1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guys, how did your best straight mate(s) react when you told them?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by bounced, Sep 24, 2015.

1. onlythebulls13

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I came out to my straight guy friend a little after i joined on here.
    I was at home and i really wanted to tell my beat friend. So i wrote out a text coming out to him and saying everything that i wanted to say. I remember just staring at the send button for what seemed like 4 hours. (In reality probably a good 5 min lol). Then my thumb pushed down and i put my phone in my pocket and thought omg. I am so f***ed. A min later i got a text from him that said "r u kidding me?"
    I started freaking out and told him it changes nothing and yada yada. He asked if i wanted to come over and talk about it. I went over there and he was super supportive and asked the typical how long did u know. Ect.
    All worked out. Im sure ur mates will be accepting

2. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was very anxious about telling my best friend about my bisexuality because when we first met (years ago) she had mentioned some slightly homophobic things (mostly directed towards women) so I knew telling her was going to be a gamble. To be fair, we were now 4 years later and I knew she had matured and that our friendship was now strong enough to handle it so I casually mentioned it. She was obviously shaken up and needed a lot of talking about it (which was understandable but hard for me as I had wished the accepting part would be straight forward) so we did. I explained to her how it worked, for me, and she realized that my love for women wasn't any different from her love for men, and now she seem to be totally fine with it. She still has her moment where I feel she suddenly becomes suddenly subconscious of my sexuality but overall she reacted much better than I expected and have been really supportive. She did agree with me though that had I told her years ago things would have been different as she was far less accepting then.

ALL my other straight friends have been extremely supportive, some much more than I would have ever hoped for, wanting to become my wingwomen etc...

I never regretted once telling anyone about my sexuality, it's such a relief. I told two of my brothers recently and while they were surprised they also reacted very well and haven't mentioned it since. :slight_smile:

3. newfish

I told my two female best friends first. The first was a little weird (although she was totally accepting) because I spent like 10 minutes freaking out before I spat it out, although the second was way more low-key.

Then again, they're both liberal theatre/chorus-y people, so I'm not sure how helpful that is.

But it can definitely turn out incredibly positively! If they're someone you know is accepting, ignore the voice that says "what if you've misjudged them and they react poorly anyway?" That voice is probably wrong.

4. Lost sole

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Some people
    i am still in the process of commin out but when i told 3 of my closest open minded frinds , 2 of them were cool with me being a lesbian n the other one is Bi . i was relived n now we can talk about anythin n even make inappropriate sex jokes every now n again ...... all the fun things about being a teen ( muinus de mood swings n crushing on ur bf )

5. lightsonwater

My friends were very accepting, but I don't know what yours are like about that kind of thing? Maybe test the waters and see how they feel about LGBT things. It will be difficult to stay friends with them if you feel like you're not being yourself. xxx

6. jusataqueerhere

Out Status:
    Some people
    When I came out to my straight friends/ acquaintances I generally had a very positive response (partly because I've surrounded myself with very positive, accepting people). I did have a couple negative reactions, but that's only from my straight male friends. And, other then a couple disgusting comments about how they found it "hot", it was fine.

I have to say, I've been pretty lucky in terms of being accepted. No one has really been negative whatsoever. (Hopefully it stays this way lol)

Actually, if anything, it's brought me closer to my friends because now we have more of an openness and I'm free to be totally myself.

Coming out is always scary, even if you know you will be accepted. My best advice would be to wait until you feel ready (you'll know it when you get there) and to know that the best friendships come when you can be honest and accepted no matter what.

Good luck!

7. FaithInLove

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My mates where fine with it, but a certain acquaintance decided to eavesdrop and now uses my sexual orientation as black mail because he knows i'm terrified of people knowing.