1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wow..

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Just1Dude, Sep 21, 2015.

1. Just1Dude

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey everyone,

I have been looking for a place to rent for the past few months that won't totally break me(extremely hard to find)! I finally found a place! The rent is amazing and it is in a great neighborhood!

I was talking with the lady (a tiny old sweetheart of a woman who has to use a walker) she is funny and sweet. We got to talking about a lot of stuff.. then she went on to say what all she doesn't rent out to..

Smokers - Check
    No pets - Check
    No surprise people moving in - Check

Then she stopped talking about that and went on to say that not a lot of people have stopped by.. she said two girls stopped to check it out but she said no to that.

She doesn't rent to the gays.

I know that discrimination is out there, everywhere.. I am not out but I felt that one hit me so hard. Even worse than someone punching me in the face because of my sexuality. As soon as she said that, the pit in my stomach.. ugh. I live in the bible belt, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

I was having an ethical dilemma - I definitely look and act straight I guess. I could just lie about it and be like "whatever" but then I would feel like I am slapping the LGBT community in the face. Plus it is just a flat out lie.

This just suuucckkkssss

2. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ugh. I'm sorry that it turned sour. Personally, I don't think I would go for it. I'd rather be comfortable being able to bring whoever I'm dating over to hang out and never have to worry about suddenly having to find a new place. Or worrying about getting serious with someone but them not being able to move in. Unless you don't have any other solid options, I think it would be a better pass.

I wonder how she reacts to same-sex roommates. Lots of people live together and aren't involved. Is she only looking to rent single bedrooms forever?

3. Biker boy

Sad to hear man I hope you find a place 10 times better keep looking you will find it...I'd be the one to sign the lease and move in their as long as I follow the rules she would have to rent to "gays" but not being out that's not your route cause it might end up in court and everyone finding out... So my thought for you is tomorrow is a better day

4. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is discrimination based on sexual orientation illegal where you live? You may be able to file a complaint if it is

5. Just1Dude

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Pretty sure we aren't protected when it comes to employment. Not sure about this matter.

I won't go after her.. just to protect myself. All I would be doing is putting a target on my head.

I'll just have to move on and try to find something else. I wish I was able to just pick everything up and move somewhere a bit more accepting. One of these days...

Thank you for your kind responses :slight_smile: I was feeling pretty low earlier.

6. Donteatthesushi

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I see it this way, you can turn her down and find another place that is more accepting or if you're hard up for cash and there isn't another place you could just lie to her and accept staying there, at least till you find a better place.

7. nikkayd

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I know this is far from perfect to say, but I would just take the place. Being that it's the perfect place for you in all ways. I wouldn't hide who I am when I sign that lease though. In fact I would feel like I am giving her a slap in the face more than anything, by not being straight and showing her that yep, you got a gay to living in here. Deal with it. She can't do anything to you, so don't feel like you can't invite people to your place based on her beliefs.

8. Just1Dude

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Here is the huge kicker. It is a duplex (and I didn't realize this) and she lives on the other side.

That has pretty much sealed the deal for me. Time to start from square 1.

9. Ryu

Ryu

I don't know about other places in the world but that's illegal in England...

It's a shame... I hope you find some place just nicer and maybe a little easier on the wallet.