1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homophobic language and friends

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by purplecats, Sep 8, 2015.

1. purplecats

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So I came out to one of my friends a while ago and she was very supportive about it and it was great. The problem I have now is she still continually uses slurs and always uses the phrase "that's gay" to talk about something negative. I want to tell her how hurtful the things she says is and try to get her to understand where I'm coming from but I don't know the best was to go about it. She sometimes gets quite an attitude when people try to tell her what she's doing is wrong. I just don't want to come across as if I'm lecturing her or something, I just want her to understand the impact her words have.

2. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have a friend who does that. The next time she does it I'll say something about it.

Let her know how you feel. If she was a true friend she'd stop and still be your friend. No need to waste time with people that won't fully support you.

It's kind of like a bad habit; it's hard to break, you feel me? That's probably where she is right now.

3. Serperior

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    As long as she isn't using it to purposely hurt you I don't see what the problem is

4. Poster

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I used to say that kind of thing, before I knew. It becomes unconscious, for what it's worth - she probably doesn't mean to offend.

5. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When she says that, tell her immediately "Hey, you know I'm gay, right? Can you stop using 'That's gay' as a negative?" As others mentioned, she may be doing it unconsciously, but that doesn't make it okay when you're feeling hurt.

6. Phioo

Phioo Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    This.
    Straight people just say it without even thinking.
    Don't worry, she doesn't want to make you angry or something.

7. RetroRhombus

RetroRhombus Guest

I am mostly gay, and I, dare I say, use Faggot all the time. I just say faggot because I love that word. Me and my friends are all faggots. I am a little faggot. We are all faggots. I really dont care.

But...
    If it makes you uncomfortable or upset, just ask her to stop. A good friend would respect that.