1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you ever get married?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Mero, Sep 26, 2015.

1. horrorgeek

I'd like to think so, if I met the right person. Probably no kids ever though, haha.

2. Willa

I actually am married. :slight_smile: Marriage is an incredible thing that really adds a whole new depth to your relationship with your partner. It's not just a pretty ceremony, and it's not just a legal agreement. It really does change everything.

3. Aviator182

Yeah I would and hope to someday when I meet the right guy, especially now that's it is legal in the US. :slight_smile:

4. EastCoastGrl

I married my partner of 10 years several years ago. We eloped. Flew to San Francisco and got married at the court house.

It was actually a lot of fun. There were several other couples there as well, some straight, some gay and the atmosphere was super festive. After our ceremony, we took a few pics and headed back to our hotel to consummate the marriage.

I have to say, sex as a married couple was pretty hot. We had already been together 10 years, but burned the sheets up after saying I do. The rest of the weekend was spent sight seeing, shopping, eating and drinking.

Overall it was great. No stress and nothing but fun and love.

Today I am very happily married to the woman of my dreams. I love calling her my wife and on a more practical side, I feel better that she is protected, should anything happen to me.

Mrs & Mrs ECG

---------- Post added 28th Sep 2015 at 07:43 PM ----------

Totally agree. After being together 10 years, my now wife and I decided to get married. I never appreciated how much it would change the relationship and how people relate to us.

She was now my wife and our relationship all of a sudden commanded a higher respect among family and friends. Also, it changed me as well. She is my wife. It's hard to describe, but I totally understand what you are saying.

5. Antinous

I wouldn't rule it out -- once I meet the right person. I'm young enough that I have been to weddings between gay peers of mine. I think it's just getting more normal as time goes by, and it would be nice to have a truly committed relationship (with all the benefits that come with that) eventually.

6. BigGayAlex

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    When I find the right man I absolutely will. Would love to have the wedding at a romantic, personal spot as well. I know I will find him someday, hopefully sooner than later :kiss:

I also know I will probably cry my eyes out during the ceremony since I am a very feeling person and be so overwhelmed with joy :tears:

7. JB2015

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I always said NO before I came out as gay.

My parents are divorced, and all of the couples in my family are just in relationships of convenience. They complain about there spouses all the time.

I feel like when you get married, this happens. :badgrin:

Now, I know of others indirectly who are in successful marriages, and wanted to get married to afirm their love and commmitment, and I also know others who are just as happy just being together.

I believe marriage is an arbitrary piece of paper, and what really matters is what is in your heart.

Now that same-sex marriage is legal, part of me says I should get married if I find my soulmate because I didn't think I ever would be able to even if I wanted to.

The other part of me says we'd be best just living together committed in our hearts because if it didn't work out then we can just walk away.
    No legal drama, no arguing over what's mine and what's his.
    My parents divorce was very nasty and I was (and still am) caught in the middle, 9 years later.

I am one of those people who would take the vows 'till death do us part' seriously and would probably stay even if I was unhappy because I made a commitment, though again I would be just as committed if we were just boyfriends.

I guess the short of the long of it for me is that marriage is just a piece of paper and what really matters is what is in your heart.

#27 JB2015, Sep 28, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
  8. TempUsername3

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I don't see the point in it. Maybe I haven't met the right person but if you're committed to me, a piece of paper isn't going to mean much. Its not going to stop you if you do decide to leave me eventually. I'm not trying to shit on anyone, its cute to want to get married and I think everyone deserves that right. I just don't think its for me.

9. Spirits

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    One of my life goals <3
    I wanna be 30~40 and married :icon_redf

#29 Spirits, Sep 29, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
  10. xfinitycomcast

Yes and no, I think that I'll eventually get married, but I'm probably not going to be like 20 and married, I'd probably be like 33 year old trash* on ****** lol and... Well... Yeah...

*not implying that 33 year olds are trash, I'm implying that I'd be trash (i am at 16 lol)

11. Stevie of Sorts

Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't really see marriage as something really important to me. I'm fine just being in a "This is my girlfriend!" kind of relationship, simply because I don't particularly see the point. Sure, legal reasons, but is it really a good thing to get married simply because of financial endeavors? The difference between dating and marriage is that when you're married, the door out of a relationship is small, crowded with divorce papers, court cases, and bills. Whereas dating, just a break up. And even for romantic reasons, marriage doesn't ensure a lasting promise. Cheating, fights and harbored guilt still happens. A ring doesn't change that. But if I were in a loooong relationship, and my girlfriend wanted to get married, then I wouldn't mind too much. As long as we're happy. I would probably just tell her up front in the beginning of the relationship that I'm not too big on marriage. But maybe I'm just being cynical. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

#31 Stevie of Sorts, Sep 29, 2015
  12. MyMoribundMask

Out Status:
    Some people
    I would.
    If I met the right person, that is.
    As to why, to me it's a way of showing you're serious about the relationship.
    And of course all the benefits.

#32 MyMoribundMask, Sep 29, 2015
  13. rachael1954

Did it, was 100% certain of my love and the promise of forever. But met a woman and am now putting myself and him through a huge amount of bs. If we hadn't gotten married I could just leave him to be with her. (no kids)

If I end up getting divorced, I don't think I'll ever get married again. That's just me.

Some people last and others don't. I thought I'd last.

Con: you're betting someone half your stuff that you won't ever break up.
    Pro: you can rely on them and be comfortable with them. They become your family.

14. Shadowsylke

Couldn't have said it better myself! Add to that the silly notion some people have that once you get married, you are stuck and can't get divorced. It's just a piece of paper. And divorce is another piece of paper. Yes, it's more annoying/complicated because of the legal bs/govt involvement aspect, but that doesn't make it any more real or permanent than any other committed relationship.

15. STM29

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh I definitely would!
    I'm already thinking about proposing to my girlfriend some day, maybe in 2016 :icon_wink

16. Distant Echo

I'm struggling with this now. Male partner wants to marry. I don't know if I want to marry him.
    Same sex marriage isnt legal here in Oz yet (hurry up Turnbull already) but if I find the right woman, and it's actually allowed in this country at that point, then, maybe.
    Or maybe not?

17. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I want to, I hope one day I can though (all possible technicalities and legalties aside).
    But what's more important to me is being happy with my partner, marriage would be great, but it's just the final knot really and a cherry on top of what I hope will be a good, long term committed relationship.

18. crazydiamond

Now that marriage equality is legal, I definitely want to get married someday. Marriage is often romanticized, people think it's a way to improve a relationship or solidify the bond. It really shouldn't be seen that way, because you'd be setting yourself up for disappointment. You should only get married because you love the person, you can see yourself spending the rest of your life with them, you trust them, and you also want the benefits of filing joint taxes, having rights in terms of the future end-of-life decisions (as morbid as that sounds), and just wearing the wedding rings letting everyone know you belong to someone. Of course it doesn't guarantee fidelity or eternal love, but nothing really does. It's a commitment you make to the person you love, to promise to always make an effort in the relationship. That's how I see it.

19. Jalo

Jalo Guest

Maybe, considering the fact that I'm agender. I have no idea what would replace "you may kiss the bride", or "I now wed you husband and wife". Stuff like that.

20. crazydiamond

"I pronounce you wed/married. You may kiss."