1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trans-Masculine at a women's college... Please help...

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by MyThinWhiteDuke, Sep 18, 2015.

1. MyThinWhiteDuke

Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey, my name is Vaughn. I've found myself in quite the predicament: I'm trans-masculine (Either male or Demi-boy, still trying to figure it out...) And I attend a Women's college. I've been here a month and I've come out to no one because I'm severely frightened that no one will accept me. This is really taking a toll on me because I have to present myself as female and for certain activities I have to wear a dress. I'm crying nearly every day and I'm having to skype with my girlfriend nearly every day just to get by.

I really think I need to transfer schools, but I don't know where to go. I'd like to go to a liberal arts school, and my girlfriend recommended I got to the school she is at, The University of Puget sound. I think it would be good for me, since I can be with my girlfriend, who has been the most supportive of me in this entire experience. From what I've seen it also looks like a welcoming school, and it has the proper academics I'm looking for. ( I need a semi rigorous curriculum)

I suppose I'm really looking for advice on if I should attend the same school as my girlfriend ( Been together for 1 year, 3 months). I would also like to maybe hear about other schools that are friendly to Nonbinary/Trans individuals. I want to make an informed decision, but I don't know where to start with that.

2. thepandaboss

Honestly, I'm all in favor of you transferring. You're going to spend the next 3-4 years on a campus. You might as well go with whatever's going to make you the most comfortable, as far as environment, cost, etc

What did the women's college offer that initially drew you to it? Was it the cost? Their academics? Keep those traits in mind when you're looking for a good college. Most colleges tend to be fairly liberal. I'd say many of your state colleges are a good bet, especially if they offer you a more affordable degree.

It's also worth researching your potential college and finding out if they have LGBT resources or a center. Many college campuses are beginning to offer this, especially in response to more LGBT students coming out, and so it's always worth a look.

3. MyThinWhiteDuke

Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, I've been trying to make sure that I'm thinking about cost, education, all that. I know I have until November to really think about this, and I'm just trying to see where I can go from here.

And unfortunately, as far as I know, all we have is a student run LGBT club. I am going to see people at the wellness center on my campus though, and I'm hoping that will help.

I'm also looking to go out of state because I think I need time away from my family. I came out to them about a week ago and I haven't really gotten a great response from it... My mom really doubts me and thinks I'm too effeminate in my personality to be anything other than a woman.

4. judecats

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone