1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Ky. clerk jailed for refusing to issue marriage licenses

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Geek, Sep 3, 2015.

1. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Good. She can eat shit for a while. When she's ready to rejoin the community, we'll assess her readiness...

~ Adrienne

2. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    If she really cares about God so much and worries about going to hell for issuing a gay marriage license, I think she should have just resigned. It would have worked so much better for her. But nope. She thinks she's a martyr.

3. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Can somebody make a boutique lubricant with her tears?

4. DanDan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't see the fuss with her. She defends biblical marriage, but these people aren't coming to her to get married under God/ the church (aka, biblical marriage), but rather the law. Her passion and fortitude to defend her beliefs is admirable, but she's turning this into something it shouldn't be.

5. Willa

I'm sorry that is had to come to this, because I know she believes she is doing the right thing, but something had to be done, and I'm glad the Supreme Court is standing by their decision.

6. Moonflower

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yeah, they've made her a martyr for the cause. Nothing good can come out of this. I don't understand why they could not just fire her from the job. Is her job not a county clerk? She's failing to fulfill the requirements of the job, plain and simple. Of course she'd be able to appeal the firing, and she'd still get substantial right wing funding, but at least she wouldn't be considered a "Prisoner of Conscience."

7. starfish

She can not be fired as the county clerk is an elected position. However there are ways to remove her from office. The county procecutor has asked the state attonery General to bring her up on charges. He can not do it him self due to a conflict of interest.

This is far from settled. The pont of the jail time or fines is to coerce someone into complying with the courts order. I expect her attorney to appeal in few days saying the jail time is punitive not coercive.

Then she'll resign or be removed from office. Then she'll be a Fox News talking ahead on tyranny of the liberal elite.

8. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think it'll take her the rest of her god damn miserable life!

9. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Because it's an elected position she can't be fired. She was also already a martyr for the "cause", jailing her for contempt changed very little apart from a few angry tweets from far right idiots like Mat Staver and Bryan Fischer complaining that the government wouldn't get out of the way of their particular brand of religion.

She knew the law, decided to flout it and was rightly jailed for it. She's no-one to blame but herself and the idiots at Liberty Counsel who are using her.

10. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Fully, agree, her actions put everyone between a rock and a hard place. "So be it" as others have commented. There is a much, much greater danger in the precedent that would have been set if she had been allowed to continue; one must balance risks, it is a lesser risk to jail her, yeah, she'll be the poster child for the religious right (but she'll be preaching to the converted, nothing new there), until she becomes another embarrassment, like the Duggars...

11. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    And the Lord said unto Felicia, "Bye".

I'm glad they finally put her in contempt for this. Long overdue for someone disobeying a Supreme Court order.

12. Aviator182

I am glad to see that this is being taken care of. I completely understand not wanting to go against your religious beliefs. But she is a public official and part of her position was to up hold the law. She should have resigned if she could no longer do her job. Also, I question her so called "religious superiority" views. Married three times and had an affair. I really don't think she did this in the name of religion, I think she did it just to discriminate and get her 15 minutes of fame.

13. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, it's not. She's a hateful, atrocious vandal.

She was using her position as an executor of the law to dehumanize people like you and me. Why admire her clear demonstration of evil just because she's willing to accept the consequences?

Executors of the law have a duty to protect and enhance the lives of the public, not injure and demean them.

14. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree, she intended to use her position of power as a representative of the state to "spread God's word", a clear violation of the first amendment to the constitution.

The quality of steadfastness in the face of opposition seems admirable, but it can be misused. The greater the "good" that people think they are doing, the greater the potential for evil (the famous road to hell being paved with good intentions). This is a manifestation of fanaticism, in the guise of something more noble, it is no different from the adherents of ISIS or the followers of Pol Pot; great evils done in the name of "great causes"...I can only pray one thing: to be delivered from the arrogance of the "true believers", and those who cynically manipulate and exploit them.

15. BobObob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree.

Aside from the fact that her actions were made more reprehensible by the fact that she's a public official who is refusing to do her job, passion and fortitude are only as admirable as the beliefs behind them.

16. metalchick

I can't stand this woman, they ought to leave her ass in jail, and take away her privilages for working there

equality in the usa!!

17. DanDan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I meant that her willingness to defend her beliefs is admirable, not that her beliefs themselves are admirable.
    She's a tough one.

18. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Funny...

People always recall the Jews but the Nazi's killed LGBT too...

[​IMG]

19. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So Davis was trying to kill gay marriage and only got her own ills exposed. Hurray!!!!!!

20. mikaanddrew

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sweet sweet justice.