1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nanowrimo 2015 Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by thepandaboss, Oct 18, 2015.

1. thepandaboss

Hey.

I know some of us here are writers too and I thought I'd make this thread just in case anyone planned on participating in Nanowrimo.

What are you fellow Nano-ers working on this year? Are you a pantser or a plotter?

Who else is stoked to write a novel in a month?

(and I doubt anyone needs the reminder but don't post links to your Nano account).

2. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh yes it's coming up! I haven't participated in it any year before, unfortunately, but I've been meaning to. I really want to do it this year...better go search up some details. Or at the very least complete some form of writing by the end of November.

3. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I think my sister is doing it this year. She tried once in high school but couldn't finish. XD We'll see what happens this time!

4. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    *Sigh* I mean, sure, why not? Whatever gets me off my ass to put pen to paper. I am 100% sure I'll fail, but, for someone like me, kickstarting the whole process will be more than achievement enough.

I'm plotter btw. To a fault. I'll probably waste the first couple of weeks just researching and schematizing the overall structure of the narrative.

5. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Nope.

It took me a year to finish the one novel I've actually written... and I'm still editing the damn thing almost two years later. :roflmao:

And I'm a little of both, but leaning towards "pantser". For my novel I worked out the barest-of-bones plot... then flew by the seat of my pants after chapter four. That thing went nowhere near where I intended on going with it, but overall I'm happy with it.

For those who are doing NaNo, have you thought about posting your chapters as EC blog entries so your fellow EC people can see your work, or are you guys not intending on sharing it? (Now that I think of it, I may do that with my short stories...)

#5 ThatBorussenGuy, Oct 19, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
  6. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm going all-in this year! I'm a part of one virtual group and two in-person ones and plan to attend as many meetings as possible throughout the month.

7. Acanthophis

Out Status:
    A few people
    This will be my second one. I've been waiting for November 1st since December 1st. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. Eye Shine

It sounds interesting, but what is the point? I'm really curious about it.

9. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good luck everyone! :slight_smile: I need to revise, revise, revise so I'm going to have to skip this year.

10. guitar

A friend and I are both debating doing it. I do a TON of writing in my daily life (and not on this site). Also work a lot, and am generally rather busy without trying to write a 50k word book on top of it all! But I'd like to try. I've got an idea and have it mapped out a bit, but beyond that, it's just a matter of writing it. I guess we'll see what happens...

11. PerditionRawr

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Ooh, yes. I've been doing so for about 5 years now :slight_smile:
    I start out as a plotter and (d)evolve to a pantser as I find more interesting ways to deal with character development (4 years ago, my trashy high school coming of age story turned into some really weird parallel universes thing).

I write a lot, but I never quite finish projects, so I love NaNo. It gives me the incentive to get off my ass and, well, get back on my ass and type :grin:

12. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm far too slow a writer and far too busy IRL to consider nanowrimo :tears: but I will be writing this coming month regardless, at the briskest pace that passes my own harsh quality control.

#12 Argentwing, Oct 23, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  13. brightbutterfly

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll participate for the first time. Have no idea if I can actually write 50,000 words but I'd like to learn a way to write more than 200 words every day. Usually I write every week if not more often. And if I only write 6000 words (200 x 30) during NaNoWriMo then I at least have 6000 words more for my project.

14. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Just three more days...

Why am I putting myself through this again?

15. thepandaboss

Yes, it's coming right up. Would anyone here be interested in a virtual write-in on EC by the way? I figure we could just make a thread and do word wars or something.

16. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Word wars? Elaborate.

17. thepandaboss

You basically set a timer and try to write as many words as you can within a short stretch of time (anywhere from five minutes to however long you want them to be).

18. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh god no lol not for me at least. I'm already sweating bullets in anticipation of the month-long timer NaNoWriMo entails, that's more than enough pressure already for someone as thorough, slow and indecisive as I am. Crunching words in bursts measurable by minutes would destroy me.

But you are welcome to create the word wars thread(s?) without me, it would surely light a fire under my ass to see everyone working hard to meet their quotas.

#18 RawringSnake, Oct 28, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  19. Lyana

I'm in. :slight_smile: I've participated most years since I was 13, barring a couple hiccups along the way. There's a novel I really, really want to finish before the end of the year, so...
    (I tend to use NaNo to finish or advance on works-in-progress, since it's rare that November rolls around and finds me wanting to start something new. 50k new words, but rarely the first 50k of a novel for me.)

I love NaNo! I'm mostly a plotter. Virtual write-ins could be nice, but I probably wouldn't be logged in at the right times. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

20. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Do the words actually have to be part of a story or can they just be a large chunk of whatever's off your head in the time limit (I dunno, maybe a random scene or chapter on the spot)? Anyways I'll be happy to participate if you do make a thread. Sounds fun. I'll probably go for 5 minutes and see what I can randomly come up with.

Meanwhile, I'll attempt to finish one of my novels, probably unofficially. But I will concentrate on it especially diligently this November.