1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gender identity does not exist, because cisgender people don't experience it

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Linthras, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Linthras

Linthras Guest

On another forum I frequent, there's been a bit of a discussion about transgender and gender identity and I've now become involved arguing with someone who asserts (subjective) gender identity does not exist, because he and other cisgender people don't actively experience it. :eusa_doh:

Oh and because neuro-science hasn't advanced enough to demonstrate a difference in brain structure and mental processes. :rolle:

2. Im Hazel

Untrue. Cisgender people just take it for granted that their brain and body matches. Also, in my experience, some people seem to have a weaker connection to their GI than others.

3. BandFangirl

BandFangirl Guest

Gender Identity is simple the mental "id card" of gender; the "I am a guy, girl, other, ect.". This is where the cisguy messed up. Cis people DO experience gender identity, the active choice to buy "guys" clothing, use the men's bathroom, or even standup when male people are called on, is actively experiencing and choosing a gender identity.

Btw: I think that this is a really interesting topic to talk about :grin:

---------- Post added 26th Oct 2015 at 03:43 PM ----------

Ya, it's kind of like the "you dont realise what you have until you loose it". For some, gender identity comes so naturally that its an unconcious thing.

(also, love the WTNV quote :icon_wink)

4. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    VERY untrue. If I were a man, I would very much wish to be a woman. My soul is that of a woman. I am cis-gendered and even I know that is bullshit.

5. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I'm sure if people called and mistook him for a woman, seriously (not some joking manner), after a while, he'd become fairly agitated about that. And why?

Point made.

6. Linus

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I mean, to most cis people it's like breathing. You don't notice breathing unless you're underwater.

7. Jalo

Jalo Guest

Nice analogy.

8. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is where people have to let go of their judgements and turn around the question.

I know if I had a male body, was referred to and treated as a male, I would hate it, because I'm just not. I'm a girl, proud to be a girl, and if someone questioned that I would hate that.

I had an interesting debate with my parents about homosexuality the other day, and they were the same.

"Well, my marriage is normal and I love him and there's just something not right. It just doesn't exist."

And then I turned around the question and told them to put their judgements aside and them being mature people, they could do that, and I significantly changed their stance on the subject. But not everybody has the ability or tries to put themselves in other people's shoes, especially when the judgement clouds that ability. And the fact that Trans people aren't accepted and cisgender is the majority

9. DinelodiiGitli

That's painfully incorrect.

There are many studies showing that gender is possibly the result of variations in prenatal hormones. If his brain was suddenly plopped in a biologically female body I sincerely doubt he'd be content with it.

And for goodness sake we don't have special neurological proof of a lot of things. There is no magic brain scan in existence that proves a person has anorexia or BPD either but we know they exist because we see and treat the symptoms.
    This isn't SOMA.

10. Linthras

Linthras Guest

I made the analogy to personal biases and personality quirks.
    Most people are unaware that they have these, yet they still exist.

---------- Post added 26th Oct 2015 at 10:10 PM ----------

Agreed. More importantly, the remarks about neuro-science not having advanced enough, have been either blind assertions or ad-hoc rationalisations.

11. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Here's what some people don't get: not everybody is like them.

As example, if I had only been around other girls my entire life I'd probably assume beards were completely fictional. Just because I don't experience it and my acquaintances don't experience it doesn't mean it's fake... That's why people get vaccinated for so many thing they've never even heard of.

12. WhereWeWere

WhereWeWere Guest

I don't experience having a penis, I guess penises must not exist either.

13. BandFangirl

BandFangirl Guest

Hahaha
    I hate the feeling of having a vagina so that, can't exist either! XD

14. FootballFan101

I dont experience starvation, cancer, rape, alzeimhers and torture so they must not exist so we should just ignore those people

15. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lemme guess, fucktards on reddit or tumblr?

16. C P

C P

Does it really surprise you when such people live without having to question much in regards to stuff like this? They typically don't care, unfortunately, because they feel learning about such topics doesn't apply to them. :x

This is a pretty nice analogy; like blinking, etc.

17. MetalRice

Of course cisgender people experience gender identity, they do so everyday, they just take it for granted because everything matches up brain and body wise.

18. Fighter694

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    According to studies gender identity develops in 3 stages and gets fixed by the age of 5 or 7 , now it's totally possible that a cis gendered person doesn't remember about his gender from childhood and how he felt cis gendered since it didn't matter to him , its only when you show variation it begins to matter! So he probably doesn't remember the feeling and has just lived on because his brain makes him do what's expected of his gender so there is no question of identity unlike people who are less clear and are trying to figure it out .