1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is is OK to call myself lesbian? Would that offend lesbian women?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Julietta, Oct 16, 2015.

1. Julietta

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi everyone, I'm new here.

My question is quite similar to TeaTree's below.

I'm 40yrs old, I was sexually active with men since my teens, I was into clubbing and partying hard and had a LOT of men in my life let's just say. I had a few attractions and some small incidents with women but I never questioned that I was straight, I might have said maybe bi-curious.

Then things got really out of hand with my drug use (ecstacy & coke mainly) and drinking. Just over 10 years ago I had a serious mental breakdown and I came to realise that I was extremely unhappy from my traumatic childhood (I had a very abusive childhood) and all the sex with men and the partying had been just a massive 'cover up' for the deep and profound pain I was in. Plus over the years I have suffered sexual violence, abuse and assaults perpetrated by men.

I read a lot of self help books including stuff like Women, Sex, and Addiction by Charlotte Davis-Kasl and did a lot of recovery work. I realised the only way forward in my life was to quit drugs and quit men for a substantial period until I got well. Like I say that was over 10 years ago. I have never had sex or a relationship with anyone since.

Over time and through various processes I turned into a bit of a 'man-hater', which I am not staunchly any more, just a little bit. But I certainly do not find men sexually attractive whatsoever, I find the idea of being with a man repulsive and it makes me feel nausea if I think about it. At the same time I feel strongly attracted to women, I fantasise sexually about women and I crave the opportunity to be in a relationship with a woman. But I have no experience except a few sexual encounters when I was younger which were more really like swinging or promiscuity. People who know me of old would be VERY shocked if I said I'm gay at this point in my life not because they're judgmental or small minded but because I used to be such a slapper and such a 'man's woman'.

Also, I'm worried that lesbians would find me labeling myself lesbian offensive. I know a lot of lesbian women say they were born that way and it isn't a choice. I don't want to offend anyone but I honestly truly believe and feel in my heart I'm 100% lesbian. But I can't exactly 'prove it'.

I've been on strong medication for many years which removed my libido entirely. Since I quit that medication 6 mths ago I have started to think about this issue a lot. I would like to start dating and I realised I am ONLY interested in women. I could not define myself as bisexual, I could never be with a man again. I feel like I've totally changed and it's very confusing. I have no idea where to start, I'm not working, I've been on sick benefit for 10 yrs now. I'm not fit enough to do the work I used to do and I've long since lost all my work. I'm battling severe depression and anxiety so I am not a good catch for any woman. The only thing I have going for me is when I'm in a good frame of mind I'm sociable, chatty, creative, intelligent. I'm also good looking and look far younger than my real age. I'm trying to lose the bit of extra weight I gained whilst I was ill and get fit again so at least I have something to offer. I know a lot of lesbian women are very proud of being fit, healthy, and having a profession. My self esteem is rock bottom, I don't know where to start making new friends never mind meeting gay women.

Meantime. Please can someone tell me.

- Would lesbian women find it offensive that I call myself lesbian?

- How does anyone get started meeting women at my age when they have no prior experience?

- Are there any members here in London UK? Does anyone know any good resources or therapists / counsellors?

THANK YOU so much for reading this long post. All help gratefully received :slight_smile:

xxx J xxx

2. High Art

Hi :slight_smile:

I have a similar sexual past - and have struggled with the same question. I have a few lesbian friends (2 who know I'm gay, a couple who don't) and I've heard from them that gay women find their sexuality in different stages of life. There may be people who don't want to accept you - but that's their own stuff going on.
    Some women identify as lesbian and still sleep with men. Some lesbians eventually marry men. So really, whatever you feel you are - you are.

I am just personally not ready to exclaim it to the world. Mostly telling the few people that I'm not straight, pretty sure I'm gay - not ready for a label, but getting there :slight_smile:

3. Julietta

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi High Art :slight_smile:

Thanks for the reply. I the same as you about the label, I don't feel ready for it but recently had to fill in some forms for various reasons (community college registration and such like) and they all asked about sexual identity. This pushed the 'label' issue forwards for me because I've been using the 'prefer not to say' option for the last few years.

I know that funding, resources, and support is gained by how many people tick which box and minority groups have to be supported. So I suddenly felt overwhelmingly wrong to keep putting 'prefer not to say'. I thought no way am I putting bisexual. So I started ticking gay / lesbian or 'same sex', although it felt alien and strange to do so, it also felt RIGHT. But my heart & mind are not aligned.

Also another difficulty I have is I live in C London, it's very multicultural and my local area has a high percentage of bi, gay, trans, everything. As a single woman with no kids, people occasionally directly (on a friendly basis) ask how I identify myself. That is super awkward. I usually just say 'not straight' and leave it at that. Like yourself I'm not ready for, if ever, to go around announcing a label. In fact that time may never come because I don't see why I should have to explain myself to anyone.

If / when the time comes that I am dating a woman I shall simply tell people who know me that this is my partner. If they raise a few eyebrows or such that doesn't matter. Also, I don't know if this has happened to you but I've had to fend off a few guys and that is super awks. Such as friend of friend saying X is interested in you. I've just kept it to a simply 'I'm not interested' with no explanation.

4. High Art

It does seem unfair to have to exclaim one's sexuality... yet at the same time, I would really like to feel connected to a specific identity. I am like you - bisexual feels wrong, straight feels wrong. Gay or lesbian feels right, but I don't feel like I've earned it.

I'm working on that one!! What about queer? That's kind of an umbrella term.

5. Distant Echo

You can call yourself whatever feels right to you. No one else has the right to get offended by yor choice.

Yeah...I know I'm not straight, and realising, finally, I'm not bi. I just sort of assumed I was...as for what i am i am working on it.

6. SnowshoeGeek

Welcome Julietta!

I am struggling with a similar history (three marriages to men and dozens of male lovers vs. a few one-time encounters with women) so I too am curious about how to identify myself and am searching and talking with people.

I was at a PFLAG meeting recently and a very staunch lesbian said, "A woman can have no sex with women her whole life and still be a lesbian."

Your approach (staying away from relationships) is validating for me and I admire that you have done it for so long. I am just starting at 50 to allow myself to consider myself unattached as an identity for a while. So kudos for that! I see it as the best way to understand what's inside, to have nothing on the outside. I always wondered, what if this is just me looking at the "greener grass" on the other side of the fence?

So again welcome! and there are so many supportive people here. (&&&)

7. Julietta

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well I'm queer alright in every sense of the word :grin: Nobody could dispute that!

---------- Post added 19th Oct 2015 at 02:18 AM ----------

Hi SnowshoeGeek!

Thanks for the welcome & reply. I think it's great you're out there talking to people in real life as well as here. I am taking baby steps towards doing that, ie thinking about attending a local 'Friends' support drop in centre which has groups and facilities for all colours of the rainbow including a 'coming out group' and all manner of discussions and social events.

I agree that a woman can be lesbian without having experience, my previous therapist said that during conversation once, although she wasn't aiming the comment at me personally (I don't think...) haha :/

For me abstaining from relationships was extremely easy because I was sick and tired of the turbulence, drama, and high velocity of it all. I think a person has to get to that point to truly achieve change. And easier again for me I had already started to consciously stop liking men in many ways feeling aggrieved about my past. When I stepped off the emotional rollercoaster and all I truly wanted was peace of mind, it was extremely easy. In fact it got so nice being alone that it's taken all this time to want to even think about moving on from my celibacy phase into the dating world again. Also, like I said I was on medication that removed my libido so I wasn't having the normal urges - for most people an unhappy side effect, for me it was bonus.

I hope you reach some resolution. I'm no expert but all I know is there's some kind of process that you can't rush. If you stay true to yourself, one day you will feel sure in your heart of something, whatever it is. I think that's when a state of true integrity has been achieved.

Anyway, glad to be here and thanks for the warm welcome x J

8. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Julietta welcome to EC :slight_smile:. I probably don't have any great advise for you and I have never been in your situation but I thought I would give you my advise on your questions and throw that into the mix.

- Would lesbian women find it offensive that I call myself lesbian?
    I think there are some that would, there are always people that are controversial and opinionated but I also think that most wouldn't. We all have our own story and we have all walked a different path. The fact you have slept with a man/men in the past doesn't mean any less that you cant label yourself a lesbian any more than the fact we tell other women they don't have to have slept with a woman to know they are a lesbian. If it feels right to you then go for it.

- How does anyone get started meeting women at my age when they have no prior experience?
    I would suggest some sort of LGBT meet up group, depending on what kind of hobbies you have or things you are interested in. I know in some places there are Lesbian dinner groups or reading groups or walking groups. There is also of course online dating but that depends if you are looking for friends or more than that.

- Are there any members here in London UK? Does anyone know any good resources or therapists / counsellors?
    I actually used to live in London for a bit, but with my girlfriend and we didn't do any LGBT things exactly so I cant really help you there but London is so vast that I am sure all the things you are looking for are there you just have to find them. Have you done any google searching?

9. ThatRangerGirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I really don't think that it would offend anyone.

10. 7889

Identy is about you. This is something only you get to decide. If you want to call yourself a lesbian that is what will be accepted - by me:slight_smile: Haha

11. Assassin'sKat

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's possible that your sexual experience with men was a way to distract yourself from the pain you were feeling. It's possible that your bad experiences are making you repulsed from men. Either way, it sounds to me like you are genuinely attracted to women. It isn't offensive if you call yourself gay. Whatever the case may be, you are not interested in men at all right now, and are interested in women. But you might just be curious.

To answer your question, no, it isn't "offensive".