1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out Letter to Parents: Draft

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by SimpleMan, Aug 26, 2015.

1. SimpleMan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you for the positive comments everyone!

I included a copy of the following article:

When Our Son Told Us He Was Gay - July 2002 Issue of St. Anthony Messenger Magazine Online A little old, but I thought it would be useful to them.

I also included an article about the stages of grief and a printed out a PFLAG booklet for parents to use as a guide when their child comes out. I included the contact information for the local PFLAG chapter as well as the contact info for a pro-LGBT Catholic group called DignityUSA.

#21 SimpleMan, Aug 30, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  2. piano71

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    SimpleMan -

What happened? Looks like you sent the letter. Hope everything turned out OK...

3. Bearfix

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Only just read this. Hope everything is going well for you and good luck.

Well done for being you :slight_smile:

4. SimpleMan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey all the week of no contact is up tomorrow so I will start reaching back out to them then. Word from my sisters is that my dad seems supportive based on a picture he posted to a social media site after I dropped off the letter. Here is a different version of the meme he posted. Son, i closed my eyes for but a moment and suddenly... We'll see how much my mom wants to discuss it when I reach out tomorrow. I forgot they are leaving town for Labor Day Weekend so I may not get to talk to them in person until the middle of next week.

5. BidiKlum

Aw that is a lovely meme, so glad to hear that. Congratulations on taking this big step!!

6. SimpleMan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks. Had my first text convo with my mom. She initiated since they are going out of town. Some of it was fine, some of it made me cringe. See below for the convo:

Mom: Are you in a good space emotionally for us to go out of state to the trailer
    Me: Yep. Going out with friends tonight. How are you doing with things?
    Mom: God has me. He told me he has you In his arms. So I am in more peace. Yes God talks to me

(What I want to do after hearing that. :bang::bang: What I actually said is below)

Me:Glad you are doing ok.
    Mom: I just have one question. Your gay and you don't like karaoke. Have fun be safe.
    Me: Lol! Yes still don't like it. I don't fit that particular stereotype about gay men very well. Karaoke fuels my anxiety. BTW X knows and I told her it was ok to tell Y and Z. Told her while we were on vacation.
    Mom:Told dad response would include word stereotype. Be safe
    Mom: ok

So this seems like the best case scenario unless she tries to get me to go back to church and be celibate. Otherwise the biggest barrier to being open and authentic is now gone. Still going to take some work to make a habit of not shying away from being open about it.

7. Geek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Sounds like your parents don't really care which is awesome! (!):eusa_clap(&&&):kiss:

Only thing that bugs me about your letter is how overly apologetic you are and you give religious people too much credit and wiggleroom to be hateful.

Glad to see that at least your text conversation was okay. Keep us updated as you talk to your parents in person mid next week :slight_smile::icon_bigg

8. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Slightly awkward with your mom, but it didn't seem like anything hysterical. I hope it feels like a weight has lifted. :slight_smile:

9. SimpleMan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I already know her mind will never be changed on the religious front. I see a difference between agreeing to disagree and giving her permission to openly disrespect or talk down to me. She's had gay friends and coworkers. My parents were basically introduced to each other by gay men. If she hasn't changed her mind with all of that history, I don't see her ever changing it. It makes me worry about her overall mental state though. She has much worse struggles with anxiety than I do. She never took counseling seriously and instead relies solely on dogmatic religious beliefs to bring order and comfort to her life.

I've got every other person in my family on my side as well. I am not afraid to walk away from situations if she becomes hateful. She will learn that I won't tolerate that kind of behavior from her.

10. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lol, oh damn sounds like I'm not going to get your car after all.

With reference to your dad. You know dads are more sensitive and reasonable than what us sons give them credit for. My dad was always distant and non affectionate. I now know this was because he was stressed - feeding a family, dealing with my mom, dealing with work environment on and on. So you got a glimpse into your dad's inner being. Way cool.

Mom's and people who turn to religion. I theorize people and in this case your mom turn to religion and become "dependent" on it big time because deep down they are insecure. Please note this theory does not pertain to everyone who turns to religion. If this theory is correct, partially correct, one has to ask, why is person x insecure?

So I'm reading in your mom's reply (this is only a theory) she turns to god because deep down she is insecure. God is her life crutch.

Now you (yep I'm on my second cup of strong coffee) accept yourself and thus are very secure, specially with who you are. So then the contention comes down to, it's hard for you to see (or frustrating) why your mom turns to god when she is dealing with stressful life affairs.

Oh man caffeine rush, hang on. I'll offer a metaphor. Jim Jones, Jones town and drinking Kool Aid laced with cyanide. For the longest time I could not figure out why people would follow a crack pot like Jim Jones. I just didn't get it. (Kind of like you not understanding your mom)

So if any of the theories offered above has any kind of correctness, the task comes down to, how do you deal with and teach someone who is dependent on "something"? Patience, facts, love.

Later dude. Hopefully I didn't step on any toes.

---------- Post added 5th Sep 2015 at 08:23 AM ----------

Your post above come up after my post that begins with, ~"I don't get your car."

So my theories may have credibility.

With reference to your anxiety. You may find, as I have personally experienced, anxiety will dissipate the more you accept yourself and the more others accept you.

Later

#30 brainwashed, Sep 5, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2015
  11. SimpleMan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Last follow up here. Things are weirdly normal. I wasn't expecting this at all based on past experiences with my mom and the way she has treated my sisters when they haven't measured up to her expectations. Went to an event last weekend where my mom was there and everything was fine. Other family even made a few harmless jokes around me coming out and my mom didn't react negatively. She even sent me a text the day after saying she had gone to see a religious movie and wanted to make sure I didn't misconstrue a Facebook post she made about the movie to be about me being gay. So it all went so much better than expected. The letter writing route really was the best way to go in this case.