1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why does my family need to know I'm bi if I'm married?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by baristajedi, Sep 15, 2015.

1. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is likely not the way I will come out to my family members, but I thought writing this letter might be a nice way for me to think about how to talk to my family about my orientation:

We can't sit down and have a cup of coffee or glass of wine, after the kids have gone off to play on their own, chatting about what's going on in our lives.

If I were there, and we were getting together every few weeks for something or other, I would probably slip this in at an opportune time and it might even not be awkward and it may even fit into the conversation naturally.

But I'm not home, and I won't be for a while, and I just feel like sharing this with you because it's something I care about in terms of being true to myself.

I'm bi. I've always known this about myself, and I think I even tried to tell you at some point when we were much younger.

Why did I just tell you that? I'm not planning on changing much in my life. I'm still married. I know that it may seem insignificant. But I guess I just don't like that I've never said it. It's a core part of my identity, and as much as I've passionately argued for gay marriage and gay rights, and I've always been a strong supporter that others be treated with dignity and their identities understood as valid, no matter who and what they are, I have never once applied the same treatment to my identity.

I also realised through a lot of introspection, that perhaps in my life, not talking openly about being bi, or pursuing relationships with anyone other than men, it hasn't led me to full happiness. And while I've done that to myself, and I'm not happy about it, I don't want the same to ever apply to my daughter's life.

How can I model for her to be who she is and be confident in that person no matter what, if I could never do the same for myself?

I hope you understand I'm not sharing this on a whim. I share it because I want you to know the real, whole me. So there it is, that's me.

#1 baristajedi, Sep 15, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  2. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just an additional note:

I'm lucky in that my family is extremely supportive and for the most part very much allies of LGBT community.
    I'm still squeamish about talking to them though...

For 1, it makes it all more real
    2, I think they'll wonder why I'm telling them, as if I'm just basically waving my sexual feelings around. And it's more than just sex, and it's relevant to more than just who you are with, it's about self, it's about who I am...but I still feel weird about that aspect
    3, I don't want it to be dismissed. I don't want them to think I'm confused or that I don't know myself or that this is just a trivial thing

Anyone else in the same situation, and thinking about how to come out to your family?

#2 baristajedi, Sep 15, 2015
  3. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To reply to your three points:

1. I Agree it would make it more real, but maybe thats exactly what your looking to do?
    2. As a parent, I doubt I would ever wonder why my child told me something like that; I would be happy they did. Even if your parents did not express a reaction one way or another, I am sure they would not dismiss it.
    3. If you do send a letter or email, the one you wrote shows a lot of thought and consideration, so I would suspect they would know your being genuine.

All that said, is talking to them on the phone an option?

#3 OnTheHighway, Sep 15, 2015
  4. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I could get my parents in the phone. Because their schedules are really flexible.
    But with my siblings, because of our time zone differences, phone calls are usually lots of kids running around in the background (mine on my end, theirs on their end), it's on Skype snd other people popping in and out of the frame, oh hey I didn't realise you had company... All of this is unless I specifically stated I needed to talk to them under more relaxed and private circumstances.

But in that case, I'd likely write them a quick email or text saying I want to talk privately and then that makes me feel like everyone would come to the conversation feeling very tense. (Like wondering ehet does she need to talk about that's so serious?)

So I don't know... I have to come up with an approach thst feels comfortable.

5. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is anybody else going through this? I'm feeling so ashamed at being closeted for so long, I just don't know how to talk about this with the people in my life.

6. ebda30

Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes, but I battle about coming out, or why I should considering I really at this point do not want to leave my husband, so it seems pointless to come.out as.gay/bi if im living as a hetero...

7. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been going back and forth with this, asking myself should I come out to my family or not? My letter clearly says why I think I should, so that's what one side of my brain is saying. But the other side is saying what you say.

Do you think it's pointless? I'm not asking you to decide for me :slight_smile:, I'm just trying to hear different perspectives, because it helps me in my own perspective.

One of the things that really makes me feel sad is that my orientation is invisible, it's erased. I don't like that. If i can't at least act on being bi, I'd like to at least acknowledge it verbally.

I just don't know how to feel about this right now.

#7 baristajedi, Sep 15, 2015
  8. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Seems like you do know how to feel and what you want.

"One of the things that really makes me feel sad is that my orientation is invisible, it's erased. I don't like that. If i can't at least act on being bi, I'd like to at least acknowledge it verbally."

But you need to be ready.

9. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think I'm ready to talk to my mom. I still need to think a bit more before I'm ready for others to know maybe.

10. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :slight_smile:

11. CapColors

I, too, want to come out eventually, for reasons of personal politics. I want to be a verbal member of LGBT from within and spread tolerance even more than I can as an ally.

Right now I'm on a maybe 3-5 year timeline for coming out. I have to wait until my feelings fade for my current female crush, or my husband will react negatively and I'll be endangering my home life. I can't see my feelings dissipating in a shorter timeframe on their own.

This seems unbearably long! I want to talk about it with my friends and family now. I want to share my personal take on what is essentially a fascinating and awesome orientation with people I meet in person.

Like you, I also want people to know the real me. This is now a huge part of that.

But I'll have to wait until my interest in women is merely non--threateningly general and not tied so closely to my good friend.

---------- Post added 15th Sep 2015 at 12:00 PM ----------

Exactly.

#11 CapColors, Sep 15, 2015
  12. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Maybe because I'm still just becoming comfortable calling myself bi, I have trouble reconciling my place in the LGBT community. I don't know if I'll ever really belong.

I am very passionate about LGBT rights, but I still feel like I'm fighting from a distance, as an ally.

It's hard to really unravel an identity I've aligned with myself with for so long.

13. CapColors

Well, you know, one step at a time! Do what feels comfortable now. There will always be politics you can join in on if and when you are ever interested.

14. mellie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I decided to come out to my mom yesterday. I really felt like I need some familial support. And guess what? She told me I'm probably not gay, it's a phase, it's normal to not want sex with your husband, and think about what this will do to the kids...

I really was NOT expecting this response.

My only advice is if you are going to do this, make sure you stand strong in your beliefs and be prepared for anything.

Good luck to you. (*hug*)

15. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sorry mellie . That's a tough thing to feel like you're not supported.

I hope you were still able to feel strong.

I do need to prepare myself to be strong because I don't always have such a thick skin.

16. ebda30

Out Status:
    A few people
    Pointless? I dont know thr answer to that, I battle with it a lot cause although I feel I am not being who I am, im not sure WHO that is. Also, I feel, I guess its pretty childish maybe, but feel coming out in whatever y I end up identifying as while maintaining a hetero life style seems like a Dick move for m.

This is why i'm going to therapy lol. I think if it helps you feel more authentic then its something to consider. I feel like i'm lying to everyone every day, I feel like even if/when I do come out, walking around with my super straight looking family is lying also, if that makes sense?

17. High Art

I can see my mom reacting in a similar way. I told my sister, and she offered that perspective more as a question, not a statement, and allowed me to discuss. I think for some parents, they need to feel like they know their kids better than we know ourselves... It's a pride thing, a belonging, a need to be a "good" parent. That reaction is a reflection of her, not you, but I know how hard it is to battle a mother's opinion! I hate it, but if i know my mom supports me, that is when I feel the most able to move forward.

Hopefully your mom will come around. Sometimes it takes time to process.

18. earnestendeavor

Out Status:
    A few people
    You have put a lot of thought into this. It's obvious how important being honest about yourself is to you.

You asked:
    "Anyone else in the same situation, and thinking about how to come out to your family?"

Yeah. I am married to a good man. We have children. I am gay. And I am starting to tell family and close friends.

I carefully chose who I would tell. But I could never "find" the RIGHT time. Nothing ever felt comfortable. I realized after waiting for "that right moment" to tell, that there just might not be such a thing.

I contacted each of the people individually, told them face to face, and allowed time for them to adjust.

In my life I am surrounded by people who are very accepting of people different from themselves, but also, the majority of those I am surrounded by, disagree with any type of gay lifestyle.

My husband has been my number one person to talk to about being gay, and he always listens. Some of the family I told, stopped talking to me for a while. The friends I have told say they love me no matter what and they support me in my choice to stay married even though I am gay.

I don't know who else I will tell, or when, but I find I am having less anxiety by facing who I am. I feel a little more confidence in myself. I have been able to (finally) pin point the reasons I turn to food to cope (no matter how you plan to act after people know, hiding this part of you will have an obvious affect on you, as I have learn it has on me).

Good luck. It's not easy or comfortable. I hope though, that during this process, you are able to see your value.... And that, what ever you end up choosing to do, you will love that choice.
    Peace

19. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're very brave, coming out and being yourself, with limited support. It's good your husband is a source of support. Good luck to you too in continuing to see your value and gaining more confidence in being yourself.

I think you're right that there isn't really a "right moment". I don't think in my case either that there will ever be a moment where it would come naturally, living so far from my family. When I'm ready, I just have to go for it.

20. bi2me

I'm in a similar situation, and at least right now, I'm not sharing with my family. Here's why:
    1. It's not going to change anything I'm currently doing (outspoken supporter, married, etc)
    2. I think it will open more questions and concern than I feel like I want to deal with right now. I work with my parents, so there is very little separation in our lives.
    3. I have a plan for if/when to come out. Right now, we are extremely open with our young kids (7&3) that they can love any people they want (boys, girls, both, etc). If I suspect or find out one of my kids is queer, or my husband and I are no longer together, I plan to address the issue at that time.

A not insignificant part of me feels like I should come out for the political effect, but I can't at this point justify the possible ramifications when my outward personal life isn't changing. And I reserve the right to change my position in 5 minutes, if I feel like I want/need to. And yes, I realize this is me using heterosexual privilege to my advantage, and yes, I feel a significant amount of guilt about being able to pass as straight when so many can't.