1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"I don't hate gay people, but..."

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SubZero, Sep 24, 2015.

1. Van

Van

This pisses me off every time. 'Oh, I don't hate gay people, I just don't want them to parade around holding hands and kissing, because what do I explain to my kid when asks why two girls or two guys are holding hands/kissing?'. Like, bitch, if you don't hate gays, just tell your kid that some people like boys, some people like girls, some poeple don't like to kiss nobody and some people like to kiss everybody. What's so difficult about that? :dry:

2. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My parents do that sometimes, like "I'm not homophobic but there are too many presenters that are gay men" or "I don't like her because she's butch". :dry: Or that having "two women presenters isn't right because it isn't a balanced yin and yang combination and it's like a lesbian relationship" :dry:

3. RainDreamer

It is like the phrase "I don't hate black people, but..."

4. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've seen it a lot on forums dedicated to movies and TV shows that depict homosexual characters in relationships. "I've got nothing against gays, but I don't want to see it." So, they don't hate gays, but they are against homosexuality being presented in the media, even in a positive light. Nobody complains about straight characters having relations in a fictional movie or TV show, but if there's a gay scene, people get offended by it, even though they say they don't hate gays and have gay friends in real life.

I think we have to accept it as a bit of slow progress. OK, they don't dislike gay people enough to condone violence against homosexuals - it's a start. They're not quite ready to see gay people kissing each other or expressing their love and affection for each other, and standing up for their rights to get married.

We will reach a better stage of equality when these people, who say they aren't against gays but dislike certain gay related things, learn to get over their prejudices completely. But we can't force it on them. They need to make the decision to overcome some of their anti-gay thoughts and opinions themselves.

#24 Devil Dave, Sep 26, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
  5. acciocarrie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    ikr how am i going to explain this to my kids?????? what if they see a straight couple kissing and they start asking me about hetero sex???!!! straight people should just keep it in the bedroom, tbh.

also i don't have anything against straight people, i have friends who are straight... i just don't think they deserve the same rights as me??? a marriage is between two women or two men, not a man and a woman... but 'love the sinner, hate the sin' i always say! :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 26th Sep 2015 at 02:17 PM ----------

so... how long should we give them to get over their prejudices?

6. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Tyra said it right. <3

[YOUTUBE]SUDSaRXng9I[/YOUTUBE]

7. mallix

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Commenting on the first post, when people "disagree" with gay people it should only be based on preference, any other "disagreements" means they are not open minded and they see "gay" as something beneath them. That's just my POV though.

other than that, i've heard a few of those statements, but i try not to let it bother me, some people aren't raised in healthy environments as others and so they have that mindset. It's not right but it doesn't make it better by letting it bother you.

8. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's not always up to us.

The experiences i mentioned are from using forums - complete strangers who I've never met in person, and will likely never speak to again, we just got interacting with each other because we had a common interest in a TV show. So I don't get to decide how they should feel about other peoples sexuality, and they don't get to decide how I live my life. All I could do on the forum was post my disagreements, and its up to them if my point sinks in. That person might be ignorant toward homosexuals for the rest of their life. Or, somebody in their family might come out as gay and they will have to face their prejudices for real. I don't get to play any part in that.