1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"She's so though! Is she gay?"

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mihael, Oct 25, 2015.

1. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yep. This was during an entertaining friendly match of football with a couple of new friends.

I heard this comment about myself, and now I'm wondering what made the guy say this. Any thoughts? Any rants? Any anecdotes? What is the stereotypical lesbian appearance or behaviour?

By the way, I would describe my orientation as "mostly straight" and "rather won't date a woman ever". I just like sports with a bit of adrenaline. :dry: And yes, my hair is long and I wear make-up (usually) and do my eyebrows. I think these count as stereotypes?

Anyway, let's rant :icon_bigg

2. Steve FS

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Eehh, I feel like I might offend some people. But I know the stereotypical lesbian appearance is the whole flannel thing. My cousin is gay and she wears those all the time.

But I've met a few lesbians that don't act like the stereotypical lesbian, either, so it's hard to say.

I feel like in your scenario, they could have been saying that because you were actually good at football? I'm assuming you were, anyway.

3. DinelodiiGitli

Eh, there's stereotypes for everything and it's best to just ignore.

"He's so feminine, is he gay?"
    "She can't be a lesbian, she isn't butch."
    "You're too pretty to be asexual."

The whole 'if a guy doesn't play sports, isn't aggressive, etc. they're not real men' has got to a go along with the 'if a girl doesn't wear makeup, has short hair, etc. they aren't lady like'.

4. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    True, the flannel thing comes up a lot.

In terms of hair there's usually the stereotype of lesbians only ever having short "Ellen" like hair or a low ponytail.

I didn't even know the low ponytail was a stereotype until I saw a Jenna Marbles video on what you're hair means and it said that if you had a low ponytail then you liked going to the library and were gay. I've found this stereotype comes up a lot.

In terms of make up, the stereotype usually goes that you either wear nothing or a ton of eye liner. I don't really get this one.

Long story short, stereotypes are weird and can be inaccurate but they're fun to talk about and play around with. :thumbsup:

5. Jalo

Jalo Guest

Everyone believes I am a lesbian because my voice sounds like a man's. It bothers me how people judge one's sexuality over stereotypes.

6. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Awww, :grin: you're being very nice. I am neither awsome nor hopeless at football, let's put it that way, ha ha

To be honest, most gay/bi people that I know are not those who you would point through stereotypes :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: But some of them do have a very non-conforming appearance that straight people pull off far less frequently in terms of percentage

---------- Post added 25th Oct 2015 at 09:48 AM ----------

The whole "never wears dresses" thing might be astereotype too, or wearing a tie or a vest :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

---------- Post added 25th Oct 2015 at 09:49 AM ----------

Or trekking boots

7. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I sometimes feel as if stereotypes exist for a reason. That's not to say that they are always true, but people generally will associate certain actions with LGBT people.

I'm gay and my friends say I'm not flamboyant and they would have not known if I didn't tell them. If someone assumes your sexuality based on a stereotype, then I guess it's up to you whether or not you want to confirm/deny the assumption. They can get annoying, but I don't think there's much that can be done about them.

8. Plattyrex

My friend actually guessed I was gay based completely on stereotypes, and therefore became the first person to know. He told me it was very obvious, which was a little upsetting because now I feel like everyone knows. So yeah, I'm not really fond of stereotypes.

9. Steve FS

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It's half-and-half for me. Half the people I've talked to said they had no idea, and other people questioned me a little. They said it was because I really sucked at throwing a ball, and that I was into a lot of "girly" things like cooking. I also have a bad habit of checking out guys openly, bahaha

I am a bit envious of the types that are a little flamboyant, as it makes getting into relationships a little easier, I feel. My friend is a bit flamboyant and he has guys fawning over him, while I'm off on the side having to come out every 10 minutes.

#9 Steve FS, Oct 25, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  10. starfish

I have a female friend who is a weightlifter. Everyone thinks she is gay. I chuckle everytime I hear it, because the two of talk about boys all the time.

11. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ha ha ha :lol:

I can catch a ball and will eat anything not to cook, that is an obvious lesbian giveaway :eusa_danc:roflmao: