1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finding a therapist

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Acuba403, Oct 17, 2015.

1. Acuba403

So I'm out to most of the important people in my life, and I've started seeing a therapist but she by no means specializes or even knows about trans people. So I need to look for a gender therapist who can actually help me, that's my problem. Where can I reliably find a gender therapist, I've looked online and all the ones I've seen look really sketchy and unreliable. I'm in western Canada if that info is needed.

Any help is appreciated :slight_smile:

-A

2. Ronin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Tbh, a competent and reliable therapist at all should be able to help. They don't really need to be a "gender therapist". If they did, there'd be a lot of trans folk SOL lol. I was the first trans person my therapist had in her 20+ years of experience. But she was able to generalize her training to this area. Therapists get all sorts of people coming in so generalizing is a good skill for them to have xD She did have to learn a few things, partly from me and partly from her own research, naturally.

Have you talked about this specifically with your therapist yet? Like if she would be comfortable exploring this with you? If she's not comfortable with it, maybe you can ask her if she knows anyone with LGBT experience in your area or one who'd be willing to arrange something over Skype or whatnot. Alternatively, go therapist shopping lol. Seriously. Start e-mailing and/or calling therapists in your area and see what they say.

I mean, if you can find a gender therapist who is good, go for it ofc, that's awesome. Maybe someone here will be able to give you some ideas for that. But I just wanted to say that if you can't find one, you should still be able to get good quality care.

#2 Ronin, Oct 18, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
  3. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Have you tried google? If you enter "gender therapists in *insert zip code/city here*" you should get some results.

4. Jalo

Jalo Guest

Not necessarily. A gender therapist may be required for getting surgery or being put on hormones.

5. Acuba403

Thank you very much

6. Groosenator

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can't speak for Canada, but my therapist was primarily a marriage and family therapist. Any official/medical paperwork that described the letter I would need only said a "mental health professional" to give a recommendation letter. I would definitely try to find a therapist who at LEAST makes a nod at LGBT on their bio, it would be pointless to get a therapist who is completely unfamiliar with WPATH (World Professional Association for Transgender Health). My therapist was a member thereof, but she was definitely not a "gender therapist."

I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to find one, but if you can't find a gender therapist in your area or that you can afford, a regular therapist who is familiar with WPATH should be fine I imagine.