1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How did you choose your name?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Hawk, Sep 18, 2015.

1. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't have a particularly masculine/suitable other version of my birth name nor did my parents have alternative names for me. So I couldn't go with those two options. The name I'm using now just fits for some reason. Like in an alternate universe or place if I had been AMAB, it's the name I would've been given or would've liked. I don't know.

It was a while back standing in an elevator alone (one with a mirror) and I was mulling over my gender/possible names and the name Jake just popped up, and I knew it fit. I looked at myself in the mirror and it really coincided with myself so I stuck with it. It was partially inspired by a male character I really look up to and like on TV, but otherwise it was just a spark of inspiration thing.

I could've used Mackenzie which was a name I had used online for a long, long time, but I had used it so long during the times I thought I was a cis girl (and was treated as such) that to me it sounds like a feminine/girl's name even though it's quite neutral to objective parties (eventually here on EC I might actually change my username at some point). So I didn't want to use that name. My real name is also quite gender neutral in my language, but once again, people in my life associate it with me being a girl. So Jake it is. It fits best at the moment and I'm happy with it.

I'm still questioning my gender and I don't know if all of this will change in the future, but for now this is what I'm sticking with.

#21 Alder, Sep 20, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
  2. TheRealTheaJane

Well, my closest cousins always called me TJ from my birth initials (a pretty manly name) and my friends referred to me as Theo after a Saturday Night story: I worked from this and figured Thea suited me, and it rang nicely to have my middle name still with a J :slight_smile: Plus, when you search the meaning of Thea it comes up with Transgender Health and Education Alliance, which fits like fate =^.^=

3. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is my name.

My birth name that is.

#23 Kasey, Sep 22, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
  4. Accius

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm pretty set on Ashton at the moment. I wanted to keep the first letter starting with an 'A' because its been kinda a tradition for siblings to have the same starting letter in their names! I.e. My brothers name is Alex so mine was Ashley, my cousins are Jacob and Jessie and my other cousins were Hailey and Hunter. I like the name and I feel it suits me, and it also keeps it close to my birth name and holds to my family's little naming tradition.

5. Ghosts

My birth name is unique and my dad wanted me to pick a variation of it but nothing came out that I liked so I went on a baby name generator where it took my last name and connected it to a first name and I came up with a giant list and slowly narrowed it down. I also noticed I was drawn to m names. I pick Malcolm as a first name because it felt more me than my runner up. I went with Ari and Rueben as middle names because both have meaning with me emotionally.

6. Zen fix

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    When I registered I was intensely stressed. I went with this handle because I wanted to remind myself to get a dose of relaxation sometimes.

7. Henri

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The name henri is actually the name of my fursona whose name is Neil Albert Henritt O'Brain Nicholas who is a draconiquis. But I just refer to him as henri, and that's were my name comes from.

8. FootballFan101

Cara, close to my given name, means friend in Irish (which I hope am a good one)

9. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I wanted something that started with "M", mainly because that's what letter my birth name started with. I also wanted something to reflect my German heritage; I'm quite proud of it. From there, I must have run twenty names through my head before "Matthias" was the one that sounded right.

10. Bearfix

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm lost a bit with thread lol

I have the name I was born with and the posts don't all add up to the user name, is there an overseas thing where people change their name or something?

11. rolling orange

Out Status:
    Some people
    well it's a thread for trans people who've changed their names. and our usernames doesn't have to be the same as our irl names.

12. nonbinarym

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I just kind of went on baby name websites, looked through all the neutral ones and eliminated till I landed on Morgan. It's a name I'm comfortable with. Everyone always expects some meaningful reason as to why I chose it, but honestly, I just liked the name.

13. Bearfix

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

Thanks for that, it makes perfect sense now :slight_smile:

14. Acuba403

I went with a re work of my middle name because I didn't like my first name (masculine or feminine)

Alexander (mid name)--> Alexa

15. FriendlyInkling

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I just browsed gender neutral name lists. It took me a fairly long time to reach the right name, and I went through variations of my birth name, two or three names that leaned more masculine (I don't remember them atm), Loren, and finally settled on Aaren.

16. Mateo

Mateo was an evolution. back when I started high school I drew a character that became my mascot, I named him Tay. I used him for everything so eventually he became synonymous with me and my friends started calling me Tay.

I got attached to the name and started using It as a artist name. As I got older and eventually graduated high school Tay started to feel a little too childish so I gradually adapted it to Tayo which has a slightly more mature tone to it and I fell in love but I tend to prefer more classic original name, I normally dislike made up and modern names outside of fictional characters and nicknames.

But one day I was watching some documentary on TV (don't remember what) and there was an interview with a witness, A latino man named Mateo, and at that very moment my brain screamed "THAT'S IT" it was everything I was looking for, It had Tayo just spelled different, It was an established but uncommon name, it had a Latino connection which felt right because I have some Latino in me and it also fit the last name I'm gonna change to regardless be cause it was my paternal Grandfather's last name who I feel closer too.

17. blurry

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've been thinking of it for a bit but not long enough to be entirely sure.
    Right now I go by Lester, or Les. It just clicked, as I was trying to find a middle name that was after an important grandparental figure (Lester is my mom's stepdad's surname). I really like the name and swapped it with my birth name. Also all the male siblings have L-names and females have T-names so it makes a bit more sense.

At the moment, the full name would be Lester Taylor Walter [Surname] but it may change.

I could use the male version of my middle name (Don) but it already has negative connotations as is.

18. Romin

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My chosen name has some elements similar to my given name, but is still very different. I haven't transitioned to going by my chosen name fully, yet, but I love the one I've chosen.

19. VictoryForEarth

So I go by Victory or Vic, but Victory is the full name.

I use Vic when talking to people I don't know, because they won't understand.

They won't understand that that's what I feel when I ask them to call me Vic and to use they/them pronouns.

Victory. :king:

20. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    At first, I was thinking of going with a variant. But I decided not to since it would remind me too much of my birth name, which I am trying to dissociate myself from.

Then I wanted a Biblical name, since it's my family's tradition to name all males a Biblical first name. But I couldn't find any that weren't already taken (I have six brothers already) or over-used.

Third criteria is that I can't know anybody with that name... Or it cannot be the name of someone who I have any or bad preconceived associations of.

I eventually settled on Alec, since it's a derivative of Alexander which is (kind of) Biblical/ancient but it's still unique. It's also not terribly overused, and not terribly out-of-the-box such as to elicit odd looks or questions/remarks (like my birth name, which is extremely rare and princess-sounding). And in my opinion, Alec is a classy name. And classy is good.

For my middle name I'm going with either Sebastian - for it's meaning, which is "honor" - or Sergei, who was a dear family friend.