Allow me to introduce myself

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by AllThingsBright, Sep 12, 2015.

1. AllThingsBright

I am 57,born female, recently out of a 30-year marriage to a cis-male. Often mistaken for lesbian, and earlier in life, occasionally mistaken for male. Currently living a celibate life and probably will continue as asexual in the LGBTQUIA continuum.

I have had platonic "passionate friendships" with both men and women, currently spending time with a trans-woman. I am drawn to her because (I think) she understands what it's like to be uncomfortable in one's own skin. Also because (I think) I find gender ambiguity attractive.

I have resisted labels, mostly because they don't fit very well. Until the divorce, the visible parts of my life, college professor husband, 1950's ranch home, cub scout son, provided a framework for interaction with the rest of the world, even if the Ozzie and Harriet image was not entirely the truth. Now that framework is gone and I find that I'm almost invisible to the rest of the world. I'm isolated, lonely and unsure how to ask for the human affection I need to survive.

So...that's why I'm here. To find people like me. To see how to cope. Maybe to figure out how gender non-conformists find each other. Are you like me? Can we talk?

2. melissakok

Hi there. Welcome! I have felt uncomfortable in my own skin for forever, like 20 years. I am finally learning how to love myself, but it's very difficult. Especially since ive tried to fit into a box for so long. I am learning what I really like, like how to dress, act... It's so hard for me to separate what is attention/approval-seeking and what is really me at this point. I am on here to build more of a community for me also. I also (thank my Higher Power) have a great network of friends around me locally and it keeps growing. But I need lots of support, especially as it's very painful to break through this stuff. Accepting myself and my sexuality is very difficult, but I feel that it will be worth it and a blessing too. Like coming out of a cocoon. Glad you are here.

Also, ive been mistaken for a male too in the past. Found out now that I am somewhere in the middle with my looks and such. And im becoming happy with that. Caring so much less about what others think. It's so freeing.

3. AllThingsBright

Nice to meetcha. I spent 25 years in Fort Collins. Colorado is a beautiful place. Lucky you having a good local support network. I guess I should take heart that it can happen.

Accepting my own sexuality isn't a huge issue for me. I have always had more gay friends than straight.

Yes. ALL the yes. I have spent the last 20 years trying to be Mother Teresa hoping it would get me some of what I need. (Seriously, a Den Mother?!) All it really got me was people lining up at my door for another piece of me. Yet, strip that away, and there isn't a lot left to connect with. I just fear that there will never be somebody who loves who I am, whoever that is.