1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Could This Work

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by 99701, Sep 14, 2015.

1. 99701

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been having no luck in finding anyone local on the online dating site I'm on. Someone messaged me on the site last night saying the same thing. We chatted briefly on the phone. His answers on the dating site's questions were very similar to mine. He is in another state, but says he is willing to move if things work out. Anyone have a relationship work out after starting long distance?

2. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you are both going into it with eyes open, and being open minded and flexible, then yes, I do believe it can work out. i am not sure if my relationship is a good comparison. But my partner habitually resides in South Florida, I habitually reside in the UK. We are together on average two to three weeks every four to six weeks depending on our schedules. We both travel a lot for our respective jobs, and are able to be together as a result.

We have since gotten engaged, and when we marry, we plan to be habitually residing together full time. That said, we probably will still be traveling just as much :slight_smile:

3. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I would be suspicious. Very suspicious.

How many people would change life, hob, move on a vague maybe...?

I always suspect phishing or insincerity with these folk.

4. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thats always a concern when dealing with someone online. The base assumption going in is to be suspicious. But the question, as I read it, assumes that part is out of the way and credibility has been established.

5. 99701

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I understand what you're saying. I don't think he would move until/unless we've really gotten to know each other fairly well and find there is something between us. I"m just not sure how that will happen. At least one of us will have to travel so we can get to know each other in person for a while. He lives about 12 hrs. away by car. He is an electrician, so would not have a problem getting a job anywhere. I'm not sure it will work either, but since I've met nobody else, I think I want to give it a try for a bit.

6. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do make sure you check up on the person using any search engine or whatever at your disposal. I know a guy through a Facebook group who started a long distance online friendship with someone else who'd been in the group for several years, but turned out to be someone with a fake profile playing mind games. Once he started researching the guy, the story fell apart quickly, but it was pretty devastating. And they had spoken via Skype and planned visits and everything. But a little research up front would have revealed the hoax immediately, so do be cautious.

That being said, my bf and I met online and have been together a year and a half, and I'm moving in with him this month, so it can work out. As to the mechanics of a long distance relationship, I have no experience, but as On The Highway proves, if it's right, you can find a way to make it work. I don't believe anything is impossible.

#6 Choirboy, Sep 14, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  7. 99701

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I thought things were going better than expected. He said he is on vacation right now and would drive the 12 hrs. to meet me this weekend. I was very happy about that. I got a call a little later and he says his finances are tight until he gets a check on Monday and wanted to borrow some money for the trip and he'd pay me back on Monday.

I definitely don't think I want to do that. I told him I didn't have it. We'll see if I ever hear from him again.

8. CapColors

That's kind of a red flag! If he is sincere, he should have another person he can borrow money from, not you.

9. bi2me

That sounds fishy to me!

10. 50ishandout

Stay away. Had one guy texting me telling me he wanted me to come over. He had aderol. I reminded him I work in a courthouse. I deleted his number. Didn't need people who have issues in my life.

11. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's a scam, move on

12. 99701

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    He deleted his profile from the dating site a few hours later. Like usual, if something sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Getting very unhappy with the online site. I've blocked the number he was using on my cellphone.

13. nydtc

From one Upstate Nyer to another - don't give up.
    I meet my soon to be husband online 6 years ago. We lived less than 20 mins apart but would never have met with the online dating site.
    Also try local groups - I was surprised how many local groups there are - put together not by the LGBT center but by just random guys.