1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to family on birthday

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Nekobi, Sep 21, 2015.

1. Nekobi

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    So my birthday is in a few days and I decided I don't want to be in the closet anymore. I'm thinking of coming out to my family on my birthday since I'm sure they will accept me (infact I think they already suspect) but I don't know how to bring it up. I kinda want to come out to my whole family of 5 at once. Does anyone have any ideas?

Also I want to come out to my school too. My plan is to come out to three of my friends first and then just let the info spread. The hard part is coming out to my friends, I've lied to them for quite a long time now and I feel kind of guilty and nervous. I just don't know how to bring it up.

I'm thinking of taking them on a day out to a restaraunt or something (they love food) and then telling them at the end of the trip. Just as long as I don't chicken out.

Does these sound like good ways to come out? Does anyone have any tips? Oh man... I'm really nervous :\

#1 Nekobi, Sep 21, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  2. Null

If you're almost sure your family will support you, I'd say to go for it! Generally, staying in the closet is a means to avoid being ridiculed or harrassed, but if your family is open-minded, I'd say you shouldn't have to worry about that.

As for your friends, you can explain to them why you lied in the past, tell them you were nervous or unsure of how they would react; but you trust them and finally decided to come out.

I think one of the most important things about coming out is to be informed and to be prepared, because there'll be questions. Maybe a lot of questions. You have to be (or pretend to be) 100% sure of what you're feeling.

Good luck! I'm sure everything will go fine (*hug*)

3. alli o

alli o Guest

I think it is awesome idea to come out on your birthdayas long as you are 90+% sure they will accepting because you do not want it to ruin your birthday. And as for your friends I don't think you have reason so be worried about the "lieing" thing because almost a lgbtqiaa+ people lie for at least the first 10 years or their life I don't think they will nag you about lieing I think they should understand that it is diffecult to come out and why you waited

4. Nekobi

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks :3 both of you, I feel I lot better now and I'm definetely gonna go through with it now. Better than regretting not having done it years later. I shouldn't really have anything ro fear anyway :slight_smile:

#4 Nekobi, Sep 21, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  5. Dollop

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    good luck u sound really lucky and i am sure everything will go fine let us know how it goes

6. Nekobi

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thank you Dollop. I am lucky to have a pretty open minded family (maybe to a lesser extent with my brother).

And I'll make sure to tell you what happens :3

7. Zen fix

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm happy for you that you have a supportive loving family. I do worry though that you are a young lady and will be outnumbered. I recommend picking the one member of your family who you are most sure will be supportive and tell them first. Then enlist them to be your backup just in case someone has a negative reaction. This person could run interference for you and help make sure the fun continues at the party.
    Good luck and happy birthday.