1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to help dysphoria during my period?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by AngerAndAgony, Sep 16, 2015.

1. AngerAndAgony

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay, so largely, I have a handle on my dysphoria. But there's about 8 days every month that my control goes down the drain and I'm miserable and I hate myself and oh god why did I have to get that second X chromosome instead of a Y?

So for someone who's larger and curvier and can't afford a binder or birth control, (or isn't allowed to get them either) what are some good ways to curb this dysphoria? Thanks.

2. PossumJack

In my experience, a lot of dysphoria comes from focusing too much on yourself so that you can have time to brood and build up that horrid feeling. A good way to kick dysphoria's ass is to distract yourself with something you like to do or go out and hang with some friends, anything to shift the attention away from your body and onto other people/things instead.

3. Stefan

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey friend, try hormone blockers? They might not stop it but it may make it speed up a little quicker so you don't have to deal with it as long. This is an alternative to starting testosterone. If you can start T and want to start T, then it'll go away after 2-3 months of starting T.

As for your binder issue, check out my signature below as I am giving away two brand new binders!

Hope I helped out bud!

4. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Try to find a way to distract yourself. I focused my attention on video games and movies until I was able to ride the storm out.

5. InfinityonHigh

I don't have too much to add, but honestly, distraction is the best thing possible for now. Blast some music, eat some of your favorite food, marathon a show etc. If you get cramps or something, don't hesitate to use a heat pad or maybe some pain relievers. Remind yourself that it won't last forever. For someone 18, hormone blockers aren't going to do much. Do you live in any cities that have a good amount of LGBT people? You can try looking for a program that gives out binders. Near where I am there's a program for that.