1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Android robots?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by kyoujin, Aug 24, 2015.

1. kyoujin

What are your thoughts on the realistic androids that have been being made in Japan since the mid 2000's?

I find them fascinating. Some people find them creepy, but I find the uncanny looks to be intriguing. But I've always liked that kind of thing...

Anyways, what kind of future do you think they have? Will they become more widespread?

2. RainDreamer

I think that we tried to emulate human characteristics too much in those androids. A robot can be much more efficient in almost all situations if it doesn't have to look like a human, being bipedal and having only 2 hands and all that. I think drones would be much more wide spread than those.

Androids can be good for companionship, but it is not like we are lacking human for that role. I am seeing them being treated more as toys, maybe in a real doll chassis like an autonomous sex toy, and their owners can treat them as they like without feeling morally guilty.

3. Midori

Out Status:
    Some people
    I realized that there was an actual question here. I was going to make a reference to character who is an android robot who feels more emotions then they should.. o.e"

4. kyoujin

I agree with this. I forsee a business of robot sex partners in the future.

There is also a possibility that lonely people who cannot find a lover will turn to androids for companionship.

5. ukeuke00

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    No matter how lonely I feel I don't think I could ever turn to an android lover for companionship. Technology is only as good as the people that create it in my opinion. I don't think a robot could ever be a substitue for a real person with real emotions. Still, different strokes for different folks I guess...lol.

6. Phioo

Phioo Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only

yup.
    Japan.

7. ukeuke00

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Aw, it made me laugh when you wrote that and I love Japanese culture. I'm guessing you wouldn't settle for an android if it came to it then? lol...

8. blaziken25

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They are interesting. I would probably get one to do my chores :grin:

9. kyoujin

If AI is perfected, it could be possible to make a robot that thinks completely autonomously, feels emotions, pain and pleasure, and even dreams.

In my opinion, that is almost just like a human being. After all humans are all but organic machines.

But of course, the risk of making a self-aware artificial being that could potentially surpass a human in intelligence as well as function is a large risk, and I doubt scientists of the future would go that far. It could turn into a cinema-esque catastrophe.

10. Nekobi

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
  11. ukeuke00

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't really think of people as machines myself, but I can totally see how you relate to people being organic machines. I think I have been playing too much Mass Effect...lol. The reapers are machines and the thought of them freak me out big time.

Morals, ethics and self awareness come into my mind when I think of ideal android lovers. If the android has been programmed to love you then then the affection you receive is forced because it has been programmed to love you. There is a lack of natural love that has developed over time. If the machine has it's own AI and chooses to love you, then to me it is not right to love the android as it won't have an organic body. Plus the android won't age but you will, making things awkward.

I guess it just comes down to personal preference again and maybe I am thinking too deep on this...lol. I find it interesting though. Using an android to do chores is very tempting though!

12. FootballFan101

13. Lazuri

Those androids don't really have a future. Japanese companies build them largely for PR campaigns.

Anyways, on the subject of AI; the only thing you really need for an AI to not become a murderous monster is empathy. That's it, really.

14. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I find them creepy, I've seen some of those and they just gave me goosebumps. Lazuri is absolutely correct, they're mostly used for PR campaigns.