1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out Advice

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by antonsenar, Aug 23, 2015.

1. antonsenar

Out Status:
    A few people
    Yo,

I'm 99% sure that im a lesbian (Ill figure it out before coming out to my family). I have the need to come out to my family, but I dont know exactly how to go about it. My mother is very accepting of the LGBT+ community, and my dad is beginning to accept it. They knew I was questioning my sexuality for awhile, and now that Ive got it mostly figured out I'm having trouble. As most of you would probably know, its really hard to try to come out of the closet. I dont want to just burst out "Im gay, guys" or something abrupt like that. I'm just extremely nervous and am scared im going to change my mind (about being lesbian, its unlikely, I know) and so many things are keeping me from expressing myself to my family. I've already come out to some of my friends, and they were really accepting and it felt great to do that. My parents are a much bigger step and I just need to know: How in the world do you come out as gay to your parents.

Thank you guys.

2. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Have you thought of writing your parents a letter? If you need people to look at it first before giving it to your parents, I'm sure the people on here would be more than willing to look it over first.

3. TempUsername3

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    You could always drop it casually in conversation like its nothing special. When my sister's friend came out to me as asexual, she dropped it so casually I almost didn't realize she'd said it at all.

4. blueshadedsoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well if they're accepting and were already aware that you were questioning, I guess that makes things a lot easier. I don't think you can find a perfect moment to tell them though, but just make it casual if you don't want to make a big deal out of it. You can just mention to them that you already came to a conclusion about your sexuality. And don't worry about changing your mind later, as you said that's not likely to happen, but even if it does you don't have to feel bad about it, sexuality is fluid anyway. Many people come out more than once and there's nothing wrong with that. Just don't stress too much, I'm sure it'll go well. Good luck :grin:

5. SwimScotty

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Coming out in the course of a conversation is the best way to do it. That's how I've come out to almost all of the people who know about me. Honestly, if you just continue with the conversation like it never happened, people tend to just roll with it and sometimes even forget it ever happened (reminding them is awkward sometimes, but you get the point).