1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How "OUT" are you?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by cate1515, Oct 25, 2015.

1. cate1515

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thought it'd be fun to share where we all are in terms of out we all are.

I came out to myself last April, when me & my best friend, who already had an emotional relationship, spent an amazing night together, and admitted we were in love with each other, and both had always wanted to be with a girl.

Since then, we are both out to our husbands.. They aren't thrilled but don't prevent us from seeing each other... My parents & sister know... they are fine with it... her family does not know (nor does she think they would be ok with it). We have each told a few frends...All that we have told have been accepting.

Im going to soon come out to my longest friend... Ive known her since I was 3... we were super close throughout our middle-high school years, then kept in touch but somewhat drifted away... She just got married... I went to the wedding, and now she is back from her honeymoon we are going to have lunch together soon to catch up.. I am going to tell her.. I know she is accepting of this type of thing, BUT Im still a little nervous bc we have known each other so long and she has always known me as straight... Telling her I was pretending all along to be interested in boys, etc. Still a tiny bit nervous bc I know it will be a shock, but I really do want to tell her.

So... how out is everyone else????

2. guitar

Essentially "completely out." I mean, there is still the odd person in my life who I guess doesn't know, but my immediate and close family all know, all of my close friends, I'm out on Facebook, and have had my picture taken in the newspaper for pride and I was wearing about the rainbowiest/gayest clothes I could find that day lol. I brought my boyfriend to plenty of family gatherings and hangouts with friends, so most people tend to know.

At work, I don't advertise my sexuality, but a lot of people I've either told personally or I assume they tend to know. I try to keep my personal life and professional life at least somewhat separate, but if someone learns I'm gay, it doesn't bother me in the least: I am! Plus, I wear a pride bracelet almost everywhere I go (including to work) and I'm not afraid to comment on LGBT issues or flirt openly with guys in public.

#2 guitar, Oct 25, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  3. 50ishandout

I've gone from the Closet to totally out since March. I've told just about everyone in my life. Did a Facebook post that I got overwhelming support from.

So basically I'm "All Out ".

4. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Pretty much not out at all. Re: my bisexuality, I don't exactly hide it (note in point: my friends think/see me as a cis girl)- I never say that I won't date a girl, I sometimes drop in subtle hints about being happy to date girls, and I once told a very few of my friends quite casually that I don't exactly have a label for myself (that was a few months ago, when I was still kind of questioning, and I didn't want to say anything even though I had feelings about what orientation I was), and I think they know I'm not straight. I'm in a local GSA group and I guess a few people there assume I'm a gay girl, others just think I'm a passionate straight ally. To be honest a few friends have actually asked me directly before to tell them what sexuality I am, but I never really answered their question.

As for my gender, even more in the closet than my sexuality. I've never told anyone about it or hinted at it, I just bind and do all that but I don't think anyone notices. I don't know if my friends have a suspicion (I feel like my parents at least suspect something...), but other than that no, not at all.

I'm planning to come out at least to a person or two about my sexuality- directly and honestly this time, not dodging around the subject and only being able to drop a hint or two- before I move out of here. Gender might have to wait a bit, at least until I have a more solid idea.

And OP- good luck with your coming out to your longest friend.

#4 Alder, Oct 25, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  5. Lindsey23

Currently I'm out to my husband, therapist and one friend. Back in high school I was out to everyone as bi but I recloseted due to a bad reaction from my parents. I'm sure my old friends assume I'm bi. My new friends think I'm straight...I really hate the closet and am trying to slowly step out.

6. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm fairly close to as out as I want to be, which to me means having directly come out to a small circle of loved ones, and from there simply not avoiding/hiding/censoring with anyone else. I also feel like being out to me means being as vocal as I want about being bi when it comes up, like on FB in terms of bi issues or news, as well as being able to casually mention things like celebrity or real life female crushes in relevant conversations.

So for me, other than telling my Dad, I'm out all the way.

7. Ivy Iris

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well interesting one. I first came out as bisexual years ago. My best friend used to stalk me on dA where I might or might have not let out that I was bi. She was ok with it all and she was actually laughing when she saw my constipated face when I realized she knew. This dude who is like a brother to me knew, I mean I told him and we were super ok. Some of my now ex-boyfriends. The only girl I ever dated and the one that fancied me at some point (I was in a relationship so I couldn't really do anything about that.)

But when I came out as a lesbian...oh boy. I think my mother was the first to find out. Yeah, I am the girl that shouted out at 2 am in a hotel in London that I am gay, you might have heard of me. She was ok with it and then we spent half of the night talking about it. How I came to the conclusion since I dated a lot of guys before, if I liked any girl, if I was dating anyone, if I ever dated a girl stuff like it. It was amazing, being accepted since I thought she wouldn't. Her reaction is what made me 'try be normal' because I was really scared she wouldn't accept me. She is the only parent I have and it would have been awful if she didn't like me either. My grandparents, I know for a fact, are homophobic. And my aunt. AND my uncle as well. That wouldn't have gone well. They don't know. Hopefully they never will.

My best friend now knows. She is ok with that. My like a brother dude knows and he's ok with that. My friend from college knows and she is ok with that because she is gay too. Her best friend knows and yeah, she is ok with that. Her girlfriend or soon-to-be girlfriend knows and of course that's ok. A classmate that is bi knows but she can't stand me (well look at all the fudges I give). My friend's male bestie knows and he didn't seem bothered by it. And a couple of other people because parties man, apparently I can't keep my mouth shut. Some homophobic guy on insta knows. We had a long debate on it. I blocked him because he started saying shit about me.

I think that's it. My male best friend knows nothing and I don't know if I could ever tell him, although I probably will one day.

8. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    with regards to sexuality, im out to those who need to know, son, parents, counselor, some friends. however, with regards to gender, just my son, counselor, and some friends.

9. Vesta

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm out to my mum, a few friends, past boyfriend and recently came out last week over Facebook. I have no intention of parading my sexuality around but now I no longer have to 'pretend' to be straight either. Feels great. :grin:

10. ebda30

Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm not. Still usually struggling with being out to myself. My two sisters, mom and friend here all know, as well as my husband.

Sometimes i have a huge desire to be out. Other times not, ans wish i never siad anything at all. I refuse to come out or be open until im secure in this and/or so is my husband/our marriage.

11. CapColors

I would say more in than out, but some key people in my life do know, including my husband and my childhood best friend.

I look forward to the day when I can be casually out, but I'll have to wait a while for that happen--until I no longer have feelings for my friend and I don't work with my husband.

12. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't go out of my way to tell people, but I don't conceal it either. I work on the same principle as any straight person and tell other people when it naturally arises in the course of conversation. Recently, I've come out to a few new acquanitances by simply talking about my husband.

13. crazydiamond

I'm finally completely out and I'm glad.

14. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As bi- three people
    As lesbian- one person, and online
    As not straight and with a girlfriend- 10 people directly, at least 20 others indirectly

15. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To myself? Completely.

To others? Eh... it's complicated. Right now it's more of a "don't ask,don't tell" situation. So if someone directly asks me if I'm gay, I'll say yes (as long as it's safe to do so). A few of my friends know, and I don't exactly hide it.

But if teachers makes remarks like "oh I bet you just joined this class so you could flirt with all the boys, being one of the few girls in this class" (had a teacher basically imply this once) then I don't correct them. Same with family when they refer to "my future boyfriend". I just stay quiet with that one.

Facebook: I'm out in my "interested in" section, and I like a few LGBT positive posts (and like several LGBT positive artists, plus I used to have that rainbow filter on my profile picture but I don't anymore). If you go on my Facebook Page it's pretty obvious. :grin:

Family: I get the feeling my sister knows, chances are she's seen my Facebook. She's always spying on me. :dry: My parents have asked before, but I didn't say anything so they assume I'm straight. I don't really speak to the rest of my family much, and when I do see them the topic doesn't come up much. Sometimes my Grandma makes occasional comments about "how I'll need to get a guy as tall as me to date me" and I don't really feel like correcting her on that. Not sure how my auntie in law would take it if she knew, but something tells me not well. I know my uncle would probably accept me though, he's always liking LGBT positive posts on Facebook too.

My Granddad died a few years ago from cancer. He had a rather anti-gay stance on these kind of things, and I can't shake the feeling (and slight guilt) that if he was still alive today then I'd be a disappointment in his eyes. It's tough but I guess you just have to move on with these things. :icon_sad:

I know my distant relatives wouldn't exactly be fans of me either, since my family has some rather strict Mormon roots (and a few suicides, but we prefer not to mention that). I know when my family met up before they were kind of hostile towards my auntie (not my auntie in law, my other auntie) because she didn't have any children and isn't married. (They tend to be rather traditional, so we're kind of the black sheep in the family because of that).

Anyways... sorry for going off track a little there. :icon_redf

#15 Canterpiece, Oct 26, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
  16. CameOutSwinging

I've known and accepted that I am not straight since I was a teenager. I've also been open with friends and family about it most of that time. I stopped being open about it around 3 years ago, to the point where close friends would ask "are you still into guys?" Now I am out again to everybody, including new friends I've made in the last 3 years.

17. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm out to key stakeholders but not every acquaintance. My sexuality is part of who I am. I don't hide it or flaunt it. I'm happy and content that I no longer have to pretend to be straight.

18. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm out to most of my friends. The only family members who know are my sister and my cousin. I tried telling my mom once and she was heartbroken. So I lied and said I was lonely and confused and that I really like men. She believed me. :frowning2:

19. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am out to everyone. :slight_smile:

#19 silverhalo, Oct 26, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
  20. BroHam

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Came out to some friends! after doing some thinking and coming to terms the best that I could!