Are you a bad person if you don't support LGBT rights?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Anongirl123, Sep 18, 2015.

1. VacantPlanets

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "This is the decision of society, not of nature. If it's ok for society to take away this person's rights, why not others? You say you're bad if you don't champion rights for everyone...and yet you advocate society's right to take away the rights of a person for doing something they don't approve of. What if that thing happens to be gay sex or gender transition?"

This is fallacious, you are comparing justice to injustice. You are in fact advocating for LGBT people to be on the same level as murderers, what's next "LGBT people are child molesters"? My favorite kind of bigot, the one that hates themselves.

2. xvigil5

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I wouldn't say that would make you a bad person. Some people deeply believe in their religions and believe and from of homosexuality is wrong, and I respect their opinions. However they would be bad people if they harm or kill LGBT people or if they try shoving their opinion down other people's throats. And I don't know if this would make them a bad person, but I would DEFINETLY not want to be friends with someone who rallys against same sex marriage. I respect other people's opinions as long as they respect mine. Also, they would be bad people if they don't treat LGBT people with equal respect as straight, cisgender people

#42 xvigil5, Sep 20, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
  3. GayBoyBG

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The question in itself is quite clear and the user ask about "supporting" LGBT rights, not about hating LGBT or else. You're definetly not a bad person if you do not support them. Main reason is usually not knowing enough to support the cause. I want to be accepted, but in return I extend the same courtesy. If people are not supportive of LGBTQ+ rights I wouldn't label them as bad.Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and having an opinion does not make you bad. Atleast in this case.

4. Van

Van

Yes. Denying rights to a certain group of people is definitely one of those things that make someone a bad person.

5. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This has moved from an argument to pure silliness. I'm not convinced you even read what I wrote. You don't address the argument...simply dismiss and throw accusations of bigotry.

It's clearly not worth dignifying this with a response beyond:

#45 biAnnika, Sep 20, 2015
  6. Jellal

"Bad person?" Trick question: humanity sucks, period.

7. Donteatthesushi

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm not pro or anti gay rights myself, but i don't see how not being pro one side is anti the other or how if you're not pro gay rights makes you anti gay rights. I don't like either side because of the hypocrisy of both sides and the extremes i seen taken on both sides. i remain firmly in the middle, and refuse to take any side. Someone disagreeing with gay rights for whatever reason doesn't make them bad people, just like if i don't like cake and you do doesn't make me bad for not liking cake. Someone not agreeing or having an opposing view doesn't take away, unless it's done by taking action to force the other side (where i draw the line). I'd allow someone to disagree with me.

#47 Donteatthesushi, Sep 20, 2015
  8. angeluscrzy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would consider myself a libertarian so I would say they don't have to actively support it as long as they aren't infringing on the rights of others in any way. Kind of ironic how some people feel they want to be able to believe, think, feel and do as they want and yet they don't wanna indulge others that same freedom unless their thoughts and opinions match their own personal agendas. Everyone has a right to their own thoughts and opinions, its what you do with them that matters.

#48 angeluscrzy, Sep 20, 2015
  9. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

My answer is not necessarily.
    I wouldn't want to associate myself with a homophobe for obvious reasons, but I don't think it makes them an entirely bad, ill-spirited person.
    I used to be religious and I know a lot of religious people so I guess I've gotten used to people being on both sides of the argument. The thing is, I know people who are really nice and accepting and respectful of everyone, but the just personally have religious beliefs against it. I think as long as they're not vocal about those beliefs and don't offend others or try to get in other people's business about it then they're not a bad person. They have that belief, which isn't necessarily a good one, but then they make the conscious decision to not use that belief to hurt others or make people feel bad about themselves.
    But people like that are often rare I guess. I think most people who are against gay rights don't really realize that how they use that belief affects people and hurts people and they don't take peoples' feelings into account.

10. angeluscrzy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think as long as people are respectful to the rights of everyone else, that they should be free to feel however they want. We can never expect everyone to agree to our views just as we would not want them trying to force us to believe in theirs. I don't agree with adultery but I also know its not my place or right to condemn the adulterer because what he/she is doing does not infringe upon my rights in any way. I'm not religious by any means, but I definitely believe in the whole "judge not lest ye be judged yourself".

11. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    *smile* I totally take your point. But I don't hear the OP suggesting people shouldn't be *allowed* to be bad people...she's just asking if doing X makes them bad. You can think that people who drink alcohol are bad people without supporting prohibition. (Just one more problem with the concept of "bad people".)

#51 biAnnika, Sep 20, 2015
  12. angeluscrzy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I guess I just meant I try to reserve such judgements. Others believing something I don't doesn't make them bad people. I'm sure we all have things we could be a little more enlightened about.

13. alli o

alli o Guest

personaly I do not think you are bad person if you do not support lgbt rights (unless you go into extreames to keep us away from you or something awful) but for the most part I just think these people are uneducated and do not understand I do not think you can automatically put that they are a bad person until they are educated that it is not a phase we are not doing it for attention the hardships we go through and all of this until you can put a bad person lable on them

14. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I immediately visualized something thinking of this- some sort of structure, say, a bridge. It's pretty weak and about to fall apart, and some people try to support it by fixing it, some walk past it, and some make it their purpose to tear it down. The people I consider "bad" are the ones who "tear it down" according to my corny analogy.

I consider indifference to be the people who either are ignorant, don't care, or don't agree with LGBT but vote our rights because they are basic human rights. Everybody has their own views, and as long as they aren't disrespecting or taking other people's rights away, there is no problem, those people are great. The problem starts with people who think "I don't like that, so I'm going to do everything I can to make sure nobody can have it" That attitude, to me, is bad. I think it's rather immature, really. A child would do that....

15. Donteatthesushi

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't think anyone who doesn't actively support LGBT+ rights is outright ignorant (given they're not actively tearing it down). Some people just don't care. Some people are too busy, others just simply can't be bothered. it's more ignorant to dismiss people who don't agree with you without knowing the reasons why or to dismiss anyone who doesn't share the same belief or ideals as you. While i disagree with the right wingers who actively try to tear down LGBT+ rights i have nothing against those who simply disagree based off what they believe in or are simply too busy or indifferent. Everyone should just live their own lives as long as the're not actively infringing on another person's. We all love to talk about how LGBT+ people are having opinions and beliefs forced on them but we must also make sure we do not do the same to others. We must also practice tolerance if we ask others to be tolerant of us. As long as no one is actively forcing the other person, should be okay. The problem with this view that if you're not with us you're against us is it leads to extremes in te form of militant ideology and a us vs them attitude that leads to polarization.

#55 Donteatthesushi, Sep 21, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2015