1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has anyone ever had any kind of relationship ruined by politics?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by rudysteiner, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Donteatthesushi

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    My now boyfriend at some point used to get all riled up about LGBT rights and activism for LGBT causes along with other causes and i had to sit through a thousand lectures about how this or that is wrong and the environment, i was so fed up. I love him but i was on the verge of breaking up with him, i was really reconsidering being with him. He sensed something was wrong and asked me and so i was frank and told him that i wasn't interested in any of the causes he was into and him going on about some self-righteous blindly idealistic to the point of fanaticism cause upsets me. Especially having to hear him talk about it. So then he stopped and now we don't discuss anything political when we're together.

2. candyjiru

Sometimes~~ I'm almost never offended, but other people tend to get really worked up about things even when I'm just stating my opinion... sigh. Why can't we all act like adults? smdh...

One girl I've fallen out with because she got angry that I said I was sad when I saw bigoted remarks after the scotus ruling... She was like, "I NEVER SAID BAD THINGS! I JUST POSTED AND LIKED A BUNCH OF STUFF LIKE THAT" and I was like, "Umm, I didn't say you... I just said people in general..." but she was still angry >.> And these days a couple of people are a bit miffed at me because I'm pro gun regulation... and one girl just has guns lying around and thinks that when kids and such get accidentally harmed or killed by guns that it's natural selection >.> it's a little awkward, but idgaf... I told her my opinions and she said if a few toddlers get offed by their parents' guns then it's fine because she wants to shoot intruders... so... that's kind of the end of the conversation, haha~ I can only logically give my opinion, and if someone wants to think about it, cool~ if they want to offer their side, even better... but when their side is just so off the mark from where I stand, the only thing you can do is agree to disagree~

3. GenderSciFi

Loads 'n' loads. But then, I was always a quite political person. I never want to actively turn away from anybody unless it's really bad, though. But once, for example, my whole social surroundings broke apart because of one political conflict, and I was with one faction, and my friends there weren't really understanding about the fact that I still had a relationship with one of the other faction.
    It was all quite Romeo & Juliet, heteronormatively spoken. Hmmm, which one would've been me? :lol:
    Let's say Romeo.
    Nah, but I've defriended people because they were kinda antifeminist or macho, including, eventually, Juliet.

#23 GenderSciFi, Oct 23, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  4. Weregild

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Friendships, yes.

5. rudysteiner

I absolutely agree with this.

I think that someone's political views do (arguably) represent their values when it comes to right-wing parties, but when it comes to left-wing parties, a person's views don't fully represent their values. For example, my mum is (possibly - I haven't found out yet) homophobic, and she's a Labour supporter.

6. armydude

armydude Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yeah. Me and Barack would probably still be together if it wasn't for that damn GOP.

P.S.... Still #judgin you, Michelle.