1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Do You Handle Death?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kaiser, Sep 25, 2015.

1. Helicoprion

Out Status:
    A few people
    So far I've been apathetic to it, besides the deaths of a few animals in my life.
    That likely won't continue if and when the few people I do care about die.

2. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Dodge Death's scythe attacks, or throw salt over your shoulder, in order to blind him. Depends on who died, how much they suffered, who else is affected by their death, and whodunnit (if anyone did.)

Generally, I handle death like a boss, unless I have formed an emotional connection to the dying person. I must admit I've cried over the deaths of fictional characters, and I didn't feel anything when my uncle died.

There are a few people that I'm going to miss when they're dead. I'd probably be miserable for at least several days, if my friend that I've known for nearly 10 years, died. There's no way of knowing exactly how I'll react, until she dies.

3. waitwhat

waitwhat Guest

For me it depends on the person. That sounds horrible, but it's true. For instance my grandfather passed away, he was old and had a heart attack, we weren't very close, I was sad and cried, but it's not something I dwell on. My grandmother passed away, she had cancer, we were very close, that took some time to get over. I still think about her and get sad sometimes. My friend Nick passed away on his 21st birthday, not alcohol related, he had acute asthma. That hit me pretty hard. I was balling for at least four or five days. My friend Sam passed away, he was 21, that was almost 3 years ago, I'm still not ok about it. Out of all the deaths I've experienced, Sam's hit me the hardest.

So, yeah, it depends on the person.

4. IrishJ

Everyone has an expiration date. I see death often in my job and have observed the gamut of response to this natural process. There is no right or wrong way to "deal" with mortality. Communication is vitally important for most people, expressing emotions whether face to face or virtually. I recommend the book On Death and Dying by Kubler-Ross, written in 1969 focusing on her work with families of patients with terminal illness. The stages: Anger, Denial, Bargaining, Depression and Acceptance are common for healing regardless of the mode of death. I recommend this book for most of my clients going through this process.

5. timo

I'm lucky enough that none of my close friends or relatives have died in the past few years, so I really wouldn't know how to handle it.

My grandparents passed away but that's so long ago I don't really recall it.

6. Joelouis

A few months ago a friend I'd known since I was thirteen died from cancer that they think started in his bowel. He was a very stubborn person who refused point blank to go to the doctors, and despite us telling him that he needed to go, he wouldn't. He died two days after I last saw him.

Literally days later, I was asked by one of my sisters to collect my mum and to take her up to another sisters place. As soon as I saw my mum, I just knew she was in a serious condition.
    I got her to my sisters place that was 190 miles away and I felt numb and helpless at the thought of my mum in this condition. I had rang ahead, warning my sister that mum was extremely poorly. My sister used to be a carer for the elderly and disabled, so she recognised what was going on straight away.
    My mum was suddenly very frail, and it took a while for us to get her up the stairs to my sisters flat. All this time we could detect that unique and foul smell that we both knew was cancer. We saw my sisters doctor without our mum knowing and he advised us to get her seen to as soon as possible do we called the ambulance out to her.
    She was admitted to hospital where, after only four weeks, cancer was confirmed and we were told the worst.
    We were fortunate enough to get her into a well known hospice where she was happy (or at least she let us see she was).

She left us on the 16th of this month with five of her six children around her.

Even though she was told about her diagnosis, she instructed the doctors and nurses not to let us know (but of course we did) as she didn't want to see us upset.

The strange things she said and did while under the influence of morphine (Oromorph, I think it was called) was a little upsetting, and sometimes amusing, but she went extremely peacefully. I felt a bit guilty for not crying so much as my other siblings, but I was relieved incase she was suffering silently, and the support staff at the hospice were literally angels in human form.

It changed my view of my own death as "When it happens, it happens".

#26 Joelouis, Sep 26, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
  7. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    By making the very most of every moment of my life.

Also, working in a hospital, I've seen plenty of it. It doesn't really affect or bother me to be honest.

Happy days :slight_smile:

8. Ryu

Ryu

Well I've never had to handle any deaths so far but I'm of the opinion that caring about death is stupid because it happens to everybody and it happens all the time, so if you care about one death, surely you care about all the other deaths, so I just don't care about death that much. When it comes to it, I always think death should be handled like a chrismas or a birthday

But then again if 'somebody pisses me off they can go and die for all I care'.

#28 Ryu, Sep 26, 2015
  9. Asterac22

I handle it with comedy when my dad died a few months ago all i did was make jokes, weather that was to try and help others or make myself not feel like shit i don't know but thats how i seem to cope with shit in life.

10. Jellal

I try my very hardest to ignore reality by distracting myself, so I don't feel depressed.

I don't know whether or not to feel comforted by the fact that this has worked for me.

11. Winter Maiden

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I handle death pretty well. I just go numb and I am only to cry if I see people I care about cry.

#31 Winter Maiden, Sep 26, 2015
  12. flyawayfree

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have trouble accepting it even though I accept th concept. I get bitter and really angry. I try to be grateful for the time we had together and remember that they wouldn't want me to be sad but to celebrate the times we had together.

13. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If the person wasn't close to me, or I didn't know them very well, it won't bother me much - but there are other factors. I tend to feel worse if the person who died is younger, because it feels like a life taken before it had the chance to be lived.

14. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is inevitable, and thus we should not fear that which is inevitable. The same thing goes for pain - everyone will at some point feel it so what is the point of fearing it?

Death, to me, is the ultimate mystery. It is really something that no one has or can have a difinitive answer for (well I actually mean what happens after death here). It is such a profound puzzle, which I cannot solve.

I think it is equally terrifying and peaceful. Terrifying because you don't really know (beyond your personal suspicions/beliefs) what comes afterwards.... Peaceful because it is a final release from this world and everything in it. You become fully detached once and for all.

Although how I cope with death... I don't know. As a Christian/Buddhist I find it to be somewhat... hopeful? Peaceful and hopeful... a good thing. Death shouldn't devastate us.

15. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't see the logic behind that. The fact that death is inevitable is more reason to fear it as far as I'm concerned - after all, if I could prevent death entirely, then I'd have no reason to fear it because it wouldn't happen.

16. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Cry a lot.

Sometimes I might call/text a friend, or write about it.

17. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I handle death from A to Z. A means I accept it, it's the body being recycled, its the way the world is. Z means very sad I've lost a person I really care about.

18. sartorious

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    so far this^^^

19. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Actually I'm fine with death it's life after death I have a problem with.

20. Mero

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Every one meets death eventually. Some pass with grace, others go down screaming and kicking.
    But in truth, no one greets death willingly.
    We were all marked for death from the moment we're born.
    I build bridges with these arms, not a fortress.
    I want trees to grow instead of grave stones,