1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why is that usually straight girls crush on singers?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by lemons123, Oct 10, 2015.

1. lemons123

One thing I've noticed over the years it's almost always straight girls crushing on male singers(bands)...all other combos seem rare:

les/bi girls on female singers.
    gay/bi guys on male singers.
    straight guys on female ones.

And on topic, a guy mostly everyone should/would crush on (sexy French guy...and I don't even usually consider french to be so sexy contrary to common opinion):

[YOUTUBE]NbVnbwCKigo[/YOUTUBE]

2. timo

I prefer the drummer.

3. angeluscrzy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I guess that makes me rare? I have had several crushes on singers in bands.

4. candyjiru

Hmm, I crush on both male and female singers... but, I guess that would make sense for me? XD;;;

5. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think that's true. I suppose we would talk about it less, though. It's not as "appropriate" for a girl to mention that another girl is hot.

Has anyone seen Lzzy Hale? Ahhhh <3

6. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It might be because it's more seen in media and also just publicized more. I don't think it's necessarily true that "straight girls crushing on male singers" is the biggest demographic. Also, people might assume that in that huge crowd of girls gushing over male singers, they're all straight girls, but that isn't true- bi/pan/etc girls can and do too, except it's pretty much impossible to tell what sexuality they are just by look alone. They definitely aren't all straight though.

Personally I've absolutely seen many, many girls crushing on female singers. There are crowds of gay/bi/pan girls having crushes on female musicians at the very least online- I don't think it's rare, but like loveislove said above, I think some of them might not publicize or talk about it as openly or as much. It just depends.

Though I suppose there is that focus more on girls gushing over male musicians than other demographics. But I'm not sure on that.

Also just a personal thing I guess, I've had crushes on/been really into singers of any gender.

7. lemons123

By the way guys...before the PC police kills me -:slight_smile:: I meant *USUALLY* not always.

I was basically hinting about all the crazy gangs of teenage girls screaming over Justin Bieber, One direction and the likes. Not saying some bi girls wouldn't do it or that lesbian girls don't like Rihanna or else but I can't "project it in my mind", like gay guys going to a concert of say Kanye West and screaming in hysteria like those 18 years old girls 0_0.

And...damn ^ that was one big sentence...

8. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ah, I never understood the boy band craze.

9. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Nah I'm not fighting over what you said, it's just my opinion that I've seen different crowds too :icon_wink

I get where you're coming from though. I do think that whenever we think about people gushing over singers it is the girl (or huge group of girls) over a famous male musician- but I think it's pretty likely because of the stereotype of it that exists in media, and how often it's seen/publicized and how vocal people might be of it. Or that's part of the reason.

Yeah I think gay/bi/pan girls and guys are less likely to be as open and talkative about it when they're crushing on a singer of the same gender. They might, but as a general rule I think it's less as out there as girls over male singers. But other groups do exist and I think they're pretty big demographics too, just maybe more rare in the eyes of general media.

(Also in the past I did have a boy band phase. I'm no longer in it but it did happen and I don't regret it that much really :lol: I was more open about it definitely than I was when I was crushing super hard on this female singer)

#9 Alder, Oct 10, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
  10. Charon

Charon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Me neither.

11. VacantPlanets

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hetero girls see them as the sensitive guy, IE one of us, which they are NOT. Most of the lyrics they love isn't usually written by the guy which makes it even more hilarious. They're basically seeking a female soul in a man.

12. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well alot of music these days is aimed at young girls who are "boy band crazy". However in some concerts (like ones for La Roux) there tends to be a lot of women gushing over female celebrities. She got annoyed once at the amount of gay/bi/pan women who go to her shows just to flirt with her and throw their bras at her on stage. XD
    :lol:

13. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    I'm like, I don't know, maybe straight and I do love male singers <3 I've been crushing like crazy on this YouTube singer, Pellek, for months now. I get all giggly and shaky when I watch his videos. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

14. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Probably because it's considered a ritual of sorts, really, for women in society.

Look at Elvis, The Beatles, then all the female roadies during the glam rockin' 80s, and of course the 90s gave us the Backstreet Boys/N*SYNC/98 Degrees, and so on. It's a profitable market.

One thing not enough folks realize is, when somebody/a group is powered by female fans, it serves a dual purpose. That purpose is to imply, for a man to be liked/successful/valuable, he too must strive to have female admiration. So, again, it's a sort of social engineering, which generates potential profits.

15. Berru

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I've been wondering the same thing ever since I was little.
    The other girls would ask me who I liked in Backstreet Boys or Westlife, and when I said "no one" they'd be like "Whaddaya mean?" or "That's not an option", as if one just *had* to be crushing on someone at all times.
    I never got it.

16. ChloeKiss

ChloeKiss Guest

I know more ''straight girl's'' who crush on female singers over male ones :slight_smile: I have even noticed that a lot of the women I know think one direction suck (One direction totally do suck and they're not even cute, Harry looks like a pig and in general to me personally any teenage guy singer annoys me) I don't mean to be harsh on Harry Styles but God that guy is ugly.

I know more women who fan girl over cute female singers ^_^ Its strange sure but it's true in my case :wink: x

17. RainbowBright

This is not true. I think everyone likes singers. How many guys lust after Shakira, or Rihanna? Um, a ton. How many lesbian girls have been in love with Melissa Etheridge, or Sarah and Tegan? Um, a ton. How many gay boys have been into Adam Lambert, or Ricky Martin? Um, a ton.

Singers are sexy because:
    A. In this era, everyone who puts out a video is pushed to look as sexy as possible
    B. Everybody likes someone with talent
    C. A lot of music production companies only choose people to sign who have a lot of sex appeal to a mass audience
    D. Seeing a person whom everyone admires, who has so much money and power, who has a point of view and a unique style, and who is confident enough to be in front of a crowd and stand out - well why wouldn't people find a person like that pretty exciting?

It is just incorrect to assert that only straight females are into singers. That is a universal thing, that has gone on since the dawn of the music industry. It is equally common for all people. If you want to know why straight women are always into the bass player though, that is another question entirely... (hint - it has a sexual reason. Same thing is true of the saxophone, by the way.)

#17 RainbowBright, Oct 10, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
  18. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've never been into boy bands, but I've had tons of crushers on singers and musicians...more than I can count, really, and most of them more alternative than mainstream.

19. Truna

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The same is sort of true of ships, actually; I find straight girls ship either boyxboy or boyxgirl, lesbians ship girlxgirl, and gays ship boyxboy.

20. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Because music is a powerful thing and that combined with a good looking person