1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Scientists use skin cells to create artificial sperm and eggs

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by FootballFan101, Aug 30, 2015.

1. FootballFan101

#1 FootballFan101, Aug 30, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  2. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm more worried about the effect this would have on the baby if a child is born from two people of the same sex. It has just never been naturally done, so we really don't know what kind of side effects a child will have. As for trans people, I don't think we'd have much luck if the female was trans because science hasn't progressed to the point where she would be able to carry a fetus.

#2 Skaros, Aug 30, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  3. FootballFan101

Oh I thought there was transplants

4. gasian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This is very interesting. I knew this was possible from my bio class, but that it was hard to do. You're essentially taking skin cells, turning them into stem cells (I believe they were called IPCs-induced pluripotent stem cells), and then stimulating them to become gametes, similar to how a zygote becomes a human.

If a child were to be born from cells like this, then I'd be incredibly happy. For this technology to be approved by the FDA, or whichever government agency is in charge of this tech, it would have to be put under rigorous testing. They'd probably check the mitochondrial DNA, as well as the nuclear DNA to make sure the same problems that happen with clones (primarily, old age-relevant diseases that pop up in the relatively young clone), wouldn't happen in the children.

5. DanDan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just don't think this is something we should be doing, that is unless 80% of humanity went extinct and suffered reproduction issues.

6. Sebulba

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I understand a same sex or transgender couple wanting their biological children. But i also feel there are thousands of children, existing and future, that would benefit tremendously from being brought into a loving family, no matter who the parents are.

7. FootballFan101

True that

8. KaelTail

Genetics doesn't make a family. I'm a little hesitant to endorse something that makes adoption even less likely of an option. So many kids out there need caring parents, we don't need to be flocking to science to give us more ways to populate and already over-populated planet.

I know for some people, something like this might feel like "the only option", but making it available doesn't mean it should be the favorable way to have kids for a couple who might have difficulty having biological kids. While I always support choice, I'm extremely cautious in supporting this.

9. kyoujin

Agreed. This world is much to overpopulated. More people should adopt than breed.

10. Im Hazel

Yah, there have been loads attempted. Lili Elba (one of the first ladies to have SRS) actually had a uterus transplant, but it failed. And not a single one has succeeded since. Yet... <3

11. ChameleonSoul

The planet has way too many people living on it already. Plus the unintended consequences of doing this will most likely be disastrous. So the thought of this occurring at such a large scale seems disturbing.

12. C P

C P

Although, not gonna lie, it would be pretty interesting and nice to be able to have a bio child with someone I wouldn't normally be able to, I'm one of those people who is a bit terrified of this kinda thing and possible consequences.

There comes a point where I feel science can be too intrusive of 'nature', and this is definitely one of them.

13. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

It's a cute idea, but forcing anybody into adopting is almost as bad as not adopting. This is one of those instances where, science or not, a genuine desire to adopt isn't going to vanish. Also, as harsh as it is to say, some folks, especially if they have biological kids, can struggle with the whole 'real' kid vs 'adopted' kid.

As for this topic itself, it could lead to good and bad things. It all depends on who holds the resources and their intentions.

14. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My first thought was:

But does the sperm taste good?