1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bisexual - Prefer Dominant Men, but Equal F/F Relationships?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Starwind78, Sep 3, 2015.

1. Starwind78

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So, I was just about settled in the idea that I *strongly* preferred women to men, even if I still found men attractive to a degree.

I am....not as firm as I was on that now. What has stayed constant, however, is that I find my attraction to men unhealthy. It feels completely different than when I am interested in a woman and almost counter to who I am as a person.

With both men and women, my attraction skews a bit older than most people in their 20s (<30s for women, <40s for men), but it is only men that I consistently prefer to be much older than me. We're talking at least 10+ years here, and I invariably lust after men in positions of authority over me. I'm not talking about the "cool" teacher/boss who treats their subordinates like relative equals either; I'm talking about situations in which there are very clear power differentials.

I imagine the ideal relationship with a woman as relatively equal, with perhaps me having a bit more say. When I consider the same thing in a heterosexual relationship though, no goddamn way - I cannot see myself as equal.

This is extremely frustrating to me because I am otherwise very independent and headstrong. I would like to think I surpassed the strong heteronormative ideas I grew up with, but they seem to be deeply ingrained.

Are there any other ladies out there who can sympathize with what I am saying, or anybody bi whose preferences are markedly different for each sex?

*Note - Oddly enough, I am repulsed by macho asshole, "alpha" male types. Maybe older men manage to tone it down while still leading? Idk. Smh

#1 Starwind78, Sep 3, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
  2. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think you need to interpret this as saying anything negative about you.

There's a lot that *could* be going on here. For one thing, I personally am repulsed by the idea of some guy "taking charge" of the decisions in my life. But:

(a) I have difficulty envisioning living with a guy who wouldn't try or think he should. This is my issue. I know not all guys are like this. But it affects me nonetheless. It means that when I think of a life partner I typically don't think of a guy. But if you feel similarly, it could be affecting what you consider *desirable* (rather than just likely, as in my case).

(b) Although I am repulsed by the notion of some guy taking control of major decisions in my life, I find the notion of a guy taking control in the bedroom...at least for a night here and there...to be kinda...hot.

I'm just careful not to confuse (a) and (b). [This is one reason why some people are poly. They may have a need for egalitarian feminine energy in their lives on a regular/ongoing basis, but at least some level of need for masculine energy in the bedroom. If needs go unmet for long stretches (I'm talking 20+ years, not 1-2 months), we become increasingly miserable...and that's not good for any relationship.]

I am not suggesting you consider a poly relationship (though there's nothing wrong with that either). Just saying there's nothing wrong or unusual with having/feeling needs that can't possibly be met by any single person.

3. QBear

Piggybacking on what BiAnnika said, starwind78, are you talking about being attracted to an older man who takes charge in real life, or an older man who takes charge in the bedroom?

What this means, and what you can productively do (or choose not to do) with this attraction depends to some degree on whether its more of a sexual kink or a lifestyle/relationship issue.

---------- Post added 4th Sep 2015 at 04:02 PM ----------

On a side note:
    As a queer fella that tries his darnedist to be an egalitarian feminist ally, I'm sorry to hear that, biAnnika, but I also totally see where your coming from. A lot of guys do really macho and controlling things that piss me off, and sometimes I'll be interested in a guy, and then he acts like a total dude or says something misogynist, and it kills it for me. I think its part of why I tend to partner with women, too. Lol

#3 QBear, Sep 4, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
  4. Starwind78

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people

5. Nightdream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Have you ever had any problems with your dad? I have the same thing, but it's probably more unhealthy. See, I can't even consider myself bisexual and I'd probably puke if I figured out I fallen in love with a guy. I have been feeling betrayed because my father showed sexist beliefs and I know a bi lady that just got able to accept her attraction to men after doing some theraphy, realising that not every men is the same. Is something like that happening to you or is it just a confusion for the way you think about an ideal relationship with both genders?

6. Starwind78

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This might be a problem, but it's not very obvious. For most of my childhood, I got along very well with my father.

I am actually very similar to my dad - the joke was growing up that I was practically his female clone. However, his values and religious beliefs still place women as subordinate even if he does not view women as fundamentally inferior in most aspects. I think it was a conflict for him to respect me and support me as much as he did. It was kind of like, "Most women aren't fit for leadership, and they should marry to contribute to society.....but not my daughter".

Another idea is that I wanted to be a lot like my older brother growing up. I was a "tomboy" for the longest time and was royally pissed when I hit puberty and couldn't "hang with the boys" anymore. I was unaccustomed to being treated differently than them and resented whenever it was expected that I take the backseat, so to speak, simply because I was a girl.

#6 Starwind78, Sep 5, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2015
  7. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I'm going to take a different direction and mention this:

It is possible that, perhaps, you seek a relationship like this to sort of 'have another try', to overcome what you feel/believe/think you never did then. It may even go further than this and -- going off what I've seen you post and share here -- you could be wanting to regain a sense of control and respect, things you hold high... if, again, I go off what you have posted and shared... from the figures that controlled you.

I wanted to contribute something that wasn't just parroting what others have said, but may also provide a degree of insight.

8. Nightdream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

9. QBear

From what I see you saying here, it seems like you are attracted to men and power situations with men that remind you of your father, as you say your dad had authoritarian sexist attitudes, despite being generally good to you. Or, perhaps, to men that represent your experience of sexism more generally.

In this, you are not alone. This is a classic relationship dynamic (albeit a bit more sexualized) made more confusing because you are queer. I know I was attracted to my ex wife because she was controlling and it reminded me of my overbearing and controlling mother. Even if a dynamic is disturbing, one can be attracted to it because it is familiar. And it was almost as if in breaking up with her, I was acting out my own liberation in ways that I couldn't do as a child or teen.

It did (and still does sometimes) make me question whether I can have a healthy relationship with a woman. However, my sexual attractions tend to favor women, so I've decide to try to heal from that stuff as best I can with awareness practice, meditation, and therapy.

So I guess I'd suggest finding a gay & bisexual affirming and sex positive therapist to help you sort through this. (I wish I'd gone to therapy before I'd gotten with my ex - it might have saved years of heartache. So be glad your looking at this now, before you're seriously involved with someone.)

Good luck!

#9 QBear, Sep 5, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2015
  10. Starwind78

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Many of the men I am attracted to are not overly similar to my dad personality-wise so it may be the authoritarian/sexist attitudes I'm zeroing in on.

Your recommendation for therapy sounds like a good idea. I have had success with therapy in the past for anxiety. I think I've worked through most of my problems with anxiety and could use help with this instead.

That is an idea too, and certainly makes me feel a bit better about myself! I had a lot of problems with my teachers when I was a kid. It does not sound like a coincidence at all that I get a lot out of approval from my professors and bosses now. I never had that positive attention back in the day, so maybe my craving for approval is especially strong now. Securing sexual attraction on top of that does feel, oddly enough with the power differential, very empowering.