1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ethics of "curing" homosexuality and transexuality

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AlamoCity, Oct 15, 2015.

1. AlamoCity

Another ethical (but modern-day actual issue) comes with treating trans people who are minors. Many children know they are trans but don't have either the parental support and/or access to the puberty blockers/hormones needed to prevent the ravages of puberty in the wrong body from taking over. The conundrum with treating trans kids is that, the quicker you provide access to certain drugs and therapies, the easier it is to adjust long term and have fewer effects of the natural sex hormones the body produces; however, the younger the child is, the bigger the issues of informed consent and a child's ability to explain what they are feeling. And, then, because they are minors, parents must still countersign the decision (and also hold essentially veto power). So, should parents actually hold the right to withhold such treatment if a therapist and child agree to, or should the child avail themselves of the courts to seek relief? Would such relief be petitioned on the basis that the treatment is "urgent" and "life-saving?"

2. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think autism is necessarily something that's desirable to be cured, as it really depends on how extreme it is. Most of the autistic people I know seem quite happy the way they are. But if it bothers someone, I guess they should be able to do something about it... I believe I have Asperger's Syndrome (no confirmation on that one yet) but I have no desire to 'fix it' though I might need extra help with improving my social skills, coordination, the management of my emotions, etc. I like that I am different, even if it makes life hard. But people with autism are often offended by the idea that they should be 'cured', unless they are seriously suffering. I hope people wouldn't try to cure Asperger's in the womb; I find that unethical. Hopefully people who want to cure autism would only do it in the more disabling cases rather than for everyone... Just felt like I needed to point this out; not everyone with autism desires to be cured.

'Curing' homosexuality is wrong for obvious reasons. Trying to 'cure' transsexuality doesn't sound quite so horrible if you are fixing the body rather than the mind (messing with people's minds is... messed up). Although, problems could arise from that too, I guess. Perhaps it's impossible to call it ethical if there's no consent.

3. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Most autistic people I know, while they may not be the most socially graceful, tend to have one or two areas they specialize in and, from my experience, just crush the competition.

One fellow I know of, he's autistic. He doesn't really know how to talk in general, you know, small talk is difficult for the guy, but if you get him on the subject of outer space -- and he becomes an Einstein, just filled with encyclopedic knowledge of the solar system and whatnot. In this regard, he's useful and entertaining as hell.

As for the topic itself, most have already covered the basics. Only thing I can really add is, as a transgender individual myself, I can see why this type of procedure could be beneficial. But like with anything, you have to keep an eye on those who perform these services, as it gives them a tad too much power... more than I am comfortable with anybody (but me) having.

4. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Being gay is unethical to "cure", I can't speak for autism, personally I really wish there was a cure for transsexualism in the womb. It would be preferable if it were after a person was born, so then they could choose to be allistic/straight/not trans

5. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, I suppose I'm happy for those who are happy with themselves. I have Aspergers, myself, and I'd give my right arm to be rid of it. In real life, I'd rather die than have people know; I only reveal it on here to make a point, and because none of you know who I am (and even saying it here puts me on edge). It has fucked my life up in so many ways. If someone was to come up with a cure, I promise you, I'd be first in line.

Now forcing it on people, that, I would never agree to. But for those like me that hate who they are because of it, it would be nice if that was an option.

#25 ThatBorussenGuy, Oct 19, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
  6. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's a big part of who I am, and I just wouldn't be myself without it. It's sort of like how gay people are annoyed that they're gay because of the struggles that come with it, but they wouldn't feel right changing it.

I think I can understand what you're saying though, because it's a real bother most of the time. I just feel that, even if I have trouble relating to people and making friends, I have a unique perspective that makes me an interesting person.

7. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    These what ifs drive me nuts about the hypothetical instead of should we it makes me long for the wish I could have the "cure" of aligning my sex with my gender.

But I get the major implications in bioethics.

Too bad we all couldn't just have a big character creator before we are born.

#27 Kasey, Oct 25, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  8. DinelodiiGitli

I don't consider homosexuality to be undesirable so the 'curing' of it is unneeded in my eyes.

Now sometimes I wish I was just born male, It would be easier but a part of me feels like I'm a better person due to being trans. I think I'm more understanding of some things.

I can't speak for those who are autistic as I am not (at least not that I know of) however I sometimes wish there was a way to prevent mental illness. I'd be more content without my eating disorder and I'd probably live longer.

I need this.
    Scientists, if you're reading this get to work.
    Also make Pokemon.

9. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I wish I had that option when I was that young! If the kid really does know who they are, then I actually think early HRT would be beneficial in the long run. The only concern that I have is that very young children might be mix up gender roles with gender itself. For example, a boy who likes to wear dresses is not necessarily dysphoric at all, and might think he is trans because of societal misconceptions about transsexualism. If the kid is dysphoric and not just non-conforming, the treatment would be life-saving. I think that puberty blockers at a young-ish age (11-13?) and HRT in the teen years would be ideal for a child who is sure that they are trans, but the line gets fuzzier with people that realize that they are/aren't trans at puberty.

I don't think that someone's beliefs should be an obstacle to other people getting important treatments, but I'm not sure what a good system would be.