1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Ky. clerk jailed for refusing to issue marriage licenses

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Geek, Sep 3, 2015.

1. candyjiru

Took long enough... smdh. I can't believe she's getting paid 80,000 dollars to not even do her job >.>

:***::tantrum::***:

2. Geek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Too all those saying they find it "admirable" that she stood up for her religious beliefs,

She's an elected government official swarm to protect the law of the land. The second you start pushing your religious beliefs into the political sector, you become in favor of a theocracy. You fine with that? Go to Saudi Arabia.

Also ignoring the law because you disagree with it, doesn't make you a martyr; it makes you an asshole.

3. MrSkittles

Good, she refused to follow the LAW and now she got what she deserved.

4. DanDan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm applauding her fortitude. Doesnt mean I support her actual cause.

5. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
  6. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What's scary about Huckabee and the other Republican candidates that happen to think like him (not all do) is that he is basically saying if I'm elected, I'm not going to follow the rule of law, or encourage others to do so either (unless it's a cause I support) He claimed on FNC that what SCOTUS decided was irrelevant, because (in his opinion) they made a law that didn't exist, and it is the legislature that makes law. Of course the lady interviewing him didn't remind him that is exactly what SCOTUS was doing, they were interpreting a existing law to see if it was constitutional. That is within their authority, and anyone with even a basic knowledge of civics or American law knows this.

Regarding Todd Starnes, so someone who is denying someone else their rights is the same as someone who had their rights denied?

7. Posthuman666

8. DanDan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    She's not a martyr.
    Martyrs have to die for the cause, not go to prison.

Kim, just give it up. Don't want to marry LGBT couples? Retire or get another job.

9. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Realistically, no matter what happened with Kim Davis, she'd be a conservative hero. No matter what could have happened--jail, fines, or being left running the office, refusing to issue marriage licenses--she'd have been a hero.

All we can do is do whatever it takes to get her to either A) resign B) allow marriage licenses to be issued. And when she cracks, there will be conservatives who praise her for the good fight, and decry the way that the liberal left bullied her.

10. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Honestly, I think they should not wait to let her resign because that will stoke support for her (and waste taxpayer money). If she is incapable of performing the duties she was assigned, she needs to be reassigned to another position or fired outright.

11. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    See, I don't really understand why people are worried about her getting support. They've already lost. This like fighting the loyalists after they lost a civil war or something. They are already lost.

We need to move happily into the phase of routing the enemy.

*Sips her coffee*

12. PerfectlyNormal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    If she got the job before it was legal in Kentucky, then she should be allowed to have her job (but with less pay).
    If she got the job after it was legal in Kentucky, she just needs to get fired.

Or just not allow her to know the genders of the people getting the liscence.

13. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's even biblical precedent for her to resign.

The public servant may disagree with the policies she carries out, but it is her duty to obey them while she serves in that position. A good public servant understands that her duty is to the law she follows and that she must either choose to accept it or cease to be a public servant.

If the Bible is unconvincing, then perhaps a tad of Kant is more so, though a lot of this essay seems a bit iffy to me.

#53 Aussie792, Sep 4, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
  14. Gentlewoman

Out Status:
    A few people
    She can't be reassigned. She was elected specifically to be the county clerk, amd she is not allowed to be put in any other job than what the voters dictated. Similarly, she cannot be fired, because she is not an employee of the state. She is an elected official, and therefore must be impeached by the state legislature, found ineligible to continue holding office, or recalled. I don't think Kentucky allows recalls, and the legislature seems to be on her side (and not in session anyway), so no impeachment. That leaves being found ineligible to hold office, and it is unlear whether being in jail but not convicted of a crime actually does that.

#54 Gentlewoman, Sep 5, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2015
  15. Gentlewoman

Out Status:
    A few people
    Fucking LMAO! Can't link because I'm on mobile, but the Westboro Baptist Church is picketing Kim Davis, calling her a serial adulturer and accusing her of being a " fag enabler" because one of her deputy clerks signed a gay marriage license.

16. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

#GodHatesAdultery: Westboro Baptist church turns on Kim Davis for causing ‘F*g marriage’

Yes their argument is pretty funny. Unfortunately there statements aren't, but that's typical of the WBC. I think sometimes they say stuff just to get attention, or maybe they're just crazy.

#56 sldanlm, Sep 6, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
  17. Lone Dragon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I wouldn't wish her any hate or anything. Even though she spitting out hate. Not worth my time. I also don't think putting her in jail really solves anything. For all I know she may actually like it there. As for her job, I think anyone can go after any job they want, but you shouldn't be able to shout out and persuade people into your beliefs. Although isn't this kind of like medical providers who can refuse to provide treatment because a patient is gay, lesbian, or transgendered?

I can never understand why people feel they can go stomping around people's lives and act like they haven't done anything wrong.

Religion feels like the cause for everything.

The Westboro Baptist Church unfortunate chance to grab any attention in their fading light. They make no sense, but I guess they are trying to make a living or something doing this.

18. RainDreamer

It feels like they are a really, really bad satire group. If I didn't know better, I would thought they are trying to show us how ridiculous extremist are by pretending to be them.

19. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Like others have said, fighting for your beliefs is only as admirable as the beliefs your fighting for.
    There's nothing admirable about defending blind faith, imo.

20. blaziken25

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone