1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sports bras and binding

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Hawk, Sep 17, 2015.

1. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member Away

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Apparently my dad knows about binding, even though I never mentioned anything to him, and looked up how if can effect a persons ribs, back, etc. My question is, when I'm at home, I use one Underarmour sports bra, which I find binds just as well as my gc2b binder. I do have a smaller chest (B), but should I use the same rules as binding with a binder? No more than 8-10 hours, take it off when it hurts, etc.
    When I do take it off, I just feel I need something to bind with, even at home.

#1 Hawk, Sep 17, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
  2. Hawk

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No one... ok then. :dry:

3. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would say that as long as it's a sports bra that is sized correctly (isn't too small), you don't have to limit yourself to 8-10 hours. Still take it off if it hurts, and I wouldn't recommend sleeping in it (you need to give your body a break), but properly fitted sports bras don't require as much caution as binders.

It's worth being a bit more patient when waiting for answers. Sometimes the people that can help you just don't happen to be online when you ask.

4. PossumJack

Give us some time, dear, it usually takes a while for us to get on here :icon_wink

If the bra is the "right size" for you, then I'd say there wouldn't be any need to take it off since it would be properly fitted and everything to prevent ribs/back damage. If it's several sizes smaller though, then I think it would be a better idea to restrict the amount of time you use it since it would be constrictive.

5. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Jason. Sorry for the late reply, I just got back in town after being on the road for two days and didn't see your post.

I say it's in your best interest to follow the same rules with binding even if you use sports bras. If you feel the need to bind or having something hiding your chest, consider baggy shirts or loose fitting sports bra. Something that isn't too restrictive on you or will give you a hard time.

6. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You really should give your body a break, even if you do have a smaller chest. Binding for too long can even lead to things like fluid building up in your lungs. I would even be cautious with the sports bra. Being cautious is better in the long run. That way, you can avoid having to deal woth health issues later.

7. Hawk

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for everyone's replies; sorry I didn't mean to seem impatient. :icon_sad: