1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Common Core Math

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Simple Thoughts, Sep 27, 2015.

1. Simple Thoughts

My formal education stopped pretty much the moment I decided post-secondary was a good idea.

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I didn't really get to say "When am I going to use this" because I planned to into a field which required programming, and oh boy do computers love them some math.

3. Simple Thoughts

I at one point considered programming, but that was mainly my dad trying to push me in that direction.

I find it too boring and tedious. It's fine for people who like that, but I'd lose my mind doing anything repetitive.

4. Closet Shut

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    [​IMG]

5. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Heh, I'd lose my mind only because it's difficult. I've found that programming is pretty much speaking in the language of God if the universe is a computer. Anything's possible; it's all about figuring out how to make the things you want.

But then again my programming classes were focused on game design so wouldn't be as dry as say, accounting software for businesses. If they taught programming with a CC slant to it, it might actually be a good idea. It's not as fundamental as other skills so students might be helped knowing it from the ground up.

#45 Argentwing, Sep 28, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
  6. Simple Thoughts

Programming is about the mechanics. You can create absolutely, but the process itself involves a bunch of strict rules and backtracking through the same things you already did for hours to find the one little thing you accidently mistyped in order to correct it.

As a process it's tedious and it would never fully capture my interest.

Though in the great irnoy of things animation is also a very tedious process, but for some reason I can deal with that XD

7. AlamoCity

Well, I'm done with math, haha. Only went to Calculus I in college (and stats/physics/ochem/stats) and was before the Common Core. Thank goodness. Math isn't really my forte, though I'm better than average.

---------- Post added 28th Sep 2015 at 10:57 PM ----------

Funny story. In second grade my teacher ripped my times table sheet because I "did it wrong" (instead of going individually by each row, I "cheated" and did it my way which was easier to me and used the pattern of "10" to fill the table (it was 10x10) so I filled the first row 1-10 and then went down the columns by ten (first column 1-11-21-31... Second column 2-22-32-42... Third column 3-13-23-33-...). There was more to it but apparently I skipped steps but I thought it was stupid to learn something I intuitively knew. The teacher was a dick and actually tore my factually correct but process wise incorrect paper and I felt bad. When I went home my mom got mad and went to school and the teacher even apologized and she was so nice the rest of the year; the teacher was known as being crabby and I guess she didn't like my "shortcuts." I can only imagine the hell I'd have under Common Core in elementary school had I wanted to do things intuitively.

(Funnier story with no relevance : the first time I thought of "infinity" was when I was around 7. I heard of an "invaluable" piece of art stolen that was insured and wondered how you could put a price tag to "invaluable" and how much money it would be to pay the claim :lol:.

8. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ironically enough, it's working like this that's a sign of above-average intelligence, because you could recognize patterns and apply them productively. I had some of the same issues in school, even though I'd be better served doing it the "real way" for the spirit of the exercise, naturally I didn't appreciate that at such a young age. :lol:

9. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Please defend this utter nonsense to me.....

Attached Files:

10. pinkpanther

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    CCM is better than the old, declarative way of teaching math. The people who use math to solve real life problems use it instinctively like a language or like a tool. Only mathematicians know math the old way it was taught and there lies the problem -- we can all speak at least one language, but only a handful of us are linguists. The same goes with math, we are trying to create mathematicians out of everyone, we're teaching them how to solve complex mathematical problems, when in reality they'll never need 99 percent of everything they'll ever be taught in school.

#50 pinkpanther, Sep 29, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
  11. ebda30

Out Status:
    A few people
    Simple thoughts touched on eve dry thing i was going to.

I have two kids currently learning common core, oldest started the old way, thrn they emplemented CC. He has not struggled, and has also taught me how to help him with his math. Its really not a hard concept, but like previously stated, its a new way of thinking, and people dont like that.

Ive noticed most od my intelligrnt friends are down for it, my simplw minded friends think its stupid. Ive had friends decide to homeschool over CC.

If schools are teaching my children actual information vs. regurgitation im all for it. That still makes up a large percentage of their schooling but common core curriculum isnt a bad fuy, its rrally not and i hope they are able to work out all the kinks. A lot of teachers are struggling with it so they learn right along wi the the kids which isnt always amazinf, but is what it is. I know its only my 2 kids i can account for but they did not skip a beat and tend to enjoy their homework still.

I wish i would have been taught this was, i was terrible at math but the way they teach now makes absolute sense for mw and i feel i could have caught on much better with it.

12. candyjiru

This reminds me of the Montessori method, where you're trying to visualize objects rather than numbers, which might be helpful to some people... but umm... yeah... math... hmm...

Teacher: No TI calculators are allowed for the exam--
    Me: *raises hand*
    Teacher: Except for her, because she's not smart enough to add or subtract on her own or to know how to cheat with it
    *looks around room*
    Other students: Yeah, that makes sense... *nodding in agreement*

T.T I hate you, math...

13. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

It's one of those 'show your work' answers. Basically, you're explaining and showing how you got the answer you did, to demonstrate you understand the mechanics behind the math problem. The issue here, is there comes a point where, some folks just gravitate towards math more naturally -- I am not one of these. I can do the basics and can understand the formulas, but I'm practically useless otherwise.

It'd be nice if natural inclinations and talents were groomed, at least for me, because I'd be further along than I am. I hate playing catch up.

14. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wish we valued literature as much; I'm horrible at math, and find it boring, and it seems the whole world revolves around engineering better dish soaps and cars and material crap...if you have ideas and are artistic, and a kind heart, it's the norm to have a hard time getting by, and have all these times when you just want to die, because you find the world does not value what you have to offer. It mainly does not care.

I wish they had common core art, music, creative writing and things like that...I just don;t fit in today's world, and so many times, I think: Should I exit early? Take all my pills at once? Just go? Hell, I could even count them as I went, and measure the milligrams of Valium, Klonopin, and whatever else how much booze to wash them all down it would take to get the job done. I could make an equation, a death equation.

That's all the math I'm ever going to need...thank you, modern medicine and technology, for failing to make me at all feel better with all your stupid pills, and the math and science behind them, and making me feel so unwanted in this world that has less and less room for...me

bye/

#54 HuskyPup, Sep 29, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
  15. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would most certainly fail Common Core math, yet I absolutely obliterated intermediate algebra in college due to my extensive knowledge of old-fashioned math in high school. I got either 99's or 100's on all the intermediate college tests and got to skip the final. Why do we want to set kids up for failure when college professors decide they don't want work being shown the common core way? As someone once told me, "don't work too hard, work smart." There's nothing wrong with learning formulas and methodologies.

I guess being that kids have so much ADD and ADHD from their obsession with all things tech., some people figure that they want to make math new and exciting.

16. Andstillimhere7

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I am very oblivious to common core math. Is it for grade school kids or do they teach it to all ages including high school and middle school? I've heard it is difficult and too much for kids, but I have no idea what's going on.

17. pinkpanther

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Most people are very capable when it comes to applying math on a much more intuitive level to solve real life problems, we all do it every day, but when it comes to learning it the strict way through theorems and proofs only a handful can do that. So, you end up with adults who have no idea what a percent is, or simple things such as trigonometric functions or even Pythagoras's theorem. But they all know they are horrible at math and they hate it. Just look at the number of posts here made by people who claim they hate math or are terrible at it.

The goal of CCM is to show children how they can apply math to help themselves. After all, math was invented in the first place because it made our lives better and not to be the boogeyman to children.

18. ebda30

Out Status:
    A few people
    Biguy, they are still teaching formulas, methodology, my son is still memorizing the times tables. They are just learning they WHY AND HOW of numbers. Not just a+b=c but why a added to b makes c, if that makes sense. People think they they are just completely changing math as a whole. If you are as good at math as you say, you'd know numbers cannot change, you cannot decide that there is a new answer. The answer will always be the same, but you dont have to use only one method to find the answer. And that is what they are now teaching. Kids are learning to use logic and critical thinking to FIND the answer, not just memorize.

19. LibertyValance

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have seen people with very strong averse reactions to mathematics, but suicidal ideation is quite the strong reaction....

I do hope this post is just morbid gallows humor and not a serious contemplation of suicide...

I will agree with you though that the world places a very high value on STEM knowledge and that for many people seeking more artistic pursuits life can be difficult. I can't say I share your trouble with math as I am an economics student with a passion for physics as well so naturally I am used to math. But I can certainly sympathize with the feeling of the arts as a whole being undervalued by much of society. We do have a few mega celebrities who do very well for themselves as well as hit authors who sell millions of copies, but the world of literature/music seems to be quite similar to the world of pro sports. In that for every big success who turns pro you have hundreds of kids who never made it that far. And then those kids become the classic high school jock who thought he was going to be an NFL quarterback but instead lives pay check to pay check working a menial retail job, low level management or such for the rest of his life. All I can say is I hope you don't kill yourself and that things get better for you in the future.

20. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    THIS. I've been avoiding this thread just because of "Math" being in the title. I have to redo my GCSE maths and I'm sick of it. I hate maths, I don't understand how people can enjoy it. :dry: Except sudoku, I'm cool with sudoku if that counts as maths.

I hate my maths teacher as well, so that doesn't help. I can't even read the questions right, I keep putting X when it's + and so on... I just want to be done with it. Freaking maths. :tantrum: