1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tics

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by grungeteen, Sep 18, 2015.

1. grungeteen

So over the past couple of years, I've been getting 'tics' but I don't know if they are actually tics.

The longest one I've had ever since it started and I still have now is where I raise and lower my eyebrows- this is my most frequent tic and I hate it because I'm worried people will think I'm frowning at them (and I've had people come up to me and ask me if I'm ok cuz they think I'm upset or something?) and I usually have to look away or at the ground to do it. I just get this feeling of uneasiness in my eyebrows and they don't feel 'right' and so I lift them up and down until they do feel right. Occasionally, that's not enough and I physically use my hands to push them up and down. The severity of this tic varies from time to time but I have gotten headaches because of my eyebrow raising before but luckily, it's not that bad right now. I seem to do it more when I think about it and I'm aware that it's there?

I have one where I blink hard or really fast, or I sometimes roll my eyes and close them- same with the eyebrow thing- it just doesn't 'feel right' and I do it until it feels right.

I had another tic around a year ago and though it only lasted a few weeks, it was the most uncontrollable one I've had. I would constantly scrunch my nose and u scrunch really fast like ten twenty times. Then one day, it just stopped and was gone.

One I have at the moment is where I'll like 'press' my nostrils side to side (I don't really know how to explain this) and then I'd have to sniff my nose in and out several times. I do a lot of nose sniffing actually when I don't actually have any snot- I just need it to feel right and normal and I do it until it does.

One last one which isn't really a tic but I don't really know. It only happens in the winter or just when it's really cold. My hands get cold and I have this like 'routine' of touching my face and neck to warm my hands and sometimes it gets really hard to stop- I like press my fists to my eyelids and then my cheek then my neck, forehead etc. this has disrupted things before because I like 'have' to stop whatever I'm doing to do this. A similar thing happens when my ears are cold and I fold them and press them against itself, in class, I stop whatever I doing or writing and I do it until it feels right and it gets annoying sometimes. But once it's the summer, this completely disappears (and it's great!).

My dad and others has noticed these tics before but he never does anything about it or takes it seriously. But I also tend to hide them by turning my face away (I pretty much only have facial tics) because I'm embarrassed and don't want people to see. I don't know if I have like a tic disorder or what?

2. young dreamer 1

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This sounds like Touretts Syndrome. Your doctor (specially a neurologist) could help you with the diagnosis. Tourettes is not dangerous and can sometimes be treated with medications that help with anxiety such as clonopin. I know about this because my brother has been struggling for many years with the same type of repetitve movements. He says that if he tries to hold the tics in, he feels like the tension gets worse and he has to let the tic happen. Good luck and let me know if I can help any more.

3. Ameryllis

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have had these alllll my life! I hate them and I find them so embarrassing >.< I have one currently where I raise my eyebrows, but I keep it subtle by turning around when I do it, or pretend I'm raising my eyebrows at something. They're typically caused by anxiety, and the best way to rid yourself of them is to try to calm yourself down, and just act more confident...maybe?

I find I get the tics when I'm lacking confidence/feeling insecure, and the periods of time where I don't have any tics are when I'm feeling most confident/secure. Good luck!

4. paris

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
  5. Menaki-Neko

Fargo North Dakota, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
    I have tics as well. I've had multiple tics at the same time, and they usually wax and wane over time. Right now the only tic I have is one where I scrunch my left eye slightly.

I've talked to my doctor, and he says that tics are usually brought on by anxiety. Since then I've gotten my own anxiety under control and have noticed a definite drop in the development of any new tics.

I'd say that you should talk to your doctor the next time you see him or her about your tics. They can be very disruptive in social situations and can even be disruptive to day to day life. There is medication for it, but to my understanding a doctor would only want to prescribe it if it's hindering your day to day life.