1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EC is surprisingly troll free.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Zen fix, Sep 25, 2015.

1. Moonflower

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Trolling is actually a type of control and bullying and a large group of people who are vulnerable from dealing with questioning and coming out and the issues that come with it is like putting a predator in a field of easy prey. It speaks volumes to the amount of effort of the moderators that this is a comfortable and safe place with -imagine this-an anonymous posting forum. This could not and would not fly anywhere else. Name me a place and I'd like to see it and start posting there, too. Think about how ugly social media that focus on anonymity have gotten (YikYak and the like) and you've got the idea of how amazing this is.

2. Zen fix

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm not all that surprised that the members aren't trolling threads. But, it seems to me that an online forum serving this community is a tempting target for homophobes. What ever the reason I'm glad this is such a nice little oasis in the otherwise harsh desert of the internet.

3. Yosia

EC is a lovely place. I too, don't know many websites like it at all.

Although wait until a controversial debate comes up, such as abortion. Things tend to get heated there. xD

4. Kidd

Kidd Guest

In almost five years of occasional EC posting I've only ever seen one legitimately hateful troll thread and it was swiftly dealt with. Even the heated moments on EC are still done in a mostly respectful manner I think. The mod team really is fantastic, although I might be a bit biased. :icon_mrgr

5. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Eh, vocally disagreeing is not trolling. Some topics do just elicit strong opinions. Opinions some people subscribe to very strongly, to the point where they take disagreement with the opinion as a personal attack.
    And yes, it sometimes gets necessary to close the threads before they spill over to support threads, or create permanent animosity.
    We're a support site after all, not a debate site, so we do occasionally take action to keep a supportive atmosphere.

But... that's not trolling. There are, indeed, occasional threads where people come and tell us what dirty homos we are, or to embrace conversion therapy, or just to come and yank our chains. But usually they're reported somewhere before more than a few posts get made in them, and swiftly dealt with.

6. SonicBoom

Kudos to the staff for keeping this place as troll free as possible.

This place is moderated more strictly that other forums, by necessity , because children have to protected from predators.

The mods, by necessity, have to keep a watchful eye on everything going on here.

Also, the mods are quite strict on enforcing the CoC by necessity.

Also, many members here pitch in to help moderators and staff by reporting potentially suspicious activity and or CoC violators.

There are just as many trolls, baiters , flamers and other disruptive types of people here as there are in any other forums.

The difference here on EC is the trolls, baiters, flamers and other disruptive types are reluctant and afraid to act out because they know people here will report them and they will be swiftly and fairly dealt with.

Traffic situations are good analogy of what is going on in EC versus other forums.

EC is like a very well policed street with staff basically on duty 24 seven.

Like drivers knowing that a street is very well policed, disruptive EC members are reluctant and afraid to act out.

To further my traffic situation analogy and how it pertains to forum styles of moderation.

Some streets, like some forums, aren't policed at all.

Some streets are more tightly policed than others with every possible in between situation imaginable.

To paraphrase my super long rant.

If all drivers on a certain street knows that there are always traffic cops watching, they will be on their best behavior.

[YOUTUBE]7YvAYIJSSZY[/YOUTUBE]

7. AAASAS

This website isn't really a place a lot of trolls would find, other websites with gay forums in addition to other things have plenty of trolls, I see them there daily. They're usually funny at least.

8. MetalRice

I like it, it's a great community.