1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wondering About Not Coming Out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by L0ser, Sep 16, 2015.

1. L0ser

I'm in a weird spot where I don't think I'd be unsafe if I come out but I would definitely be treated differently by friends and family members. One of my close friends went to boarding school recently, and he was one of the only people I'd considered telling. I have a few other friends that would most likely be okay with it, but I doubt they'd be able to keep a secret.

So, I've been seriously considering not coming out to anyone until after high school. I thought by now I'd be ready to tell someone, but either my anxiety gets the best of me or they say or do something to make me think they'd react badly. I am a Junior and will hopefully be leaving for college in two years. As much as I'd like to be okay with being out, I'm just not right now.

So I guess I'm asking for advice on what to do. Should I try to come out to someone people first? Wait longer? Or just try not to worry? All of these have their pros and cons, so I'd be great to hear when/how you came out. Thanks

2. RainbowMan

Well, you say that you'd be safe coming out, but the most important thing in my mind is not to come out until you feel ready to do it. I don't think that anyone else can tell you when that time is, but they can tell you their experiences. However, the decision is ultimately up to you.

I'm obviously quite a bit older, and only came out a few years ago - that is to say that people come out at all sorts of ages and places in life. There's no one right way to do it.

3. L0ser

Thanks for the response! It feels good to hear that there's no right way to come out. I think I've been feeling some pressure to do so as it would be safe to do so. But people would treat me differently, and in a negative way mostly, so for now I think I'm just going to try to get used to the idea of having people know I'm bisexual. This way when I do come out the negative responses won't bother me too much, and I'll just all around feel more comfortable.