1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who did you come out to first?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by mochii, Aug 26, 2015.

1. MetalRice

My mother for both my bisexuality and me being transgender, since she was the only person I really had to tell, it went well with the former; not so much with the latter.

2. Chrisr

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've a weird one.
    I first came out to this guy that I played with on the same game server that I kind of knew but didn't really know. We were having a conversation and were on the topic of "guys, girls, whatever you prefer" and I kind of gingerly said guys. I was like, well you know what? If he rejects me horribly, it will at least have been a start. He didn't mean much to me at the time, but he didn't reject me and now we're really good friends. :slight_smile:

I now give him straight dating advice.. Go figure.

#22 Chrisr, Aug 30, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  3. mochii

That's so refreshing to hear. Sometimes I see people I don't know as blank slates to start anew with because if they reject you, it can't hurt your feelings too much.:eusa_danc And the whole giving straight dating advice made me lol :roflmao::eusa_clap

---------- Post added 31st Aug 2015 at 01:24 AM ----------

So much to get off my chest:eusa_doh: But I was also late to recognize that I was gay, so I still want more time to process everything. Hopefully some time soon I can share it with someone close to me!

4. Wardrobe93

Mine was a bit crazy. for about a year i was so scared of coming out i used to write letters to my parents and hide them. My thought being that if its written down. I wont run away from it.

Anyway.... one day my mum was emptying a draw because it was being moved to my sisters room and found one of these letters.

So one morning I they sat down with me and i cried Mum cried and that was the first of many coming outs i had to do

5. PumpkinSpice

I told my best friends first though they kind of always knew. I didn't even really have to officially say I liked women, it was just always a thing since I was a kid. Then I slowly told a few of my other friends, and work. And lastly my family after I was in a relationship with a transman.

My dad took it the worst which resulted in a lot of fights and uncomfortable holidays because apparently his side of the family would never understand or accept me so I had to keep it a secret because he didn't want the hassel. I honestly think he just has something against trans and gay people but knows it's wrong so doesn't directly say it. Instead he comes up with excuses for why I shouldn't tell anyone or why he insisted on calling my exBF she/her/gf/female name. The fighting gets exhausting but I found when I had someone to stand up for it didn't bother me as much.

Good luck with your coming out! Hope it goes well :slight_smile:

6. Chrisr

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Right? I'm all.. Well I have no idea what women want, but I'd try this with a guy so go for it and see if it works out! :eusa_danc

7. blaziken25

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  8. Sunrays

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Parents at 15, still not sure if it was the right thing to do. Started telling others much later, 22.

9. xxCHAOTIC

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I more got informed by my two best friends, for years, before I finally admitted it. Grudgingly. I still don't feel "ready" but was so tired of denying it so aggressively but knowing it was true.

Though I suppose the first person I TOLD is my now-ex boyfriend. He's bi himself, so it went very smoothly. He was upset, duh, we'd been together for four and a half years but we're still best friends. Still planning on living together. My sexuality was by no means the only reason we agreed to end that relationship but we're better friends now for all of it.

Then my dad. I was just rambling about being so conflicted and he rambled around being fine with it.

Then just flippant comments to some of my friends at work. More... Trying to warm myself up to the idea of being open and out than any planning. They both took it well too.

Aaand that was all this year. So 24. I can say with confidence that I know I'm a lesbian if people ask. Just... Still trying to warm up to being okay with that myself. Reading all of this here helps. A lot.

10. mochii

Yup it's tough feeling too old or late to come to terms with everything. But I'm realizing it doesn't matter, everyone has their own journey and some people don't realize until theyre much older. I think every single one of my closest friends have questioned me since high school and I was always like "WHAT ME NO!!!" And now I'm like oh...yeah they were right haha. But congrats on coming out to people:eusa_clap

11. n3e

n3e

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I came out to my parents first. It was hard to tell them, but they are really important to me and we are close, so I wanted them to know first.