1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The term "cishets"

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Canterpiece, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Oddsocks

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm no fan of the way it's used in popular sj circles. It's frustrating to me, because 95% of the time it's being used in a derogatory way, meaning even if you just want to use it casually for brevity's sake (because 'cisgender and heterosexual' is an awful lot more letters to type and my lazy hands like brevity) in a discussion where everyone knows what it means, half the time it just makes you sound like a tool because most people use it toolishly.

And of course, outside of discussions where everyone knows the abbreviation, what's the point?

Popular tumblr sj ruins more or less everything it touches and that makes me sad.

2. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's another ridiculous and pointless label. It will only add to the confusion and anxiety that many people experience as they try to find a way through the fog of labels that are doing the rounds on the internet.

3. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't have a problem with the term itself, but it's always used by the most annoying people so I get annoyed when I read it.

4. MetalRice

Sounds like a really stupid term.

5. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Likewise here.

I had no idea this was actually a thing.

6. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Another fad label.

Get rid of the labels. All them f**king fad labels.

NOT EVERYTHING IS A CATEGORY OK.

7. BelleFromHell

Just sounds like another term meant to make cisgender/heterosexual people feel guilty. These are the people who give feminism a bad name.

The more I hear about Tumblr, the less likely I am to make an account there. I don't care if all my friends have Tumblr accounts, that place is just sad.

8. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There seems to be quite a few comments on this thread mentioning Tumblr actually. I've never been on it so I don't know if they use the term or not (but from what I've heard they probably do).

I've mostly just seen in being used on Buzzfeed and occasionally I see it being used in the forums here. Not sure where the term originally came from and who came up with it.

9. Phalange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I usually just go with "breeders"

:)

10. hispanicninja9

1) Like somebody said before, the first time I read it I did it as "cis-shit". Cishet. Cishet. I'm sorry. I cannot avoid reading a "sh" sound. Maybe it's me being a cisgender person but it just sounds like an insult. Please don't use it.
    2) What is up with bashing on the heteronormative system or whatever you kids call it nowadays? It's... just how things are. There are far more hetero/cis people than there are trans/non-straight people out there. Like FAR. That's the reason why the media has always shown straight couples and cis people 99% of the time. Because it's our nature, it's the common rule between us. Yes, we have to start accepting people as they please to identify and a little more of representation in the media will always be good(as long as it is not offensive or a wrong stereotype), but I don't see why we have to demonize heteronormativity. Isn't like 80% of the people you know from childhood cis and straight?
    Gosh, Tumblr everyday just gets me more stressed out than it entertains me or distracts me. Should abandon my account, I can't find a person who reblogs nice things without there being a high possibility of them being a sjw or something as annoying. What you say is ok, but I'm not here to read such things, I'm here to get distracted, hon.

#30 hispanicninja9, Oct 6, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2015