1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are you a nice person? How important is being nice, to you?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Alder, Oct 27, 2015.

1. sillycanuck

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm super nice, thoughtful and friendly. One of the best. I'm also very humble.

Joking.

I am nice though lol

2. Steve FS

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Yes, I'm nice. It's the one thing about myself that I can be 100% sure about. I am a nice person and have been told by several people that I'm kind and giving, and I take pride in that. Altruism and empathy is what I do. :slight_smile:

#22 Steve FS, Oct 27, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  3. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've always been a healthy amount of selfish, I think. Enough to take good care of myself but also to be caring of others in need.

When I was little, I was scared to death of interacting with people and getting on people's bad side. I always wanted to be that one kid everyone liked, with no enemies. So I was nice to everyone in elementary. That was a huge part of my identity; being the kind and polite kid that everyone liked. And it served me well, because I never (and still don't) have any enemies in high school. But it also made me feel lonelier too, because even though I was on good terms with all my classmates, I was the class' Stiff. The Boring One. Or the one no one was interested in because I was a robot.

4. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I try to be nice but I honestly don't think I'm perceived that way most of the time. I guess a lot of people seem to think I'm too judgmental, I guess. =/

I think everybody is selfish to some extent and I don't think I'm much better or worse than anyone else. For the people I really, really care about though I can be incredibly selfless and go to great lengths to try to make them happy.

5. Phitek

I am nice. Being nice for me depends. No matter how much I dislike a person. There is this kid at school, and I will be honest he bothers me so much. I may not be nice, but I am respectful.

6. Truna

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Lol, I used to be nice to the point where I tried so hard to conform to other peoples' expectations of me. I was basically the rug you walk over at your doorstep.
    Now I have slightly more self-esteem and I can actually *gasp* make playful jabs at people or, more importantly, defend my dessert when friends want to grab some.

7. AlexanderDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I only respect those who deserve it, if that's any measure of niceness.

8. Justinian20

At first I was too nice, but in later high school I was a bit of a bitch to my friends who actually.didn't step on me and treat me as lower than my fake friends did. But when a guy is super nice to me, I'll love him because well men aren't usually typically nice, most of them used me.

9. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Exactly. There is that whole "maintaining an image" thing that ran in my family, which included being nice to people who didn't deserve it. I bought into it for a while and then busted out of that shell. I don't enjoy being "not nice" and definitely do not enjoy being mean, but when people are real jerks and they can dish it out, they should expect it in return. I tend to be polite or at least neutral, but some people do see that as being weak, especially among men. When people have trespassed and I've fired back, they weren't expecting it. They THEN tried to apologize but, mostly, it came off as rationalizing. The whole time I was thinking that had I come across as a "bad ass" or a jerk, their trespass would have never happened in the first place.

The big question is whether putting someone in their place or being mean is revengeful or it is to set boundaries. That's a hazy area.

10. Distant Echo

Am I nice? Not sure that is a word I would ever use to describe myself. Not sure anyone would use it either.
    I can be friendly, I can be polite, I can be helpful. But you hurt me, my family or my friends, I am a bitch.
    I think I'm generally a good person, within limits, and I won't deliberately hurt someone, but nice? No. Been hurt and betrayed too many times to be nice anymore.
    I do value being a bitch when needed though. It's a strength and a title I have earned.

11. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm very nice and kindhearted, and value being polite. At the same time, I'm also irreverent, and forward, though I try not to step on too many toes.

(Except with Republicans. Then, it's on a case by case basis =p)

12. SumitaSofat

SumitaSofat Guest

I am a nice person. I always be humble and polite to the people. I always ready to help them when they need help.

13. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would not describe myself as nice. I would describe myself as fair, thoughtful and rational. Sometimes that can be reflected in nice ways, sometimes others might consider it to lack sensitivity.

Human nature dictates that people are inherently selfish. However, I do believe a person can focus on their self interest while at the same time being considerate of others.

Often times, however, people let their ego get I the way of being thoughtful and considerate. And I believe I have learned that ego, if left unchecked, does a significant amount of harm. Ego can be a worse enemy than someone looking out for their own self interests.

14. crazydiamond

I'm known as a really nice person. Everyone is always surprised when anything not so nice comes out of my mouth. I try not to hurt anyone's feelings, but sometimes people take my niceness as weakness and think they can walk all over me.

15. Steve FS

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Truth

16. Atreyo

Atreyo Guest

I'm actually very nice, though it's not something I usually admit to. I tend to go out of my way to be nice at times. If I don't act on any feelings of concern or compassion, or if I am not considerate, I feel very guilty.

For example, if I went out to get something to eat with a friend or two, and you were either with us and had no money (I'd probably still offer if you had money), or without us waiting for us to return, i'd have to get you something. I never eat in front of others in my company without getting them something as well.

#36 Atreyo, Oct 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2015