1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out in a Muslim country, please help me. :(

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Lipstick L, Oct 25, 2015.

1. Lipstick L

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi everyone :slight_smile: You can call me Sally on here.
    I'm a lesbian and I'm sure about it. I have even fallen for my female best friend (I've been in love for her for three years but she's straight), and I feel so trapped because no one knows about it. I need to come out of the closet already or I might explode, literally, but I live in a country that doesn't really tolerate homosexuality... which is Syria.
    I'm in my late teens and other teenagers usually make fun of homosexuality and other things that have to do with the LGBT community, and I feel so hurt whenever it happens because I know I'm in the community and I can't tell anyone :icon_sad:

Please help me, how can I come out..? Can anyone give me some advice? Sorry for the bad English. At least give me a little advice or be there for me because it's so hard, I sometimes cry myself to sleep because I know I won't be accepted.
    Also, sometimes, whenever there is something that has to do with the LGBT comes on TV, my dad makes a rude comment about how it's wrong. I feel like crying when that happens and I felt really hurt :frowning2: :frowning2: :frowning2: I just want the people I love to know who I really am...

2. Jalo

Jalo Guest

First of all, your English is near-perfect! Don't fret.

I hate to say it, Sally, but your situation is too unfortunate. There is not much you can do- and I am so sorry to say that. I have not been to the Middle East before, but I know enough about it that they are not very tolerant of LGBTs. I beg for you, Sally, please hold on. If you wish to live a life of acceptance, you have to leave Syria as soon as possible. Please, if you can, get out of the Middle East, and go to Europe, and if possible, North America.

Let us think about this for a moment- will they still love you, though, if you come out?

3. Zen fix

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi Lipstick. I'm sorry but for your safety I believe that you will have to leave your country and go somewhere more tolerant. Once you make it out of there you are going to feel much better.

4. DinelodiiGitli

Oh dear, that is unfortunate.
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news but if I was you I'd keep it to myself, it just isn't safe.

Hopefully one day you can find yourself in a more tolerable environment but remember we're here to listen to you so if you ever need a place to vent feel free to do so.
    Best of Blessings to you.

5. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Unfortunately since you are from Syria it is MUCH better if you don't mention it to anyone. I don't normally advice this to anyone but considering the current situation in Syria I feel as if it will really put your life in danger if you opened up about it.
    It sucks but you should try and focus on finding a way to get out of there if you want to one day be able to live your life/sexuality freely. It's going to be a long and tough process but a 1000 times worth it. In the meantime you can come here whenever you'd like to tell us about your crush on that friend of yours or your life as a LGBT member in Syria. I realize it's not like being out to people you know but sometimes it's better to have a safe haven on the internet that being unsafe at home.

Hang in there doll :slight_smile: x

6. Lalayajen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I am a gay guy living in a Muslim country. I came out to a one of my friends whom I fell in love with but he was straight.
    So I fully undersand you... I can only suggest that you stay in closet. Hugs to you , sister.

7. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That sounds like an awful situation to say the least, far worse than mine even.

From my research, it seems the others are right. I know it's home for you, and everyone you know is there but Syria sadly isn't a safe place for anyone who doesn't conform to absolutely everything they consider "normal".

I know it's still pretty far away, but the closest accepting country to you seems to be United Kingdom, also known as Great Britain or England. If you can manage, I recommend doing this as soon as possible, or doing your own research safely.
    Don't let them know why if you decide to leave, maybe just pretend it's a dream to see a monument there or something. I recommend deleting your browser history after being on this site too as an extra safety measure.

Just know that if you're determined enough, you can get out and live a free life. It pains me to know so many countries are still this way.

8. larkcarmen

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh, hon, I think the others are right. But if you still need to come out, hop on a plane and tell them after you're far away. Good luck!

9. Xanesa21

Well i'm really sorry for you. Even in my country what should be more tollerant you will found people who will discriminate you for who you are.
    But really (maybe this is not good to say) it's more safe for you to stay "in the closet" for now. I don't know what about your parents. You said that your father isn't tolerant, what abour your mother?
    For real, it will be better if you first leave your country and then live your life. I know it can be hard but saddly there is nothing more you can do :frowning2:

Hugs and wish you the best <3