1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boulevard movie

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by TeaTree, Sep 11, 2015.

1. TeaTree

I watched Boulevard just now, the last movie of Robin Williams, about the 60 year old man who is finally forced to deal with his sexuality and I really want to share this quote from it, it's him talking to his very sick father:

"I need to talk to you about something, Dad, okay? And I need you to listen, 'cause I know somewhere in there, you can hear me.
    I wanna talk about that time we went to the beach. Summer of 1965, I think it was. We checked into this little motel. 12 years old. You, me and Mom. If you had any idea what a journey that was. Still sticks with me to this day. Ridiculous. Something happened that summer, Dad.
    At first, I couldn't figure it out. I didn't want to. But I knew. I knew that all the wishing and praying in the world couldn't change the fact that I was gay.
    I didn't do anything about it. I didn't tell you... or Mom or anyone. It was my secret.
    And suddenly I'm 60 years old. It's like I'm still there, like nothing happened.
    Like I'm still waiting for something I felt was promised to me that day, something that never came, and I'm angry about it. And I'm still sitting on that beach, and I'm still 12 years old, and nothing's changed, and I'm still sorry about it.
    That was some summer, huh, Dad?"

Good that I watched it alone, had to cry after this part...

#1 TeaTree, Sep 11, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
  2. High Art

Jeez. If I want to cry my eyes out, I'll give it a watch!

Thanks. Good quote :slight_smile:

3. CameronMR

I wanna watch it..... ill bawl, I know it.....

4. 50ishandout

I never got to tell my father I was Gay, he died 15 years ago.

I have a friend that was never able to Come Out to his father. His father was a good man. As my friends father laid in his casket he told him he was Gay.

Sometimes as we get older we are unable to share with the most important people in our lives, sometimes we're still that 12 kid at the motel that can't share but wants to.

5. earnestendeavor

Out Status:
    A few people
    WOW. Thank you for sharing. 50ishandout, very well said.

6. 50ishandout

earnestendeavor,

When I Came Out to my sister, we talked a while, during the conversation she said knowing our father see understood why I never said anything. I disagreed with her. I said our father at first wouldn't have been jumping up and down throwing a party. He would have when he realized I was truly happy and content with me, would have been fine with me being Gay.

I told my mother about the conversation and my thoughts, and she agreed.

It's a moot point, but I like to think dad's ok with me.

#6 50ishandout, Sep 12, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
  7. Richie.

An amazing film. Bought years to my eyes! Robin was so talented and told the story so well. A real struggle for so many men. I hope people in the closet watch it and realise ENOUGH and break out the rainbow within.

Peace

8. TeaTree

Yeah, I kind of watched it for motivational purposes as well... Too bad there are basically no similar movies about women. Though for me "The hours" was one, it was a turning point really, I came out to myself shortly after watching it...(and even the movie is pretty old, I've been putting off watching it until two months ago because I knew it would trigger stuff I wasn't ready for until now)

9. Cool Bananas

Brisbane, but I seem to fly as much as superman
    still not in cinemas in Australia; keep checking but no release date just yet.

I am sure it will bring a few more people out of the woodwork.

10. Logan40

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Thanks for the recommendation. I think I'm about ready for that now too.