1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is my marriage even fixable?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by baristajedi, Oct 23, 2015.

1. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've got so much swimming around in my head right now and I don't know how to make sense of it all. I hope you guys aren't getting bored of my marriage issues. I don't know anymore what is normal in s relationship and what's not. If anyone's wondering, I've tried to get him to go to counselling with me for years, he's not interested. Diagnose us! (Just kidding), I just want some feedback, like are we even able to make our marriage work???

My husband and I have a million issues but of all the big and small ones, some big and some trivial ones stand out:

1 we aren't a team.
    I just never feel like we're ever on the same page, like we can't even see each other's perspective and can't seem to meet in the middle. I feel like when it comes to planning and making decisions there's often the thought of "I" versus "we". Or else there's just lack of discussion altogether and one of us is left to deal on our own. For example, in making parenting decisions, some financial decisions, etc.

2 Our communication sucks
    I like to deal with problems, he likes to brush them aside. We generally never do either because I'm alwats tryin on some level to work through things with him and he's always trying to avoid doing so. It degenerates into terrible fighting, and that generally happens constantly

3 we have different parenting philosophies
    This is not on the deep level, we have a sort of similar root in how we believe our daughter dhould be raised, but often even what seems like a minor difference keeps us from being able to come up with s United/consistent way of dealing with tings.

4 we've got different life philosophies

I'm off beat, quirky, take joy in little things, interested in trying new things and taking risks, he's very straight and narrow, evrn admirable qualities like his rarely drinking, eating pure wholesome foods and being very clean on his humor, etc, just irk me. I like to be a little R or X rated sometimes. I like the weird, and the eccentric, partially because I've always felt out of place in my life, and he's just so f*ing wholesome. Sex is all about purity snd lovemaking for him...I like a little spice.

5 we never have sex anymore
    I think that stems much from our other issues.

6 I'm not sure how my fulfillment of my bisexuality will ever fit into our marriage. I put this last bc I've talked sbout this on here a million times.

---------- Post added 23rd Oct 2015 at 07:05 AM ----------

Oh I forgot to add:

Nothing is equal - housework and parenting seem to fall mostly on me. (We both work full time). He is trying to improve here I suppose. I guess we both are trying yo improve in all areas, but, well. I don't feel like we're getting anywhere anytime soon.

#1 baristajedi, Oct 23, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  2. ebda30

Out Status:
    A few people
    Every thing is fixable if you want it to be. Hubs and i have realized pur marriage as been shit for a while and just didnt notice. We are in a very uphill battle right now but dont want to end it so we are foinf to try we have a lot ofthe same issues as you guys. Aside from the we i well we do but its due to him being conpletely self absorbed. Hes willing to go to counselling tho.

As far as my sexuality. It doesnt fit in my marriage, at all. Cause hes not a female. Thats anotherchoice to make. What means more to you? I know i have a funny situation and dont see things the same as others (having yourbhsuband as your closest friend since you were 14 adds an inteesting spin,) and while your sexuality is not a choice what you do with it is. I know for me right now i value my husband and our friendship too much too chnage things to more fit my sexuality. I know i CAN be okay in a hetero mono relationship as long as we are putting in the work. But he stopped a long time ago. Havign his understanding about my lack of desire for sex is also something we are dealing with, he is entirely sexually attracted to me and while i find him and always have found him physically attractive i dont have a lot of sexual desire in that way.

Guess it also boils down to what your husband can deal with as well. If hes willing to make compromises deal with things etc.

Not sure whaere i was going with this. But perhaps i dont mean this negatively or harsh but maybe your focus on your marriage and sexuality is because you DONT want to stay married? I see nothing wrong with that if thats the case. Just seems to be that your posts have gone steadily in the direction of separation/divorce. I think if you will feel better not staying married than you should consider that. Consider everything look atthe huge picture of your future and where you want it and see how your marriage plays a part in that.

#2 ebda30, Oct 23, 2015
  3. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    And just to note - I do believe I am to blame for much of our problems, I'm just venting, that's why it all sounds so one-sided.

#3 baristajedi, Oct 23, 2015
  4. ebda30

Out Status:
    A few people
    Maybe even a trial separation.

Its never one sided in a marriage takes twotoget into a marriage and it takes two to fuck it up :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

#4 ebda30, Oct 23, 2015
  5. Shadowsylke

Oh, hon...I feel for you! Hugs!

As for whether your marriage is fixable, I don't think I could or should decide that for you...but I can give you my thoughts on your points, based on my own experiences. My issues went a bit farther into control and abuse which you probably aren't having to deal with (thank God), but I think there are some overlapping themes that we share nonetheless.

To me, a marriage has to be an equal partnership - the key word there being EQUAL - everything is shared, and both parties' voices are heard and valued. You don't have to agree or see eye to eye on everything, but you do have to be allowed to have your own voice and be heard. That was one of the main problems in my marriage, the power imbalance. So your comments about things not being equal really resonate with me. Complaints like housework not being shared equally may seem silly but they're not, because they are indicative of other, deeper things. If anything feels unequal to you, it is a valid concern and should be paid attention to. I get it.

I think the different parenting philosophies and life philosophies are things that can be worked out and common ground can be found, but the team and communication aspects HAVE to be there. If he is not willing to work on these things and/or go to counseling with you, I'm not sure what more you can really do, you know? Both parties have to be willing to work on their issues and acknowledge their role in the dysfunction, or nothing will change.

I don't know if I am being helpful at all...but I just want you to know that you are not alone and we are all here for you! Having been through it, I KNOW how hard this is. And I want to tell you that no matter what happens...you work it out or you divorce...either way, you will get through it, and you will eventually feel better. (*hug*)

6. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I think there is a part of me that wants out if this marriage. But I think maybe that's short sighted and I wonder have I even really tried enough? I'm sure I haven't, so I know I need to try harder, and do more. Maybe I'm just not cut out for the hard work of marriage, I don't know.

7. ebda30

Out Status:
    A few people
    I can trll you frome xperience that you trying harder or doing more will do nothing but burn you out til there is nothing left of you. He has to be willing to work and try also. Comes down to shit tons of communication, even shitty stuff. You have to be able to talk and understand each other, really.

Have you tried using some kind of at home self help marriage books type things? I kknow the 5love languages is a popular one

Editbut again, if you can try and really FEEL what it would be like to live without him and everything that encompasses and you are content with that that you have other decisions to make. But i think only you will know that. No one can tell you and i think probably deep down you probably know the answer

#7 ebda30, Oct 23, 2015
  8. CameOutSwinging

Take away the parenting issues (since we don't have kids) and this is pretty much my fiancee and I, to a tee. Of course, that might be why we shouldn't get married...ugh.

I'm sorry you're going through this, Baristajedi.

9. SnowshoeGeek

Are you financially able to leave?

10. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks Shadow :slight_smile:. I agree that we really need to be on the same team and willing to talk/work things out. I guess all other things follow from that.

I'm sorry about the abuse you've gone through. you must be very strong to have found your way out of that. My husband is certainly not abiduve, but it's funny you bring up control issues. We have had some control issues in the past, dealing a lot with food and fitnrss. It took me a while to get the strength to face him properly on that, and I think at this point it's largely resolved. But there are some control issues at play in our past.

Ah, I just don't know how to get through all of this.

---------- Post added 23rd Oct 2015 at 08:38 AM ----------

I'm sorry you're dealing with this too, comingout. It's hard to deal with all the frustration that comes with it.

---------- Post added 23rd Oct 2015 at 08:40 AM ----------

I think if it comes down to it, probably. But I'd need to work all of that out on paper. Logistically, with my little girl in the mix, and with my family far and my job here, it does complicate things a bit though.

11. bi2me

I think if he won't agree to some type of counseling that it will be harder (but not impossible) to get your issues solved. Did you both write down what you want out of your relationship to see where there is overlap?

It seems like a lot of the issues stem from communication and expectation issues. These are certainly fixable issues, but you both have to be willing to do the work. Only you can decide if it's worth it to you to stay and fix it, stay and not fix it, trial separate to take some space and see what that would be like, or divorce.

On a separate note, I think I remember that you were also trying to figure out how much of a need/want female companionship is to you. This might play into that decision as well.

12. rachael1954

I have been reading a lot on this online lately, and it seems like any marriage, no matter where it is at, is 'fixable'. But it can take years or even decades of work to get it to where both are happy and content again.

Basically, for many of us here on this forum, when we came out of the closet to ourselves, BOOM our marriage[as we knew it] was over. Now we have the task of assessing and seeing if there is sufficient motivation to start over in a way, to put effort into what the next chapter of our marriage can be.

I don't know if I want to put even more effort into it. I'm already exhausted. But maybe if he gave up and stopped trying, then I'd step up to the plate.

The whole thing is frustrating. In a book 'Tiny beautiful things' by Cheryl Strayed, she says (paraphrasing) that it doesn't matter the reason, your unhappiness alone is enough to justify leaving a relationship.

I don't know the right answer for you, but I want you to be happy. Please keep us updated.

13. CapColors

Those things sound pretty bad, tbh. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure anyone listing only the problems in their marriage would sound bad?

14. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We did write down our ideal relationship, and we planned to talk about it last night. but then he came home feeling really badly about something at work so I didn't press the issue.

I felt that was the "correct" patient thing to do but honestly I was really annoyed inside about it. Somehow we just never address shit, it's so f*ing frustrating. It is like pulling teeth to find a moment with him and now we'll have to wait again.

---------- Post added 23rd Oct 2015 at 09:32 PM ----------

I'm with you on the exhaustion. I hope you work through your issues too (*hug*).

I feel like what you say about our orientation throwing a wrench in the marriage is certainly true, but in my case I feel like it's just one more thing piled on top of a bunch of things.

---------- Post added 23rd Oct 2015 at 09:43 PM ----------

Well, yeah, fair point. I suppose our good points are that we genuinely love eachother, he's super affectionate (I used to be too), were encouraging to one another. We have overcome a few issues or improved (incrementally)on many of our other issues, at least there's been effort to work on it, albeit it's like pulling teeth. We've made it through a bunch of moves back and forth between US and UK and made it smooth for our daughter. And I guess overall, he means well, and I for my part really have tried to make things work.

But if I'm being honest, I feel like our relationship at this point is characterised by the flaws in the OP. I don't feel we connect on anything anymore, not even trivial things like tv. We have normal loving conversation for a bit each day but underneath I feel uneasy and unhappy about the relationship as a whole.

I want to get him to really work on this head on with me, not in tiny tiny doses, but really put in the effort. But that's a pipe dream. He doesn't deal well with things in more than small doses.

So either I have to be patient and go through the motions for God knows how long or.. I don't know, other than that I guess walking away?

15. Distant Echo

(&&&)(&&&)(&&&)

I thought you needed them.

Now. The hard part.
    Is your marriage fixable? Honestly...there is so much that you are struggling with and you sound so damn unhappy. Marriage should be a good thing, something that makes you happy. Can you be happy in this marriage?

I can feel your frustration. I can feel how conflicted you are. You need time out. Time out to get your head together. Time out to be the you you want to be. Time out to process everything and find out who you are.

Do you want to fix your marriage? Do you honestly believe you can continue to live as you are right now? Is it good for your daughter to have her mother so unhappy?

I think you need a whole lot more than you have now. And I think you know it.

(&&&)(&&&)(&&&)

16. Sorrel

Hmm. Here are a few thoughts from me. If they feel wrong for you, forget about them.

I've been in that place, too. Doing the "correct, patient thing". But aren't you forgetting how that makes you feel? Doing the patient thing doesn't make you a good person. It makes you frustrated.

I think oftentimes we abandon ourselves so we can do "the right thing". But you are the only one who knows what you are going through, and you are the only one who can take responsibility for the human that is you. Whatever your body/mind is experiencing is real, and it doesn't make you a bad person, it doesn't make you less of a team player in your marriage and it doesn't mean your heart is any less filled with love and good intentions.

If you keep sacrificing yourself, you will keep experiencing the marriage as "hard", and taking "a lot of work". This is possibly an effective strategy to avoid seeing that you two are not compatible - at least not in this moment. I'm not saying that's the case. Not at all! Only you know what's true. And you can only know what's true for you, not for him, or for both of you. In that sense there is no "we". You can only experience yourself. It's your job, then, to know yourself as fully and deeply as possible, and then communicate from that place in the most honest and compassionate way you have available.

17. SnowshoeGeek

I ask, because, in the closest situation I can relate to in my own life, when I was married to a homophobic man and realized I wanted to leave, I wasn't even remotely in a position to do so, and I kept quiet for two years about everything until I was able to actually move out on my own. But, I had also made up my mind to leave him, and I had said/tried enough over that time with little enough success with him that I had no doubt whatsoever that I would leave.

What I mean is, if it's not feasible, then I hope you'll accept and be patient with yourself about the time that you need to process your thoughts. Coming to a decision that isn't feasible isn't helpful unless you intend to begin that very moment to start making preparations to make it feasible. Does that make sense? What I mean is, you could make yourself crazy by spending too long considering options that aren't options right now. I only say this because for myself I have not been able to have any objectivity whatsoever about whether/with whom to have relationships without knowing that I can truly survive on my own. And that took me a LONG time!

I don't mean to be harsh and I always feel like I sound harsh or arrogant. I only mean... don't be hard on yourself for not knowing, when it's very difficult to assess options that may not be possible at the moment.

I know my situation was not yours in the slightest, with no kids involved. It was so easy for me (relatively speaking!) I had to break a heart but not disrupt a child's life.

I just hope that you give yourself the nurturing of knowing that your own individual life takes time to build, and it is ok to take care of yourself materially while you work on how to make independence a possibility (if you decide that you'd like it to be a possibility.) That decision, in my mind, ought to come first, so that you are in a position of power to negotiate terms of a relationship.

Remember that another feature of us "later in life" is that we had plenty of brainwashing that we could rely on a man for our security and that we should do that...

Ugh, tell me that I'm being an idiot here or thoughtless. I can't tell if I am or I am not! (*hug*)

---------- Post added 24th Oct 2015 at 07:48 AM ----------

Oh, and I just remembered this great book, if you haven't seen it:

Too Good to Leave, Too Bad to Stay

18. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just an update of sorts:

Yesterday I reminded my husband that we were supposed to talk about our ideal relationship, and he was very responsive. He said - ok let's do it now and then we got into as much as we could in the time we had. We covered a lot of ground and talked about coming back to it again soon.

Of course this is just a start in addressing things but his openness and willingness to communicate meant a lot to me. And he seemed to take certain things to heart very readily. For example, I mentioned that I want him to initiate mord in terms of the grunt work in the house and parenting. So this morning we briefly went through the "hey can you be the one to get up with our little monkey?" And I thought he wasn't going to do it, but then he just took over and said "you sleep".

I know it sounds small bug if I think we are both making an effort to make things better I havd s lot more energy to make it work.

Inamirror: I agree with you, that I deserve better, and honestly I have been starting to feel like maybe I cant get that ftom my marriage. But maybe my husband and I can both be happier, if we can both invest the energy and effort.

Sorrel: I really do feel like this is advice I need to take to heart. I do tend to take all the burden on myself when it comes to home and parenting. Some part of me feels like if I don't, who will? I don't know how to break that cycle.

Snowshoe: your posts are never thoughtless, you always help me think. I feel confident about being on my own, but when it comes to being a single mom, I certainly have some fears. So regardless of where things go with my husband I do need to tackle those fears, because I have to know I can do it on my own if I have to.

#18 baristajedi, Oct 25, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  19. Distant Echo

(&&&)(&&&)

Whatever happens, know we all want the best for you, and will support you no matter what (*hug*)

20. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you :slight_smile:. I feel cautiously optimistic this morning. I think I have to take it one day at a time.