1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm broke and need a binder, how do I get one?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Kodo, Sep 4, 2015.

1. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been, for a while now, trying to find a way to get a proper binder. Here are the factors involved:

-My parent cannot know about it, so I cannot use their cards for online ordering (nor do I have my own)
    -I don't have friends outside the family who could help me with this, like for shipping/ordering or whatnot
    -Right now I don't have the $$ for a legit binder, but could probably eventually save for one

I'm in the US, and there was an organization that supposedly gave out free binders (InABind), but I've been trying to catch their "open application" windows since June and it's not working, even after I emailed them.

What are the best/safest home methods of binding? Is there any other way I could get one for free?

Any advice is appreciated.

2. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What about sports bras? Even if your parents buy them, it's not like it'll look suspicious.

There's also this from FTM Essentials, another free binder program.

Hope you find a way to get a binder. :slight_smile:

3. dray7

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you have some camisole undershirts laying around with the built-in bras, you can try this.

4. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow, I was browsing this thread and that seems really helpful! I'll have to try it out!

5. SkylarBlur

6. Stefan

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey friendling, I am giving away two binders, if you check out my signature below you can see more info on that!

There's also a place called MORFBinders that gives away binders worldwide! So give them a google then shoot them an email. They release a monthly catalog!

7. InfinityonHigh

I'm not sure how helpful this is, but in places like 7-11 they have these prepaid credit cards which you can buy. I've never bought a binder, so I don't know how the packaging would be like and whether not you can get one without raising suspicion, but this might be an option.

8. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I just posted this on another thread about binding without having access to a binder, and I'm not sure if it'll be useful for you but here! Good luck my friend.

#8 Alder, Sep 18, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
  9. Acuba403

A friend (FTN) of mine had the same problem, and he ended up using sports tape as a home made binder for himself. It works really well after you get used to it.

10. GarbageKnight

Seriously do not use tape. It may "work" but binding with tape is really really dangerous.
    Binders move to allow you to breathe normally, tape does not. You can damage your ribs and it's almost certainly bad for your skin because the tape doesn't breathe at all.

11. Oddsocks

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, I second this - do not use tape!! Not good for you at all. Depending on your chest size, the camisole undershirt technique can do a decent job, or layering sports bras if you have any.

It's worth checking tumblr for binder giveaways, or folks who are offering free-to-good-home binders that they don't need any more. There's a lot of guys and nonbinary people on there who have binders to give away after top surgery or because they don't fit any more.

12. judecats

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just by the way, if you don't have a card you can use, I ordered a binder in the past when I was in the closet by using a prepaid visa card (you can buy them at pharmacies, corner stores). Just btw if that is an option for you. Good luck finding yourself a binder :slight_smile: