1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Worried about coming out to family

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Piglettigger, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Piglettigger

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm fairly worried about coming out as lesbian to my family. I am already out to my 3 closest cousins, but if I get a girlfriend, I won't want to hide my relationship with her. The only problem is that I'm pretty sure that my paternal grandparents are homophobic and would try to take me to church if they found out. I'm pretty sure that all my cousins are tolerant, but I'm not sure about my auntie m, and she seems to be the sort of person that might gossip. I honestly have no idea whether my maternal grandparents are homophobic. See the thing is, my extended family honestly mean so much to me, so I don't want to have to keep a secret, but for the same reason I would be so heartbroken if they thought lesser of me for being a lesbian (mainly my maternal grandparents actually). Please help thanks :/

2. BiAndSingle

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If you are feeling nervous then I think you should trust your family to accept you and you have your cousins support with this but Im not experienced on this field as I have yet to come out as bi to my family but I still thing that you should trust your family

3. TeamTeal

Maybe you can start off by coming out to your most trusted family members and keep your (gossipy) aunt for last or for whenever you feel comfortable and supported enough to do so.

As for your maternal grandparents, it's not so hard to figure out if someone is homophobic or not, it just takes bringing up the subject with a random story and see their reaction. From there, you can decide what to do, how and when.

4. RyanMillerbi

RyanMillerbi Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    before telling them try to teach them and show them reserch about sexuality and work on trying to change there ideals if they come in to acceptence and other things tell them later and talk to them and tell them im still the person u know even thought my sexuality is diffrence but that dosent make me wut u think wut u think i am or if they still dont accept it find a place find a job move out then tell them later and if they dont want to talk to u just try to ignore them of there idotciey and just ignore the topic and dont try to kiss ur gf or any topic matter in front of them