1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A problem.

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Akira123, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Akira123

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm having a little problem with my how my mother seems to think about my gender even if she said she is supporting me in my transitioning and that she is happy that I am living the life I want to. Yesterday it were my birthday and she got some clothes from "Dressmann" (which is a men's clothing store) for me that I did not like at all, I pretended to like them though to not make her sad or anything.
    I think the problem is that she thinks that because she wouldn't mind to wear masculine-ish clothing then I wouldn't mind either (if that makes any sense :confused: ).
    It's not the first time they buy me clothes from there either and usually the clothes just sits and collects dust in my closet. It would be nice if they were to stop wasting money on things like that, especially since they were talking about buying more of the same since they thought it looks so nice on me :icon_sad: . I want to talk to her about it but I don't really know what to say. Some information page/pamphlet about dysphoria would probably help her understand better.
    Thankful for any advice :icon_bigg

2. Linus

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well there are some good gender resources out there... Currently I'm finding this book, "A guide to Gender" to be good at explaining...

Also, have you ever tried dressing how you want? Maybe if she sees you in girls clothes she'll think you look nice in that too. Go shopping with her, and make sure it's on your terms. Go to a girls clothing store, and then ask what she thinks of clothes you should wear.

Or, if that doesn't work for you, just show up in girls clothes. You can buy them yourself, or maybe borrow from a friend. Idk your mom though. Would this idea work?

3. Akira123

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Well she has seen some of my girl clothes and she said they were nice but she seems to prefer me having men's clothes, I'll try showing her more of them and try going shopping with her too.
    Also is this: The Social Justice Advocate's Handbook: A Guide to Gender the book you mean?

4. Jalo

Jalo Guest

My mother is the same way. It's a mom thing. They think their child will be exactly like them when it is not true.