6-year-old Sister a Lesbian?

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by Emmichan, Sep 18, 2015.

1. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Your sister might be a lesbian, but she's probably not a bisexual, gay man who is transgender all at the same time.

2. zigazigah

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Like others have said, 6 is not necessarily "too young to know" or whatever. Plenty of people (myself included) suspected we weren't straight from a very young age. No one would say she was too young to know if she was talking about marrying boys right? So why should this be different.

I'm glad she has a sibling like you to support her, no matter what she ends up identifying as. If she does end up not being straight it might help keep away some of that internalized self hatred a lot of us struggle with if you keep showing her positive examples of LGBT relationships (like the Fosters).

3. Plattyrex

I would say at that age you probably wouldn't know. That being said I remember occasionally saying that I wanted to marry a boy when I was very young. I also said I wanted to marry my mom though, so maybe that doesn't mean anything.

4. Minori

There are many people who figure out themselves at a very young age. And she could definitely be one of them. Wait until she is older, unless she starts showing huge signs that what her mother has been saying has been upsetting her. Then maybe at some point, you and her should talk. It's important she knows she is not alone regardless of age

5. larkcarmen

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Someone mentioned this but it really isn't normal for straight kids to cry at homosexuality being a "sin" (it really isn't btw, there are articles on it that you could read to her). Sure she's young but chances are she at least has an idea of what she wants.

6. ThatRangerGirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    There does seem to be some hard evidence that she isn't straight, but its really to soon to say? And where she is the LGBPTQ spectrum is impossible to guess at this stage.

7. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's possible. Looking back at my childhood, I was somewhere between the ages of 8-10 when I started feeling different from the other kids at school, and it wasn't until I was older that I actually had a word to describe the feelings I was having.

As for whether or not she'll grow up to be a lesbian, yeah, the only thing that will tell is time. My aunt swears that she knew I was gay when I was two.

8. Kinky

Kinky Guest

It could go the other way around. When I was 6 (or 7,6,8,9, and 10) for that matter, I wanted to marry to a girl, I wanted to marry my mum, then my female cousin, then my classmates. Now at 22 I'm sure I want to snog a guy :lol:

9. Ihavetojustbeme

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    you could just ask her even if it feels weird. idk but update me when something happens (*hug*)

---------- Post added 18th Nov 2015 at 06:32 PM ----------

i knew when i was nine

10. TobaccoFlower

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think that honestly, having been a very conscious young person I always wanted to be the girl characters and I never minded the idea of having a husband or wife as a kid. In preschool I remember, first-person, playing games where I wanted to be the bride and have my girl friend be the husband because I thought she would be fun to marry but of course I didn't understand the concept of same sex marriage.

My wife is also this way. She remembers well into her toddler years. And while you can say that it isn't solid at a young age I agree that people start to explore their attraction and gender and sexuality far before we give them credit for it. Being a person includes the feelings we have towards other people, regardless of a romantic or sexual context.

If I can put it this way I remember also playing a game of mash in first grade where I was six (I had older friends) and I dreamed of having two kids, an suv, a wife who was about my height, and having a house. I wanted to be the girl and wear the dress at my wedding and I knew exactly what flower I would want in my bouquet, regardless of how weird it was.

And now, almost 20 years later I have all of those things minus the dress and bouquet.

I knew who I was. I knew how I felt. Age doesn't matter when it comes to identity or attraction. I'm just so happy for her to know what she likes.

Oh and a tip for telling kids that they can't marry you? My cousin did this exact same thing a lot. I often just told her that she could if she got muuuuch older and that I love her. But I think that other people think marrying your family is weird and it might be better to marry someone else you meet.

Kids are smart. Nothing about them is dumb. It's her way of saying she loves you. Kids know what love is even if it's not always romantic love. :slight_smile: she sounds smart and amazing to watch grow up.

11. Neon

Some of these replies baffle me. I had people tell me i was too young to know at 18 lol and that i should have sex with both sexes before making a choice. I knew I was trans and attracted to girls since age 5. I was also aware of how ppl viewed my difference. Nothing has changed for me.

People can know, so the best is just to be there for your sister and support her as she gets older. If she's truly straight, then even if you were to support her now with her "I want to marry a girl" it shouldn't "turn her into a lesbian" but if she is a lesbian or bi, then this will make her be more accepting and happier with herself.
    It's clearly upsetting her, she doesn't know that perhaps what she "naturally" feels, is wrong in the eyes of others. So when people say some homophobic thing, she will be sad.

Just keep an eye, her happiness is what matters. I'm sure you love your sister dearly, so make her experience better than yours.

#31 Neon, Nov 21, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
  12. Nancy1

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think you should say something to your sister. And repeat this idea in the future when it comes up naturally. Mention that thousands of years ago, people thought a bunch of things were sinful that sound silly to us today...like eating shrimp, or gathering firewood on Saturday, or killing people because they were a different religion, or men marrying men and women marrying women. Back then they also thought it would be okay to capture slaves and keep them...Wow! We wouldn't do anything like that...or it was okay for the father of a family to put a child or a wife to death if he thought they had dishonored him.

in a separate conversion, (I had this one with one of my children, who was 'worried' they could be gay at age 8) I hope you fall in love with someone that makes you happy and is nice to you, that is all that matters. The person you love is going to be short or tall, fat or thin, black or white, a boy or a girl, we don't know, we don't care..so long as they are nice and make you happy. PLEASE do not worry about this, it will be absolutely fine whoever they are.

Then when issues come up on TV or in conversation, or something your mom says...say something positive about LGBTQ people or issues. This will help her have confidence and know she will have you as an ally

13. Open Arms

Open Arms Guest

We can't conclude she's lesbian at age 6 in my opinion. Girls between 4 and 12 yrs of age often get very bonded and even lovey-dovey with each other. Those relationships get very intense.

Try not to worry about it.