1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you think of plastic surgery?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kyoujin, Aug 31, 2015.

1. GArchi1992

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If it makes someone feel better about themselves, then I'm all for it

2. blueshadedsoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If it makes people feel more comfortable with their bodies & they can afford it, then I don't see anything wrong with it.

3. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's sad people feel they have to conform to mainstream society's narrow ideas of beauty.

To me, people have been sold a bill of goods that they have took a certain way to be acceptable; to wear certain clothes, to driver certain cars, and to generally define themselves by the external.

Except in cases of accidents and serious disfigurement, I think it's a tragic waste of money, and that one would be better off trying to accept themselves, or to spend the money on therapy towards that end.

As I recall, Chip had a much more eloquent post on this topic; I'll have to try to find it, and re-post it, as it says more than I have the time to now.

It's sad to me that so many people see it as merely some benign thing, and not a malignant, coercive attack by the cosmetic surgery industry itself (and by extension, the fashion and cosmetic industries) that plays on people's sense of vulnerability and sense of self esteem.

I suppose, though, I grew up rejecting these things. Coming out was hard, because in ways, I just felt more isolated: so many gay men seemed to embrace these same ideals of beauty, perhaps even more so, that it made me feel quite hopeless.

It seemed to me that all most gay men wanted was some pretty-boy they could flaunt to the world like a Gucci hand-bag, until they found an even better one.

It is this sense of commodifcation that disgusts me most about things like plastic surgery.

#23 HuskyPup, Sep 5, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2015
  4. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    A lot of transgender people get plastic surgery as part of their transition. Critisizing plastic surgery in general is one thing, but do bear that in mind.

5. Simple Thoughts

I'd categorize that differently. That's bringing your image to where it was meant to be, as opposed to altering your image because you have body image issues caused by low self-esteem.

6. CyanChachki

As I see it, they can do whatever they want. It's their money and their body and if they want to get botox or a face lift, then I say let them do it.

7. RemakeJake

I don't like people who say, "NEVER get plastic surgery. Accept yourself the way you are!" My ex (now very close friend) had a nose job a few years ago, and when he showed me a picture of him before that, I did NOT recognize him. His face is so much more symmetrical and handsome now.

My opinion is, as long as you don't obsess or let it take over, if you're insecure about something and it can be fixed, just get it done.

8. Ardi

Out Status:
    Some people
    I think if the person really wants to do it and would be more comfortable and confident in the end, then by all means they should go for it.

9. Eye Shine

When I was five my mom took me to get my ears done. My ears use to be so big out in the open I looked like dumbo. So I was perfectly okay with it as a child and till this day I love my ears and I am happy about the change.

10. RainDreamer

I don't see why not, as long as it doesn't harm people's wellbeing.

I am very against body shaming people to the point they are forced to take surgery though. And yet, that's the tactic that has been used to hawk these services onto people.

11. LogicNoSense

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not a huge fan, but for cosmetic purpurses, such as after a fire, disease, etc, when it is needed, I'm all for it. Otherwise, I find it more...unneeded? I understand people perusing beauty, but still.

12. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Good point. There is overlap between the two, but they aren't the same thing.

13. Simple Thoughts

My big issue with plastic surgery is that it's almost like a band-aid that you slap over a much more serious issue.

14. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think people should be able to have it as long as they are old enough to chose to do so and are really commited to it but it's nothing I wouldn't really want to consider too much

15. Ames

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hav eno problem with it myself, actually I had Breast Augmentation which I am very pleased with my results. Taht said I feel if you are going to have PS or some other sort of body modification you need to have realitic expectations. Also for some Ps or modifications can become addicting which is not good

16. Charon

Charon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's good.