1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No choice but to live a lie

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Jamie1975, Oct 15, 2015.

1. Jamie1975

Hi Guys

Please bear with me as you read this as it is very difficult for me even to admit it.

I am a 40 year old man, who has been married in the past but now divorced for 3 -4 years (not due to my sexuality) Also have a 5 year old daughter who doesn't live with me but stays on a regular basis.

Basically I think that I do have feelings for men (not a specific one, in general), so much so that I visit gay chat rooms, go cottaging and saunas and generally try to look at men's penis's whenever I am in public loos or changing rooms.

Whilst I know there is nothing wrong with this, I don't feel I could ever "come out" due to the attitudes of my ex wife, both regard to homosexuality and with regard to me seeing my daughter. Yes I know she cant stop me seeing my daughter but she makes life difficult enough for me already due to her mental health issues and just feel this would make it even worse.

I just hate living a lie and not being able to do what I want. Guys in the chat rooms often ask to come over to my place (which I know has its own risks anyhow) but am just worried in case my ex decides to visit (she has keys) or the guy suddenly turns up at another time.

The other issue I have is my physical appearance. I am overweight and have a small circumcised penis. Consequently when I do get the courage to go to a sauna etc I don't get a lot of interest. Yes I know there is the expression "someone for everyone" and also a definite chaser community but just want a bit of interest when I do get up the courage for some casual sex.

Please do give me some support and don't just say I have to have the courage to "come out" as it isn't that easy !

Thanks

Jamie
    xx

2. Distant Echo

(&&&)(&&&)(&&&)

Don't worry. No one here is going to think any less of you because you haven't come out. I've come out to one person.
    Everyone here is struggling for one (or many) reasons.

Welcome.

Now..honestly, the first thing I would do is change your locks. Seriously. She gets to control your life because she can impose herself in it any time she pleases. You are entitled to your privacy.

And you have made the first step in finding a way to deal with this. You came here and asked for help. Baby steps, but that's a big one.

3. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If she has mental issues, are they diagnosed or is that just your perception? If diagnosed, does she have custody of your daughter?

As suggested above, change your locks!

Nothing should stop you from exploring your sexuality. If your not comfortable having people go to your place, why not go to their place? First meet publicly, then if the person passes the initial "smell" test, head to theirs.

London is such a big city. There are plenty of opportunities for you to explore and experiment.

#3 OnTheHighway, Oct 15, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
  4. Jamie1975

Hi Guys

Changing my locks isn't really an option as I live in rental and not allowed to.

It's not just the fact that she could walk in at any time it is also the worry of her just turning up at any time, whether she has keys or not.

Yes she does have parental responsibility of daughter although we have shared custody with me having daughter every other weekend + certain number of weeks holidays.

No concern how she treats kid, is more how she treats me I have concerns about.

Just feel I will never be able to be free, both from her and with regard to sexuality, sad I know.

Yes some will say I do have a choice, but not really !

5. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your divorced? How could you not be free from her? I don't exactly understand that.

6. Jamie1975

Cause she still has a lot to say and still wants my support + I have to see her re my daughter.

Yes I see what you are saying but it not that simple. I just don't think she would re-act at all well if I were to "come out"

Saying that even if I did no gay man would want me anyhow, if past experiences are to go by !!

:tears::tears:

7. 50ishandout

Firstly, contact your landlord and explain that your ex has keys to your apartment and you would like the locks changed. I'm sure you'll have to pay for it, but it will be worth it for your peace of mind.

Second, although different the laws regarding parental custody are similar to those here in the States. Hire a good Barister and review your custody issues.

Third if your ex has mental health issues you should also have these addressed with the Barister.

Fourth If you want to have someone over you go right ahead. Your an adult and your ex should have zero space in your head as far as anything is concerned about your sexuality.

Lastly, ENJOY LIFE. ENJOY BEING YOU. WE'RE ONLY HERE FOR A FINITE TIME LIVE YOUR LIFE.

8. Sorrel

Hi Jamie1975. Welcome.

Reading your posts, it sounds to me like you have two things on your mind: your ex and her influence on your life, and your sexuality. They also overlap a bit, since you feel that your ex is hindering you from exploring who you are or how you would like to live.

I understand it's nowhere near easy to make changes to the way things are. Many of us here on EC are or have been in similar situations. If it doesn't feel right to ask your ex to return your keys, don't do it. Whatever you do, it has to feel right. However, it sounds to me as though you're asking yourself how much she should be allowed to influence your life, and that is a healthy thing.

We're here for you :slight_smile:

9. High Art

All of this is incredibly difficult. But you DO have a choice. You have choices and you have excuses. Yes, your excuses are totally valid, but do you want to live making choices, or making excuses?
    You have a supportive community here, we are rooting for you, and all of us know that none of this is at all easy.
    (*hug*)

10. Jamie1975

I just cant cope with it.

Going out for a brisk walk and will be back on later.

Don't worry I not going to do anything silly !!

11. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I still don't understand how can she have a lot to say with your life? Are you getting maintaince payments from her?

12. Shadowsylke

Wow. We should all frame this comment and put it up on our walls! :thumbsup:

13. CapColors

Man, take it slow; don't worry about everything at once. See if you can focus on one issue at a time.

A small change might make you feel good: maybe get those locks changed and use that as a symbolic stepping stone to taking charge of your life.

Work on your sexuality LAST, work on your ability to see yourself as a valid person FIRST. The sexuality seems to be the least of your issues to me.

#13 CapColors, Oct 15, 2015
  14. Jamie1975

Mixed feelings tonight.

Made a big step forward by meeting up with a guy and having some "outside fun"

Just now worried he will trace me or something, as I picked him up from a random meet up place in my car (unlikely I know)

I don't see that changing the locks would really achieve much about from increasing her suspicion, as she would then be asking "why don't you want me having a key" which I am defo not ready to "come out" and if I made some other excuse she would just turn up anyhow and ring the door bell !

But anyhow a little step forward for me tonight !!

Please don't criticise me for being weak. I need love and support, not criticism as this is really hard for me

xx

#14 Jamie1975, Oct 15, 2015
  15. High Art

Baby steps are great. And I think cap colours is right, self love!!! You are worthy :slight_smile:

16. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Many of the questions you are asking yourself seem to arise from a place of fear; fear of coming out now, fear of your ex and her reaction to you coming out, fear of losing access to your daughter, fear of forming relationships with other men. It's a fairly heavy mix and there is no wonder you are struggling with it all Jamie. (*hug*)

So how do you try to move forward? Well, first of all take some deep breaths and avoid panicking about it because it will not help to get so wound up. I would then suggest you think about obtaining some advice on your parental rights, because a lot of the fear is driven by a lack of awareness of your basic rights. As things stand you are not being denied access to your daughter and things seem reasonably calm, but it's understandable that you should worry about what might happen. How would you feel about talking to Citizens Advice in confidence about your circumstances? It may seem rather daunting, but the advisors at the CAB are trained to help without judging and knowing exactly where you stand should give you a degree of confidence + it's free advice.

Changing the locks to your place need not be an issue. If I were a landlord, I would want to ensure that only my tenant had keys. If your landlord discovers that your ex is no longer resident, he/she could quite reasonably ask for the keys to be returned or have the locks changed. All you need to do is offer that as the reason.

Try to deal with things one at a time in order of priority. As it stands you have a whirlwind of thoughts going round in your mind and it would probably prove too distracting to have any kind of meaningful relationship with another guy just yet. If you can begin to prioritise you may find yourself in a better place for dating a bit further down the line.

In the meantime continue talking about your feelings. It's far better to say what's on your mind and most of us will have at lease some personal experience or the ups and downs you are facing right now.

17. Distant Echo

You could tell your landlord that you lost a set of keys and you are worried about so done using them to get in?
    As for telling your ex why she can't have a set? Because you've given the spare set to your girlfriend? Put her off the track and reclaim your life.

Just one thing. You are in an abusive relationship with your ex. She is still controlling your life and the keys are just one symptom. You need to reclaim yourself. I know it's not easy. But it can be done. I've been where you are, an ex that stalked me and had his friends reporting back if there was a car outside my house. He used threats rearding the kids to stop me from seeing anyone while trying to terrorise me into coming back.
    The best thing I ever did was stand up to him.

And it was hard. And scary. And it took a lot of time and energy and stress, and in that moment, a lot of anger to do it. But damn. It felt great.

Reclaim your life. You are allowed to have one.

18. Jamie1975

Feeling a little better today.

Maybe one day I might be able to live a true life, but cant at moment.

Did think about reverse psychology on my ex by asking if she saw the new survey on tv that said more and more 2nd relationships after divorce are now with same sex person, just to judge her reaction and I can also then say I don't see a problem with it.

Then asking a generic question rather than talking about myself??

:kiss::kiss:

19. AshleyDi

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Why would you think you are gay just because you take risks by peeping at guys in the bathroom? Honesty, people shouldn't be doing that anyway, it's rude.

20. Jamie1975

Hi Ashley

Sorry if my bathroom comment offended you, it wasn't meant to. Maybe I shouldn't have worded "try to look" but rather often notice them.

I am really struggling here, whether I am bi-sexual or not and do not think that comment was entirely fair. I don't think at all that my sexuality rests on that one badly worded sentence it goes a lot deeper than that.

Please bear with me guys and forgive me if I word things slightly wrong. No offence is caused and I am certainly not taking my sexuality decisions lightly.

Maybe I should just crawl back into the cupboard that I was previously starting to open the door on. Maybe I shouldn't be expressing how I truly feel.

Kindest regards to all

Jamie
    xx