1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you ever miss your childhood?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by bookreader, Oct 2, 2015.

1. bookreader

Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm listening to the theme song to Lizzie McGuire and it's making me think of the happier and easier times. I would do anything to go back to relive it.

2. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

*Looks at age in profile*

You're 14. Is that 'too old' now?

You're still in the younger years of your life. Enjoy them now, you have at least 4 more years until the government comes into your life, expecting you to pay taxes and register with all kinds of services.

To answer your question though, at times. But not so much to relive them, but to go back and fix some things. I really shot myself in the foot back then, by focusing too much on getting only myself ahead and not others, and it has left me with a rather empty life with very little human interaction. I didn't get to enjoy friendships, because I was too busy trying to "win" at life. It was easier to do, because people will look at your age and think, they can't be ___. That, I do kind of miss, because it allowed me to do and get away with things.

3. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Occasionally - certain things will trigger a trip down memory lane, and it's fun to reminisce. I stay in contact with a lot of people I went to school with - these are people that I've known since the age of 4, so I basically grew up with them - and it's nice to see old school pictures on Facebook. It's cool to see how far we've all come.

It's funny though - because most of the time I don't really believe that that I'm no longer a child. It's hard to explain - but the past few years have gone by rather quickly. It wasn't that long ago that childhood was a relatively fresh memory, but it's quite distant now. I mean, the earliest thing I can remember occurred 16 years ago - it's practically another lifetime.

Still a while to go before I'm as old as Kaiser though. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Oh, and it's interesting that you watched Lizzie McGuire growing up. I thought they stopped airing that years ago.

#3 imnotreallysure, Oct 2, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
  4. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Short answer - yes. I do miss barely having any work or responsibilities. And sometimes miss sitting watching YTV all weekend :lol:

While being 18 can be a lot of work/depressing/overwhelming, I like it (most of the time). Wouldnt trade that independence I have now for my childhood back :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

#4 HM03, Oct 2, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
  5. joshy the queen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Gosh i wish i never grow up *cries*

6. Yosia

I miss not having to stress over college.
    I miss when you could fix relationships by saying sorry.
    I miss my childhood friends.
    I miss the chances I had to do some great things.
    I miss how simple life was as a child.
    I mostly miss the time when I was a bubble who knew nothing but joy and happiness.

While I am only 17 now, I feel like the childhood I did have was pulled away even before I reached 18.
    Is this because of my life experiences both positive and negative? Was it because I have never had the strongest relationship with parents, so have tried to be independent?

Does this mean I regret my advancement from childhood? Not at all. It has made me fairly wise to the world, a fairly respected person among a lot of people, and an independent person instead of a 'sheep', which I find a lot of 17 y/o's still can be.

I know this is a fairly dark advancement on missing Lizzie McGuire but whatever. xD

7. BrokenRecord

BrokenRecord Guest

Absolutely not. My childhood was quite distressing for me, and the only parts I liked of it were destroyed in front of my eyes by the internet. I wouldn't want to touch it with a pole that stretches halfway across the earth.

#7 BrokenRecord, Oct 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2015
  8. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Naaaah, being a helpless chump sucked. It was alright at the time because I didn't know better, but now I do and holy crap do I love my autonomy.

9. Beebop

Beebop Guest

No. Not at all.

10. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
  11. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh man, this is me entirely. I'm 14 like you. But I'm in no way still in my childhood.

-Parent's divorce
    -3 deaths in the family
    -financial troubles
    -Being gay. Realizing I was going to be hated simply for who I was was a large tipping point
    -repsonsibilites as the oldest child
    -so many honors classes, I almost never have free time

I miss when I wouldn't have to worry about more "adult" things. But I wouldn't have wanted my life to turn out any other way. The earlier I build up maturity, the better, in my opinion.

12. timo

Haha no. Being an adult is kind of fun.

13. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't exactly have full adult responsibilities yet. However, I think it's better to lose innocence and gain knowledge, to have to adapt to a life in which there are consequences for one's actions and an obligation to be moral.

Childhood may be blissfully ignorant, but it's a time of emotional capriciousness and irresponsibility. For me, its greatest virtue is that it is the first step in the journey to a more enlightened state. I enjoyed childhood and its seemingly limitless hope, but I very much prefer the less selfish state of a good adulthood.

But I'm only on the earliest cusp of adulthood, so maybe I'm too ignorant to make that call.

14. Gear2BQueer

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I guess a little even though I'm still technically a child. lol

15. Mateo

Definitely, I got forced to grow up too quickly when my parents divorced when I was 6 leaving my brothers and I with our dad who was also active duty military and always out of the country.

I shouldered the responsibility of basically raising my younger brother who was only about a year and a half, raising myself and keeping my older emotionally unstable brother grounded.

What little time I had to be a kid was great but it evaporated far too quickly.

16. Gamer4now

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Definitely I remember 1 year of complete happiness before all of it was destroyed by my stepdad.

17. candyjiru

No~~ I'm almost surprised I made it through my "childhood," tbh... I couldn't wait to be on my own and out of my house... I have some good memories, but if I had to go back in time, I'd much rather go back to college, haha~ Tons of people your own age to meet, something fun to do every night, lots of different perspectives on things~ but "childhood?" No, thanks...

18. ModernCat

ModernCat Guest

Yes. Story of my life.

19. edy

edy

Out Status:
    A few people
    all the time!!!
    I miss the 90's so much!!!!!

20. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh yeah, I do. Things weren't exactly simple back then but they were simpler.

I had loads of fun in my childhood, we lived near the forests so I remember doing a lot of exploring as a kid. We would love to push the limits to where went and what we did as kids. That's just a small part of it. My friends and I had some great fun making up stories and games and all that.

Nostalgia can be misleading though. I know there are parts of my childhood I wouldn't want to relive. But I suppose I'm glossing over those, and I choose to remember the better parts.

#20 Alder, Oct 3, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2015