1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Death Note Fans (Possible Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Zippi, Aug 24, 2015.

1. Zippi

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I finally caved in and watched Death Note, and by that I mean I watched up to about episode 27 in one sitting, then fell asleep. Can I get some general opinions about DN up to and after episode 24? I need to vent over this and I'm hoping to find some fans just as crushed and angry as I am over the most prominent human death up to that point. :dry:

2. Phioo

Phioo Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I'm not really a fan but I sure af do like it.

3. Riyuzaki

Riyuzaki Guest

yeah, that was bad :///

4. hullaballoo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    As much as *insert his name* 's death was sad (and the first time I had no clue that would happen it was kinda shocking) but it kinda worked in all fairness :frowning2:
    Unfortunately most people gave up the series as soon as he dies but they're missing out!
    Death note is definitely on of the best psychological animes out there and I hope you enjoy the rest of it

5. Lyana

Meh, I wasn't as much into it after this death. (Although I wasn't sad or angry, I didn't really care about him much; he just made the story interesting.) But I still loved the anime as a whole, and would recommend you watch the rest. It's good. Interesting. A bit dark, of course.

6. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The only anime better than Death Note, in my opinion, is Hellsing. But both are masterpieces.

Watch until the end, you will not regret it.

7. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I loved it when he died, don't get me wrong, he is my favorite character in all of anime, and there is this definite feeling of 'emptiness' that persists for the rest of the show, following his death. The thing is, Death Note in essence is a tragedy, so this is completely appropriate on a thematic level, and his death makes perfect sense as a logical progression of this kind of story. The nature of death note, is to leave you feeling miserable and depressed yet having experienced something wonderful and thought provoking at the same time. That's the impression that it left on me anyway. That's why I adore it so!~

As for the second part itself, it's unpopular among some of the fans. While I get where they're coming from, and I do have a few criticisms of my own, I wholeheartedly disagree with the general consensus on part 2. I think the second part is just as good as the first in its own right, though it sorta comes down to how you feel about a certain character, and I think that's the case for alot of people. Well, if you can look past that, I think you'll enjoy the second half and it's conclusion which is nothing short of tragic perfection in my mind. If you can't get into it as much, that's fine too~ i'm pretty comfortable in saying Part 2 isn't for everyone.

#7 kageshiro, Aug 24, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
  8. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I loved every episode. I think *you know who*'s death was well written into the story. The story was still very very interesting even after that, and the end was just incredible. The whole show made me question what I truly feel about divine punishment. It's definitely a masterpiece.

9. Nekobi

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Love Death note!
    You know who's death was sooo sad and I'll admit I cried. I have to agree with Kageshiro though- even though he is one of my most favourite characters ever, his death was, in a way necessary to the story. For me though the show/manga wasn't as good after that (it was still good) but I felt that both abtagonist and protagonist balanced each other so well and brought out the human in both characters, whilst the antagonists of the second season were more devices than characters.

He will always live on though. Every time I eat cakee... I think mmmm... cakee - but then... I think of him.

10. Eye Shine

The manga artist wanted to end it after you know who dies and have Light go with him too and that was suppose to be the final chapter. However, Death Note was a hit and Shonen Jump was making a lot of money off of it. Thus, the company didn't allow Death Note to end. Nevertheless, after you know who dies the show was dropping in ratings and they finally ended it. It wasn't suppose to go on longer than when you know who dies. I do still think it's a great anime adaptation from the manga. I didn't really get hooked on the live action movies. But the J Drama adaptation that is currently airing is actually really good.

11. Lazuri

The story loses a lot of steam after that. The grand game of outsmarting each other just loses its intensity.

12. ScaryClosets

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    IT WAS SO FREAKING SAD!!! *Cries in the corner* But I kept watching it, and it was awesome!!! Especially the last episode man, da best thing I've ever seen.

13. Zippi

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I loved the intense mind games between the two, it made the series whole. In a way, I even wanted him to die because I wanted to see Light prevail. But at the same, while I was getting attached to the character, our Light and him were bonding, even if in the smallest ways possible, while Light was briefly his former self. At that point, my death wish for him became more of a passing thought, not an actual want. When it really happened, I wasn't so much as shocked as I was offended. In most series and movies, we're not accustomed to losing key players. When this anime crossed this line, the part of me that felt entitled to the "happy circumstances" offered by most works of fiction, I was outraged at the offense. Now that I've thought it over more and read all the responses, I can appreciate the death as it was anticipated and elaborately set up in an ingenious and truly cynical way, and my darker side can certainly appreciate some cynicism and precise analysis. But despite this, I think I'll still always harbor some negative feelings towards the writers. It's not so much that he was killed off that really hurts, it's more that they felt the need to introduce another character almost identical in terms of looks, clothing style, and personality type as the deceased. It's like losing your daughter to a serial killer, adopting a new daughter that looks very similar to her, and forcing her to wear the dead girl's clothing and style her hair the same way, and basically force this new girl to assume the identity of the other girl in order to fill a void. Mentioning force, I think the two main newly introduced characters seem too forced... I would have been completely satisfied to have the anime end right there with Light reining over the world as a wrathful God. I will still finish the anime though. I've came this far, I can't just stop!

14. Nekobi

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Ahh I see. That makes sense. The second series did have a slight forced feeling about it. It was still good though and that last episode. Wow.

15. jonjon

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I couldn't have said it better myself. You have to at least finish the series. The anime is definitely in my top 5. In the least, listen to the second intro if you haven't already heard it. So good. It always gives me the chills and gets my blood pumping. Its by Maximum the Hormone, a Japanese band, and the song is called What's Up People?!. The second outro is also by them and the song is called Zetsubou Billy. Ah! I'm going to go listen to the band and then the soundtrack right now!

Also, there is a Japanese live action Death Note series coming out.

16. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I agree completely with Kageshiro! I'll add that Light vs/ Kira is actually one of my favourite parts of the anime (early part 2). And my favourite Death Note character isn't introduced until part 2. I actually like part 2 better than part 1, although I definitely missed *you know his name*.

17. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I also love the second op/ed, they illustrate lights descent into madness perfectly.

18. BrokenRecord

BrokenRecord Guest

I don't know much of anything about this series (apart from the fact that people die because of a book), I just came to contribute the fact that I know there's a stage musical in Japan on Death Note if you're interested on looking it up. I only know about this because I have a friend at school who is obsessed with anime and manga like Death Note and such.

19. Quiet Raven

Completely agree with Kageshiro.

Although, I was not a fan of the new intro at all. While I see where some people are coming from on how it depicts Light's decent into madness... it just didn't click with me.

But the show as a whole, amazing. Best show ever. And, well, Kageshiro explained it perfectly in his first post so I have nothing more to say, lol.

#19 Quiet Raven, Aug 26, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  20. Zippi

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I really don't like the new intro. It's too, eh... Loud and chaotic. I liked the creepy relative calm of the original intro. The new one takes away the feeling of the show, I think.