1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dreams vs reality

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by identity, Sep 19, 2015.

1. identity

Do dreams during night tell you what your sexuality is? I know it might sound like a stupid question, but what if you're identifying more lesbian when you're awake but have dreams including guys during night? (actual experience only having been with guys, years ago)

I do think the dreams are never really based on attraction though. Maybe friendship (sometimes, not always) I think it's more about the act than attraction in the dreams

it just gets me confused sometimes

#1 identity, Sep 19, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
  2. Chicagoblue

I have been having gay dreams (I'm a guy) for a few years now. Good question.

3. CameronMR

I've had gay dreams for as long as I've know about sex. Also had a few straight ones, but the straight ones were always bad, and something always interpreted the act within the dream so nothing ever came if the dream act.

4. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Before I came out, I had the occasional dream with gay sex. The only time I can recall dreaming about straight sex was as a teenager, when my hormones were all over the place and when I experimented with straight sex. I am no dream expert, but my dreams proved true.

#4 OnTheHighway, Sep 19, 2015
  5. Logan40

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I had both, but most of my dreams that have involved men have not been particularly pleasant or consensual, my dreams with women have been consensual (even if some of them aren't pleasant due for other reasons unrelated to sex).

6. identity

Yes it is indeed interesting, most of the time it's like I'm being attacked or forced, or talked into it. I've never had butterflies or fireworks being attracted to a man in a full way. But the other day I was in a group exercise where we were supposed to have closed eyes and we switched to other people who also had closed eyes, and we were supposed to touch shoulders, faces, hands and think if we knew the person in the group, but all I could feel was excitement, and it was a girl. I had a rush of adrenaline and butterflies and wanted to do more than I could, but felt amazing being allowed to touch a girl even if just in those places, almost like I had an instant crush. I know and have known for a long time I'm definitely not straight, but I've been unsure of how lesbian-bi I am. But I'm usually not into the same things as my straight female friends are into, I never notice, or even feel put off by the things they find attractive. I'm just less drawn to guys and don't notice guys and don't get all awkwardly schoolgirl like around them like with girls

#6 identity, Sep 19, 2015
  7. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think nearly all my dreams over the years that involved sex were with guys. In real life, I never had any problem responding when my ex-wife was interested in sex, and everything "worked", but it was always very clear that guys were my thing. Once things got dicey between us, I was less interested in sex with her because it felt dishonest, like there was no love in it anymore, and I also had fewer dreams that involved sex of any kind. Once I started coming out, they were back, though, and once again all guys.

8. CapColors

I always turn down people in my dreams. I tell them I'm married. I know that sounds like a lie! But it's literally the only recurring dream type I have. It doesn't happen often but it does recur. Soon I guess I'll be turning down women in my dream and not just guys.

9. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had a dream once that I was marrying a guy, BUT I ran out of the wedding crying, so I think my orientation within the dream was still the same.

I also dreamt once that I was a prince who saved another prince from a tower. He was apparently in love with me, but it was unclear as to how I felt about him.

I've had several dreams about kissing girls, marrying girls, having sex with girls, cuddling girls, going on dates with girls, and checking out girls. Some of them have been sad, some of them have been romantic, some of them have been arousing, and some of them have been totally hilarious. :lol: I have an old blog post about some of them: http://emptyclosets.com/forum/blogs/yuricore/10775-my-dreams.html

10. Really

What the H?! All my dreams are about losing my teeth or flying mini-hippopotamuses. No fair.

11. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That sounds like an awesome dream to me. :lol:

Hm, I have a lot of dreams about losing my teeth too...

12. Zen fix

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't think you can put much stock in dreams. That being said I do have dreams of being intimate with women and men. We all have a multitude of emotions and meanings attached to sex. Dreaming about it may be triggered by one or more of those threads.

13. CameronMR

in many of my dreams I am a mermaid, and I can breathe underwater. :grin:

14. rachael1954

Ohmygosh I was always dreaming that. For years.

Then either I hit my sexual peak in 30's, or i met this girl that changed my life, or I learned how to get to the "O" or probably a combination of all three, and now I can actually get as far as kissing and sometimes 2nd base in a dream. Maybe if I keep this up I can get a home run and actually wake up and remember it...

15. Contact1111

Contact1111 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes and no. Dreams are not necessarily an indicator of what is on one's mind in a literal fashion. However, with regard to sex it is typically fairly literal. If you have gay sex in a dream, chances are it could potentially cross your mind at some point during waking life. If it happens frequently, there is a good chance you are not straight or in your case not a lesbian. If you typically have sex with other women in the dream then you are probably still mainly or even fully a lesbian.

16. rachael1954

lately i have been having trans or hermaphrodite dreams, and just had another one last night. I almost got to 3rd base but then woke up.

17. identity

This is not attacking, more like me thinking outloud :thumbsup: sorry for the essay.

I don't think it's necessarily a guy that I'm dreaming about, meaning it's not about the gender, it's more about the penetration. You can be turned on by penetration even though you're not attracted to men, right?

I've never really had crushes on guys but I'll be like an awkward schoolgirl staring at girls and wanting to be closer to them. I was at a course where we were supposed to blindly touch a select person (not sexually, just to see if we'd recognize them) and I got butterflies and fireworks, it was a girl. I wanted my hands to touch more than I could. When I think about being with a guy I feel like I'm thinking about being with a relative. I get this automatic frown, and I've tried it, I've never once felt like wow this is right in any way, not even just physical. It's always been kind of wrong. There's no physical attraction, the only thing is the idea of penetration but not wanting the whole guy to come along with it. I love collecting pictures of people I like, and 95% of those pictures are women. At least the ones that make me stare and sigh in that romantic gaze kind of way haha. Not sure if I'm explaining it right. I get that look in my eyes towards women, that love look, that checking out look, but never with men unless I'm questioning but never fireworks. If anything, then I'd identify more as lesbiflexible. But I know, for very sure, that I'm not straight, at all. I'm not interested in dating a guy, but I told a girl after not having said anything for over a year that I have a crush on her, I just couldn't not say it. I guess I should have an open mind but today, I feel no interest in dating a guy.
    I would be the one in a group of women saying, yeah, yeah, but look at that girl...being all with that dreamy look in my eyes. Over the years and now I can tell you countless girls/women I'm attracted to, but I have to think and maybe wonder more about the guys, like, yeah he's handsome, but...

Before in my relations with men I always felt anxiety because of lack of attraction to them but denied that it was because of that. There wasn't even a "it's just not this one" kind of thing, it was just, wrong. If any guy would hit on me I would feel like they are invading my space. So how can that mean I'm attracted to men? (Rhetorical, asking myself too)

I've also been doing some reading and there is more fluidity to sexuality than we've been giving it credit for. I do believe we can range on the kinsey scale, even move around a bit throughout life (some, not all)

But I'll be seeing a sex therapist this week and I'll see what she says too :slight_smile: I think I can say one thing for sure that I'm not straight though.
    I've never had that speech of "I want to do this to you" with a guy but I can go on easily for girls. For the whole not just one sex organ while being put off by it and the rest too.

i don't believe these things are so clear and simple all the time for everyone, that there are just 3 sexualities that never budge and nothing in between.

But it drives me crazy to be so fluid or not just clearly one way

18. Leopold

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Family only
    In a lucid dream you will tend to do whatever you really want to do IRL. I'm guessing it does tell you about yourself. Dream interpretation is some really far out stuff.

#18 Leopold, Sep 21, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  19. Moonflower

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Dreams are supposedly about our brains solving problems from our waking lives while we are asleep. So whatever you're going through and relationships you're in will be reflected in your dreams. Over the course of my life, I've dreamed about sex with men and women, not after coming out its only women. I have noticed that when dreaming.
    But really most of my dreams are very strange and deal more with causes of everyday stress in my life rather than anything else anymore.

20. secretagent

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I've always used my dreams to figure out who I have crushes on and all that. I haven't had a straight dream in so long. I guess it depends on the person.